Vogue Paris September 2012 : Kate Moss, Daria Werbowy and Lara Stone by Mert & Marcus

Not sure I'm following any of the arguments but the first post kind of settles it..

Everyone fantasizes about Paris. It’s the concept of the ‘Parisienne.’ The ‘Parisienne’ is a girl who makes people dream worldwide, rightly or wrongly, a girl who represents a particular style, a taste, an allure.

Yes, let's not get patriotic here people, like quoted from MulletProof it's the concept.

Really can't wait to see the content of this.

I don't see anything that would remind me of "La Parisienne" in those covers though...

^ Apparently black is the go-to-color for Parisians, at least that's what Emmanuelle says.

^ If that's how she justifies picking this look for the cover, she has to be an airhead :lol:

im shocking at the idea that being parisienne or celebrating parisienne models have to wear french made clothes. seriously, how silly and narrow minded when people are criticizing this fact.

imo, celebrating parisienne means celebrating their cultures, styles, etc. wearing italian or american brands doesnt mean u r any less parisienne. the origins of clothes could be from anywhere in the world as long as it fits the aesthetic of parisinne.

haters will always be haters!

Amen. Anyone that thinks the Parisienne style is reduced to White french woman wearing Chanel needs to dust off the history books.

Can anyone tell me if in the past have all Vogue Paris multi covers been shipped to the UK when this has happened before? Or is it more likely that only one cover will be imported?

They did it for May 2010 and all covers made it over the channel and I saw all the covers in stores.

Great cover but I can tell the newness of it. Anyone care to make a comparison? Alt is doing a great job. The August issue is a hit!

i like kate's cover best i think, but i would not have chosen these 3 at all!

im shocking at the idea that being parisienne or celebrating parisienne models have to wear french made clothes. seriously, how silly and narrow minded when people are criticizing this fact.

imo, celebrating parisienne means celebrating their cultures, styles, etc. wearing italian or american brands doesnt mean u r any less parisienne. the origins of clothes could be from anywhere in the world as long as it fits the aesthetic of parisinne.

haters will always be haters!

... and love is blind B)

what annoys me, is that Alt is trying to sell her Vogue Idea (or lack of creativity) with that "Parisienne" Thing and fools us at the same time with that Italian Dress.
Seriously Dolce & Gabbana sells so much Italy with their latest campaigns which literally ooze that La Dolce Vita.
So if you're playing with clichés, keep em real!
A great solved modern Parisienne Theme is the YSL "Parisienne" Campaign with Kate, that gives the right feel, imo.
Compared to this the Covers look like: After a Hard Night @ Moulin Rouge

C'mon guys, Emmanuelle knows what is Parisian, she is a Parisian born and bred, In all fairness myself and a few of us here at first thought the dress was Chanel, how much more Parisian can you get than Chanel ? I think Cliches should be ruled out, it is all about the attitude and the allure than the general look, for me Parisians are all about the attitude.

Emmanuelle is all about the attitude to her pictures anyway, for me they [the covers] do have a certain Parisian/French allure to them, the hint of nudity and the attitude, I just think cliches need to be set aside and to not take Emmanuelle's statement so seriously, her whole approach as she has said before is about accessible fashion that women desire to look like.

One note I have got to say, she has made this Dolce & Gabbana piece quite alluring, it is by far better here on the cover as opposed to on the runway, it was quite a risky choice but it definitely works.

Funnily enough Emmanuelle talks about Terry Richardson's cliche of Paris...

I remember all three covers of May 2010 arriving here, and the June/July 2008 covers arrived also. So I'm certain these should come over, at least I hope so, because I'm wanting the three.

They did it for May 2010 and all covers made it over the channel and I saw all the covers in stores.

^Thanks, knew I could rely upon you two to answer my question. I'll aim for all 3 covers or just take whatever one is available in stores.

Well I am French, I may not be a "Parisian" anymore like Mrs. Alt. But I was born in Paris and I spend enough time in the city to tell you that there's nothing Parisian at all about any of these covers. All they make think of is an impersonation of a kinky french maid. Yes black is the color of Paris we get it, but not one parisian woman ever wear a lace dress with nothing underneath and just a red lipstick. That's not Paris, that's jsut the fantasy of the Parisian woman. We want to avoid clichés but the covers themselves are ridiculousl clichés. But hey it's fashion, and in a way fashion is more about fantasy than reality, right ?
I'm not saying Emmanuelle doesn't have more to offer on the subject. Let's see what's inside to really judge, but if you want to judge the cover son that it's a miss in my opinion. But please she won't fool me. Paris is more than black clothes, erotic bourgeoisie and Garance freakin Doré. I was already a bit upset that everybody thought Marion Cotillard was the perfect embodiment of the parisian woman last month. So I hope this month contents will make up for the once again irrelevant cover.

I love the Kate Moss cover! Kate fills more space in the cover and her lips colour are great and of course its Kate with her amazing facial stracture!

what annoys me, is that Alt is trying to sell her Vogue Idea (or lack of creativity) with that "Parisienne" Thing and fools us at the same time with that Italian Dress.
Seriously Dolce & Gabbana sells so much Italy with their latest campaigns which literally ooze that La Dolce Vita.
So if you're playing with clichés, keep em real!
A great solved modern Parisienne Theme is the YSL "Parisienne" Campaign with Kate, that gives the right feel, imo.
Compared to this the Covers look like: After a Hard Night @ Moulin Rouge
I'd agree with you in the rest of the issues Alt has done and Alt's work in general but I feel like she's not pursuing to speak for the average female resident of Paris, she's not a politician, and this is actually the same complain about streetstyle pictures of a certain city and whether the average people dress better or worse than those captured, thing is, in the case of street style you do select people and choose those that are interested and consciously looking to express themselves through fashion in some way (they all express themselves but not everyone's aware of it) because you're aiming to present fashion (what type? that's up to the photographer and his audience). Now, back to Paris, it is a cliché but it's also got to do with history and the changes in garments used worldwide that Paris-based designers established, that's when the concept of "Parisian" comes to play, you don't associate it with a person, not even with a city per se despite the name, it's an approach to fashion, a certain look, a celebration of strength and confidence (esp. explored in a time when women had to looked soft and frail).. it may not even be needed anymore and it has blended with cultures and lifestyles but the fashion industry has continually exploited it and Vogue Paris, because of its name, has chosen to celebrate it without bothering to enter the territory of politics and bothering on whether the dress is designed in Italy, manufactured in China, brought via the US, worn by *gasps* a Canadian model born in Ukraine. That's the beauty about fashion, that it's a language and a legacy of aesthetics anyone can revisit and wear.

Now celebrating Parisian Style with that dress and that styling is revisiting the person that built the concept as we know it: Yves Saint Laurent.

View attachment 645635View attachment 645637View attachment 645639
Yves Saint Laurent HC S/S 2002 via stylebistro

In his last collection, when he summarized everything he had done, the way of carrying a dress, the not-so-perfect beauty that has enough pride and elegance to look impeccable, the accessorizing, those fabrics that are either extremely sharp or flowing without ever appearing unkept.. the red lips and tied hair.. you could see that was the understanding of beauty he firmly believed in despite how repetitive it became in his last years, how he made his mark and what we all grew up associating his label and his city of inspiration with. It may be a cliché but he made history and I don't see why feeling insulted or ashamed or just neglecting an aesthetic that is historic in fashion and that makes most women look beautiful regardless of their race, age, body type or what society sees as "flaws".

If Dolce & Gabbanna's Sicialian phase happens to coincide with many of the iconic pieces of Paris' legends, why not using them?

Attachments

• Yves0.jpg
    Yves0.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Yves1.jpg
    Yves1.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Yves2.jpg
    Yves2.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 14
Please educate yourselves about the so called Parisienne look if your biggest issue with this cover is the fact that they are wearing Italian dresses instead of French ones.
That being said, I think Vogue Paris has really outdone themselves with this issue. Three different covers with three different super models, all with the same pose wearing the same dress.. how special and not lazy at all. *sigh*

what bothers me a little bit is not the cover or the fact with the "parisienne" style and the italian dress.. i like the covers a lot and think emanuelle did a good job!
its more that emanuelle obviously tries to pretend she would somehow give vogue paris a (parisienne) identity again, that she would make the whole magazine more french.
but lets not forget that this idea is old and that it was carine (sorry for mentioning her again..) under who the magazine was more french and parisienne than ever before and even more than nowadays. it was her dark, edgy, sophisticated and elegant style which you associate to a parisian woman. and carine is not considered as THE french elegant woman with THE parisian style in vain.
i am sure alt will keep doing a good job and of course the magazine makeover can be great as well, but she should not adorn herself with borrowed plumes...

what bothers me a little bit is not the cover or the fact with the "parisienne" style and the italian dress.. i like the covers a lot and think emanuelle did a good job!
its more that emanuelle obviously tries to pretend she would somehow give vogue paris a (parisienne) identity again, that she would make the whole magazine more french.
but lets not forget that this idea is old and that it was carine (sorry for mentioning her again..) under who the magazine was more french and parisienne than ever before and even more than nowadays. it was her dark, edgy, sophisticated and elegant style which you associate to a parisian woman. and carine is not considered as THE french elegant woman with THE parisian style in vain.
i am sure alt will keep doing a good job and of course the magazine makeover can be great as well, but she should not adorn herself with borrowed plumes...

Alt was chosen became editor she is an integral part of the aesthetic Carine created for the magazine. If they wanted someone to break the mould they would not have chosen Alt. I'm glad Alt is the editor exactly because i loved Carine's work and i would not have wanted the magazine to have gone in a different direction.

I think the discussion we are having about Parisienne style is totally absurd, real Paris style has nothing to do with with Vogue Paris version of Paris style. Paris is a multicultural city and is no longer defined by an elite, that incidentally even in the past was also was a mash up of all sort of nationalities. So the irony is glaring.
Vogue Paris simply perpetuates a fantasy of Parisian woman, maybe the YSL fantasy of Parisian women, do this covers look like Vogue Paris to me? Yes they do, I couldn't care less if the models or the dress is not french, I'm actually quite happy Alt didn't also. It's just an aesthetic, nothing more. And aesthetic that can be recreated by any anyone anywhere in the world.
Carine already did the french models literally dressed as a cliché for the french issue. To tell the truth i much prefer this covers, they won't set the world alight, the others didn't also, but the girls look beautiful and very Paris Vogue.

It's like the concept went WOOSH right over everyone's head.

Anyways, great cover choices, great covers themselves, and I can't wait to see the rest of the issue!

I seriously know why the Parisienne issue blew up. Maybe what Alt is trying to say is that a Parisienne retains her style but goes global.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prettyboutique
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->