What to Wear to a Wedding (Your Own & As a Guest)

Ugh. I am still struggling shoe-wise. I ordered a pair of nude patent pumps, and while they will probably look lovely with the dress, I am not over the moon with the choice. I just like black shoes the best. Also I am a bit afraid that I, when all dresses up in my white dress, nude shoes, hair, makeup etc., will not feel like "me". :blink: I know, I am crazy.

Everyone is telling me that I cannot wear black shoes, and that would be my own opinion as well, but I want to wear black shoes >.< also everyone around me seems to think I am crazy to care about buying shoes that I will actually wear afterwards - it is just not me to buy something that I will only wear once.

Stop listening to everyone ... tell them to go away :wink:

I used to buy shoes in a taupe, beige, etc., telling myself they would go with everything. Perhaps they do, but I rarely wore those shoes! I always got more use out of dark shoes. So now I just don't buy them anymore. I do like my tan ballerinas with the snake toe ... somehow the warm color is different.

A lot of people here practice their hair and makeup before the day (i.e., with the professionals who will be doing it--not sure if you're planning to have things done or do yourself), so maybe you can do that, try everything on together, see how you feel & make sure everything is right. If you allow a few weeks, that gives you time to make adjustments if needed.

^I totally agree, follow your own feelings, do what feels good. It's your special day and not the other way around. :flower:

Betina, in all honesty nobody will care if you wear black shoes! How often do you meet people who get bogged down in detail like we do?:wink: As long as you are happy, your nearest and dearest won't mind what you wear:smile:

I hate my beige shoes as well btw. They are practical, and thats it.

Thank you, you guys! You are perfectly right - I will stop obsessing now :wink: - or try at least.

I'm giving this thread a bit of a bump as I got engaged this past weekend :heart: Very happy and exciting times indeed.

While the wedding itself won't be for a little while yet I've already turned my mind to the dress. The first thing that came to mind was a mermaid tale style dress as they are very flattering for my figure (hips)! I wore one to my debutante ball back when I was 16 and it worked really well. I'm also envisioning a delicate veil! I suppose the sleeves and neckline will be determined by what season we decide to have the ceremony in.

Honestly though, I think it will just be a matter of trying on a range of different styles and finding something that just feels 'right' so I'm not limiting my hunt at all.

I'll keep you all updated on my choices if anyone is interested!

Betina did you end up settling on the black shoes? I think they will work very well for a wedding, very elegant and chic. I have the biggest soft spot for black heels though :blush:

Congrats! :heart: And please keep us posted. I was lucky enough since the dress literally found me and not the other way around and during our engagement I haven't seen another one that I would love more, not even close. Our wedding was 3 weeks ago. :magic::crush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jina, your wedding looked beautiful:heart:

Hexagon sun, congratulation!:flower:

@Hexagon sun: congratulations! I am looking forward to seeing what you settle on! :flower: I ended up going with black shoes - still very happy with the decission, now that I have seen the entire look put together (26 days left)

@Jina: congrats! I cannot believe it has already been three weeks. You looked absolutely stunning. Any last minute advice for the big day?

Hope you are enjoying your honeymoon!

Thank you so much! Me neither, we came back from our honeymoon on Friday and it was absolutely amazing. ^_^ I already miss gorgeous Sardinia.

My biggest advice for you (and all the brides to be) is to enjoy your day and especially relax and don't worry about details going wrong. Because it is going to be the best day of your life anyway. :heart:
We were supposed to have an outdoor wedding (ceremony and reception), but it all moved indoor due to the weather. It was raining all day, except for after the ceremony, so at least we were able to have our photos taken in the beautiful nature. :smile:

Please keep us updated hexagon sun, love to hear your ideas and decisions. Congrats!

You're wedding was beautiful Jinadaze, you've created some very nice memories and pics.

Next on is Betinapple. :buzz:

@Jina: thank you! With all the stress ATM, so close to the wedding, it is very good advice.

@Nymphaea: I know! 3 weeks left now.

@HexagonSun: this is my shoes - actually, it will not be very visible that I am wearing black shoes - they will not show very much, even though my dress has as a slit in the front.

pics via nordstrom.com

Attachments

• samedelman.jpg
    samedelman.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 0
@Jina: thank you! With all the stress ATM, so close to the wedding, it is very good advice.

@Nymphaea: I know! 3 weeks left now.

@HexagonSun: this is my shoes - actually, it will not be very visible that I am wearing black shoes - they will not show very much, even though my dress has as a slit in the front.

pics via nordstrom.com

great shoe choice!

^ I second that! Absolutely beautiful shoes :heart:

Also thank you to everyone for your well wishes and great advice about relaxing and enjoying the day Jinadaze! A lot of my friends have said the same thing and I'll definitely try and keep it in mind throughout the whole planning process too.

I will probably start seriously dress shopping towards the end of the year or early next year. Although there a few bridal expos from now till then and something there may pique my interest... I will definitely post my choices!

So much planning to do, but all in good time ^_^

Also thank you to everyone for your well wishes and great advice about relaxing and enjoying the day Jinadaze! A lot of my friends have said the same thing and I'll definitely try and keep it in mind throughout the whole planning process too.

Especially in the last few weeks ... I was a nerve wrack during the last two or three weeks and knowing how "casual" and relaxed it will be in the end, I wouldn't worry half as much. :flower:
Also another advice - avoid too much of DIY things at all costs. :P It's overrated.

How big of a wedding are you planning to have? :smile:

^ You are not kidding on the DIY.

My sister had the brilliant idea that she could save $$$ by not having a caterer. After the rehearsal, the entire wedding party was in the kitchen dicing cheese late into the night. We also had to make a run with the security guard finding enough refrigerator space to hold everything--the food was scattered everywhere. Logistical nightmare :P And total Bridezilla to go with ...

My sister recently got engaged and has tasked me with scoping out the dress (she just bought a house, changed jobs, is kinda busy and I offered) to see what's on the market and how custom she will have to go. She's got some very specific requirements about the full skirt, beading (minimal, preferably none), and veil which is all fine, however she is dead set on having a one-sleeved gown.
It must be a strap, not a long sleeve or cap, must be drawn across the chest, not as though somebody just hacked off the other side, and shouldn't be like a flamenco dancer ruffle/frill. By God this is difficult, I have been trawling through every bridal/couture collection of the last 5 years on vogue.com with no luck.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this dress, where the lace top is cut away so that it leaves only a small strap on the model's right (our left), with the dress in total ivory (she's a redhead)

00090fullscreen.jpg

source: Elie Saab HC SS12 vogue.com

(I can't think about how it goes across the back to be joined to the dress, not yet)

Does anyone have any recommendations, or ideas from other collections to look at? I have an archive of fashion magazines and scrapbooks a plenty, but since the one-sleeve look is something I detest, it doesn't feature on my radar.

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't be wedding dresses, but if you want to look at one-shoulder treatments for custom purposes, you might check out Alber Elbaz's work for Lanvin (i.e., the 14 years prior to the last major collection). One-shoulder and other asymmetrical treatments are his thing ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaffir124
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->