What To Wear On An Airplane

Id also take the flats too.... but take the cashmere... you might regret not taking it... and it could be cool at night

traveling on a plane is probably those few times when i dont care what im wearing. i travel a lot so most of the time i just wear something im comfortable in, that doesnt crease easily and that will keep me warm.

All black (I'm usually wearing all black anyway)

Comfortable pants (not jeans)
Lightweight top
Maybe my cashmere sweater in case it gets cool
Scarf/large shall as a wrap for warmth
Ballet flats

Keep it simple, keep it light, keep it comfortable, but layer in case it gets cold.

I'm headed to LA in two weeks and have decided to wearing an oversized tank, leggings, ballet flats, and a jean jacket would be best on the 6 hour flight. I'm bringing a large tote with me and stuffing flip flops and shorts in it so I can change in the airport bathroom. I know that once I hit the cab, I'll be suffering in the heat.

Bringing a huge shawl, a pashmina for example, is my number one must when travelling having thought about it.. One that you can wear around the neck but that is large enough to drape around you like a blanket. I have had one pashmina for years and it goes with me everywhere.

i'm headed to Peru in 9 days to work in a childrens home and am just completley confused about what to wear. if it where holiday or business i would know, but this is kind of confusing. i am not suppsed to look wealthy, so i am just using my backpack as a carry on instead of my longchamp bag. it is 95 here in FL and it is 50s 60s when i get to peru. who knows i guess i will just close my eyes and pick lol

A little advice from your soon-to-be neighbor to the southern . . . I'm currently located a ways down from you in good old central Chile and we've been having unprecedentedly warm weather. I don't know the altitude of where you'll be, but you'll be much closer to the equator. We've had steady weather in the 20's in celsius/70's in fahrenheit. But if you're a Floridian, everything might be cold to you, so I don't know.

I would say where a fitted tee or long-sleeved shirt depending on the weather. Go for fitted jeans too. It would definitely be a bad time to break out the Chanel or Prada, (1) because it's not practical, (2) because you want to look modest. So go for basic, fitted clothes when you're working.

As for the plane ride itself, I recommend the same thing quite honestly. Although I don't know what time of the day you'll be arriving.

Revisiting this thread --- what would you consider an age-appropriate (but not sloppy)outfit to wear on a plane ride to the Caribbean if you are 40+?

Yes, you are flying to a beach location, however, short-shorts and sneakers are not an option for the plane ride.

I usually wear something comfortable but still decent.

I wear a tank top or tshirt, jeans, slip on sneakers and a zip up black hoodie.

For make up, I just use a daily moisturizer and some burt's bees lip balm. That way I don't get dehydrated skin and I look presentable without having to wear make up.

It has to something very comfortable if im going on a long flight( 9+ hours) because on those flights i'm either being sick or sleeping ( to avoid being sick) lol

Usually it's Track pants, Thongs(flip flops), a tank top and a i carry a hoodie with me, and bring a pair of shorts on the plane with me so i can change if i want to.

Short flights is pretty much whatever i want to be wearing when i'm at the destination.

I wear black leggings, a long sleeve shirt, a-line sleeveless dress and ballet flats. The same oufit that Kate Boseworth wears in a pic for celebrities who travel. I have scarves and cardigans and socks if I get cold. I find it comfortable and easy to wear. You can take off and add as necessary! Not to mention non constraining. I think that's why I never wear jeans I find them uncomfortable.

Try taking some Dramamine.

I get motion sickness on airplanes, so I always take some before a long flight.

Ginger pills are a good alternative, since ginger helps nausea.
It has to something very comfortable if im going on a long flight( 9+ hours) because on those flights i'm either being sick or sleeping ( to avoid being sick) lol

Usually it's Track pants, Thongs(flip flops), a tank top and a i carry a hoodie with me, and bring a pair of shorts on the plane with me so i can change if i want to.

Short flights is pretty much whatever i want to be wearing when i'm at the destination.

Revisiting this thread --- what would you consider an age-appropriate (but not sloppy)outfit to wear on a plane ride to the Caribbean if you are 40+?

Yes, you are flying to a beach location, however, short-shorts and sneakers are not an option for the plane ride.
Hmm.. I'd probably wear a pair of cigarette pants in a light material (linen*?) that would cover your legs during the flight as it can get a little too fresh on the airplane but loose enough so that you can roll them up when once you get to your destination.. a loose top, a cardigan or light jacket and flats, with some sandals in your carry-on luggage just in case the heat is too severe the moment you step off the plane.. I think the outfit should be practical enough for both the airplane and your destination, and if you, like me, sleep on every flight :lol:, I'd probably take a light scarf as well.

I must say I too dislike the 'I'm going to/coming back from the beach' look on travelers at the airport, the bermudas/hawaiian shirt/tshirt/tank top/flip flops look.. it's just so ugly.. :ninja:, I prefer something maybe more covered up but still a little polished and spacious to allow room for air.. which is crucial for coping with the heat.

100109721.jpg
00180f.jpg

[style.com]

Err.. for those who love wearing dresses, the loose kind with tights, flats, et cetera.. do bring a pair of pants in your carry-on bag, you can never really know where your plane is actually going to land :lol:.. I just had such a bad experience at an airport (we landed in some other town because of some snowstorm going on) and I was hoping the entire time that I had worn pants instead.. you can just cuddle up in any corner of the airport you're stuck in without worrying too much about where your dress will be if you fall asleep and lose control of your positions. I'm honestly taking this lesson to heart. :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually wear a sweat/jogging pant (something as close to pajama pants as possible- yet still appropriate for outside the house :lol:) as I cannot sleep on planes and end up very tired/uncomfortable/cranky, so looser breathable comfortable materials are a MUST.
And then usually a tshirt, or tank with hoodie on top - no bra, fr the reason mentioned above... When I'm sleep deprived clothing really starts to irritate me (unless it's pjs) so my outfits gotta be as close to pjs as possible.
Then a pair of moccasins, or, depending on my destination, slip on sneakers with socks in my purse.

I would freakin die if I wore jeans on a plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dries Van Noten immediately came to mind...something like one of his soft print skirts or pants with an elegantly oversize t-shirt and roomy cardi or jacket, and bright ballet flats or wedges, maybe espadrilles, and an oversize necklace.

I like Mullet's light pants idea. I usually find longer skirts most comfy on flights, but many people prefer pants.

catwalking.com

I don´t really care how I look in airplane I just wanna feel comfortable...BUT loose dress and tights/leggings and flats is nice combination. It do not look messy or frumpy.
Also I allways carry knitted socks and warm sweater since I allways feel cold in airplane. oh and my own pillow, that is essential :D

I agree w/loose dress and leggings/tights. I wish I can go w/ slip on flats, but I always end up wearing my heaviest, chunkiest boots to save luggage space :rolleyes:!

One thing I definitely do is dress nicely on flights.

For the one simple reason that traveling makes you feel so gross, and the least I could do is be wearing stuff that makes me feel good during 30 hours of exposure to fatigue & grossness w/o showering:P.

I agree w/loose dress and leggings/tights. I wish I can go w/ slip on flats, but I always end up wearing my heaviest, chunkiest boots to save luggage space :rolleyes:!

One thing I definitely do is dress nicely on flights.

For the one simple reason that traveling makes you feel so gross, and the least I could do is be wearing stuff that makes me feel good during 30 hours of exposure to fatigue & grossness w/o showering:P.

So true!!!!:cool:

^ yes, amen to your last post, Melisande.. whenever I've had smooth itineraries (pretty rare, I have the most ridiculous/bizarre airport luck [last time someone had a miscarriage in the airport's bathroom and I was the only person there to call the paramedics and wait and pull out the lost nurse in me :mellow:..]), I have noticed that wearing a nice outfit does make you feel and look slightly better when you step off the plane (especially when you have a couple of connections) and look greasy and bloated or just feel that way.. I'd probably want to hide in the cargo area if I was also wearing funny pajamas or sweatpants with that skin and that hair. self-esteem over total comfort for me, by a long distance. :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->