What To Wear On An Airplane

^I hate hate hate flying because it literally makes me feeling gross and looking gross (HELLO BLOATING/BAD SKIN/GREASY HAIR...)
but at those times I let myself look not so good and it makes me feel good to see that no other look so well eather. hahah.
I don´t care how I look in plane but next time I try to care little more and look nicer to see if it really make me feel better.

I'm flying to Lyon today and I am wearing a vintage grey shift dress, my favorite trench and deena and ozzy wedges.
I never wear anything that's 100% comfortable. I like to look nice (there's always the possibility that they will bump you up to first class). :D
17267733_001_b

^ yes, amen to your last post, Melisande.. whenever I've had smooth itineraries (pretty rare, I have the most ridiculous/bizarre airport luck [last time someone had a miscarriage in the airport's bathroom and I was the only person there to call the paramedics and wait and pull out the lost nurse in me :mellow:..]), I have noticed that wearing a nice outfit does make you feel and look slightly better when you step off the plane (especially when you have a couple of connections) and look greasy and bloated or just feel that way.. I'd probably want to hide in the cargo area if I was also wearing funny pajamas or sweatpants with that skin and that hair. self-esteem over total comfort for me, by a long distance. :ninja:

in the airport bathroom...Holy Nightmare!! :blink:
Yes, self-esteem is a high priority when travelling, haha :lol:

Pchouclaire, your outfit sounds really nice!

I thought it might be nice to bring back this thread... I love traveling and seeing what others wear on the plane. Also, I was planning on going to Israel in January but plans changed so now I'm hoping to go this summer. So I'm still in the travel-bug mood.:D
Typically when I fly I wear a simple dress, leggings, flats/sneakers (which I really hate but they aren't bad looking it's for comfort), and a cardigan. I get wicked cold on flights so I'll usually pack a scarf too. And for the most part I pretty much never wear jewelry on flights either because it takes so much time going through security (once in a while I might have on my good luck necklace though). Hardly any makeup either just keep it simple with moisturizer, mascara, coverup if needed, and lipstick/or chapstick. But whatever I'm wearing I make sure it'll be comfortable. I don't care if I'm on a 3 hour flight or a 10 hour flight it has to be cozy.
I once sat next to this really chic women on a flight to Germany. She wore jeans, a nice grey sweater, heels (which she then changed for flats during the flight), and carried a LV purse. And I thought she was impeccable. Mind you, I was fourteen at the time but still sometimes when I travel I still think about that lady (who was so nice too. Even though she and I didn't speak much of the same language we still had a good chat.). She showed me that it doesn't have to be a "fancy" outfit to make an impression. And comfort is key. ^_^

I'm not at all scared of flying, but I saw a documentary once about airplane accidents where they recommended passengers to wear natural fibers to reduce risks of burns in case of accidents. Somehow this stuck with me so my standard flight uniform is a floor-length cotton/silk dress. I always have a problem with excess bagage :blush: so I wear all the jewelry I bring with me and generally fly in heels to wear as much of my bagage weight as possible, hehe..

i am still not good wearing nice outfits while travelling.
sweatpants, loose shirt, knitted socks...oh and good underwear!
i have some stories about bad underwear choices in long flights...

:doh::lol:

(and about good i mean comfortabel...not some fancy thongs and bras hahah)

i always try to look nice because it just depresses me if i don't, and it seems silly to wear ugly clothes that i'll just have to pack and lug back with me... @mimiV i do the same thing with wearing all the things i am either afraid to pack and don't want to lose if my baggage gets lost, or that especially heavy or bulky to pack.

i always try to still wear something nice-ish but comfortable and with shoes that slip off easily... or that were too big to pack! i'm a big fan of wearing a loose but belted dress that doesn't get too wrinkly with whatever pair of big heeled/wedge boots wouldn't fit in my suitcase, and of course a giant cozy but cute cardigan sweater... braids or a messy chignon are essential too since my hair gets so frizzy/staticky on planes.

keeping a few toiletries handy -- a tiny bottle of facial moisturizer, a little tube of toothpaste + brush, some floss, and some face blotting sheets or makeup remover/cleanser towelettes -- also always help WORLDS if you need to freshen up halfway through the flight or immediately after you land. i usually do a quick touch-up right before we land and slick on some bright red lipstick... it's totally ridiculous that this is true, but i also always feel that looking put-together, neat, and pretty helps with getting through customs etc a little bit faster too?

I have a pair of cargo-esque Zara basic leggings, with the pockets and zippers at the bottom and all that, which has been a designated part of my flight outfit for the past year. Comfortable and reasonably nice looking.

Generally ballet flats are a given, but on my planned trip at the end of the year I wanna bring a pair of 5 inch booties with me. Trying to figure out whether it is logistically ok to wear them on the plane, since I don't want to shove them in my suitcase. Gotta decide how much frantic running-through-airports is involved...

I always try to wear something comfortable but cute, and shoes I can take off quickly due to the TSA scanners & such. I'm seeing my boyfriend on Sunday so I'm still undecided on what to wear and I reallyy want to wear my doc martens but, but...

A tip if you ever are flying from somewhere snowy/rainy is to bring extra socks!! They wanted to scan my ankle boots and made me walk in my socks through a Paris airport post snowstorm... worst flight ever!

just got off from a 10 hour flight.
black cotton skinny pant (it's stretchy)
a nice wool sweater
soft military parka with scarf
slip-on shoes
but i do need to bring an extra pair of warm socks next time. my feet got cold for such a long flight.

I don't know if anyone still visits this thread but if they do Hey, please help! :lol:

I have to fly to Japan in April from London so about a 14 hour flight, but I fly from London to Germany first then connect to Japan.

But I've never been on a long flight before so need help in what to wear! I've read so many different things! If anyone could help that would be good!
I was thinking;
Casual dress,
Tights or leggings
Pumps,
And a cardigan.

I haven't heard too many people saying they wear dresses so not sure if it's a good idea!
And I don't want to wear trackies! :smile:

Thanks for any help!

^I've worn dresses before, but comfortable ones. I have a black slouchy jersey one that's my favorite for traveling. It's asymmetric so the length goes from just above the knee to my calves. I'll never wear anything that's above knee length really as I like to be able to fold my limbs, especially on long flights. That's why I'll never wear tights either, I prefer leggings as they cover a bit more, should I be unlucky and make an unwise move attempting to sit right.

I never wear heels either, flats are just more comfortable, especially for walking through airports searching for food, the right flight, the exit etc. So I often opt for ballet flats here.

Oh and I always wear some kind of cardigan and a scarf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely always wear the shoes that you can slip on and off easily - helps me with the security checks, bathroom trips or if I just simply want to put my feet up.
Love flying.

So for the first time in my life I wore jeans for long-haul flight (london-jakarta). It was not that bad actually. My jeans has lots of stretch, so maybe that helps.

Socks do help. I am using the one given by the airplane (it's the thick, fuzzy type) and it's good as my feet won't get cold and won't get dirty when walking to and from toilet. I think I will bring them for my next flight.
Posted via Mobile Device

First post. Slightly nervous. Oh well.

I fly a LOT. I've been flying since I was...what? 6, maybe 9 months old? So I'm really accustomed to getting dressed for flying.

Even if the flight is quite long, I tend to dress up. I don't see a need to get on a plane looking like the living dead in a velour tracksuit... So in saying that, it tends to be skinny jeans, boots (a real hassle at security...), any sort of shirt and a probably my trench coat if I'm flying back to London.

"I mean, if I'm gonna die, I don't want to have 'Juicy' sprawled across my ***." - a woman I overheard in London Gatwick airport.

"I mean, if I'm gonna die, I don't want to have 'Juicy' sprawled across my ***." - a woman I overheard in London Gatwick airport.

Welcome to TFS!!! ^_^Anyways, I think that quote has become my new motto when flying. I've always dressed nicely when traveling but I think this quote will be how I respond to those who ask why I'm so dressed up (A lot of people have asked me why I was wearing a nice outfit for "just a flight" as they put it)! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really dress up for flights but I never dress like a slob. When I go to NY I tend to wear leggings and long top with a oversized cardigan/sweater for the plane with flats (I wear my UGGs on board ONLY, they make great slippers). If I'm going at colder time of year I'll add a coat, and for somewhere hot I tend to wear a maxi dress and sandals.

My main objection to wearing an extravagant outfit is the hassle of going through security but it is still possible to look chic!

On flight skin care

One of the essentials I feel is best to wear is the Amore Pacific hydrating facial mask, it prevents my skin from looking dry and dull when i arrive to my destination from a long flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->