What to Wear to an Interview for a Job or an Internship in the Fashion Industry?

I have an interview with a top music magazine and also a fashion mag. Should I just stick with a nice suit?

Capn_Birdseye welcome to tFS :smile: Have a look at this thread - the general consensus (which I agree with as well) is that definitely no suit!

I'm going to move your post to a more relevant thread about what to wear for job and internship interviews. For future reference, try using the search option which is available in each forum as there are heaps of older threads which are still very useful now, so they may not appear on the first page. :flower:

Hey all....my first TFS post! Anyways, I have an interview with one of the top men's fashion editors next week and do not know what to wear! It's an intern position at his latest venture, which is online.

I am on the fence about what to wear. It's online, so not super formal in an office, but it's also fashion. I was thinking dark wash Ksubis, a Thom Browne oxford, MJ grey tweed, and a blue/white striped thick Thom Browne scarf??

Not sure about the jeans though--too casual? Is the scarf too victim? We're meeting at Starbucks so the environment is also pretty informal. Help is much appreciated?

Welcome to tFS!

The scarf is too victim, I would say ... unless it's an uber trendy publication catering to fashion victims. But.... if it's cold out and you are wearing a jacket that you will take it off, you can also take off the scarf after you get a look at they guy you are meeting or leave it on (taking a cue from what he's wearing). When in doubt ... just don't wear it. Dark wash jeans are perceived as more dressy, so I think those would be fine ... espcially since it's an online publication, which always seem to be a bit more casual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one thing that's really important is to wear something that you're comfortable in (and of course, appropriate for the situation :P ) because if it isn't, you're going to be worrying about it for the interview and feel awkward and obviously not as comfortable as you should be. And when in doubt, say no :P

Though I like BetteT think dark wash jeans are fine :smile:

I have an interview for Topshop tomorrow.
I think I'm wearing a white shirt with little puff sleeves, a high waisted black and grey checked pencil skirt (which has attached braces which cross over at the back), black topshop tights and shellys black flats.
I'm going to jazz it up abit with a nice necklace and bracelets and have my hair tied up, with a bit of subtle backcombing.

Does this sound okay??

x

Sounds really good, trendy and young, which is totally TopShop. But I'd probably not do the bracelets. For a few reasons: First, it's easy to overdue it with jewelry so both necklace and bracelet might be too much. Secondly, you need to look ready to work ... and if the bracelets are big and clunky ... or smaller, but jangly ... they might look like they would get in your way when you are working. Lastly, .. if the make any noise, it could be very distracting for your interviewer and you don't want that.

I have an interview with FASHION magazine for an internship position on Friday and I'm not sure what to wear. I got into an argument with my mom because she said I'm not supposed to wear tights to an interview. I tried telling her it's for a fashion magazine, not a job with the city. Is it okay to wear tights to interview with a fashion magazine?

Here are my outfit options:

1) A loose cream-coloured tank top
A black high-waisted pencil skirt with zipper details
Black tights
Black flats

2) A white and purple polka dot blouse
A black cardigan
A blue-grey melange skirt (from AA)
A wide black belt
Black tights
Black flats

3) A white shirt dress
A black blazer
Silver chain necklaces a la Givenchy f/w 08
Black tights
Black wedges

You are correct ... they will accept more of a fashion or trendy vibe if it's a fashion magazine ... in fact they probably expect it.

I think that black tights should be OK ... but it would really depend on the magazine. You want to match your style to their style .... so if that is something that you see in the pages of their magazine (especially for this season ... spring) then I'm sure it would be good. But .... if you see them showing spring fashions with bare legs and no tights to be seen anywhere ... then I'd recommend that you follow suit.

I don't work in fashion (my industry is more conservative), and when it's cold, I always wear black tights to interviews. I got tired of spending money on flimsy hosiery, so tights are all I own now. It hasn't kept me from being a productive citizen :wink:

i have to do a presentation on fashion merchandising for a business course I'm taking, we have to look like we're interviewing; does a plain black tee and pencil skirt sound good with ankle strap pumps and a polished silver necklace of chains? i want to go for edgy but basic.

what to wear when your working in the fashion cupboard of a top fashion magazine?
its been so long since i last interned!

Smart casual - if you're in the fashion closet wear flats (or put them in your bag if you really want to wear heels).

ie something like:
- cool, casual blazer, stripey/grey marle tshirt or blouse, tapered pants with a belt
- shift dress and cardigan

Just always be well groomed and neat - you never know who you can bump into :wink: But being in the closet you have to be comfortable and be able to run around and carry things too.

How to dress for an interview

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post...I absolutely love this forum and hope you can help
I have 2 interviews this month for marketing/pr positions both with two big name, high-end fashion labels. I would really love some advice as to what is appropriate and not appropriate for an interview. I thought I could do my typical black suit, but now I am thinking I should be a bit more trendy. Any advice? :D

I'm not an expert but I think that the best thing is not to go over the top or try too hard to be trendy. Be yourself cause it's pretty easy to tell when someone is trying too hard.

I believe we already have two threads on this topic ... one is in Personal Style, let me find it ...

Merged with the other thread in this forum; here's the PS thread: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f58/what-wear-job-interview-8074.html

I think a black suit sounds fine, but I would add a bit of flair, perhaps with a colorful scarf. One thing I've done is to wear subtle black lace/openwork tights. My winter interview jacket has origami bows. That look has been successful :wink:

For a business side position in a fashion based company, I'm more into wearing pieces like a pencil skirt (could be a 'fashion' pencil skirt - like tiered, or other details, but it shouldn't be a mini or short in length of course!), and nice blouse with a jacket/cardigan, tights if it's cold, neat hair, minimal jewellery (ie studs rather than anything dangly obviously). You need to look professional but it's fine to show a bit of your personal style :smile:

I just posted this in the internship thread but it might be more appropriate to post it here. I just got an interview with a fashion stylist for an internship its on Wednesday. And I wanted to know how I should dress for the interview? The application said casual and the job description is as follows: "An interest in fashion and styling. Must be articulate, polite, well dressed, well mannered, can think on your feet and multitask." He's seems to be very trendy and works for some pretty big designers. I feel like I should dress nice.

Have a look at the suggestions in the thread :smile: Basic gist is wear jeans if you're comfortable with it, dress in something that you're comfortable in - nothing too fussy to make you nervous or fidget, and be 'fashionable' but not too OTT, but still yourself! :smile: Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->