What's Next in John Galliano's Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
inevitable. however i wonder what he is going to do next.

Very sad however John is too good to just disappear, he WILL come back sooner or later... I hope.

I don't support his racism at all, but nice way of kicking someone when he's down. Can't help but feel sorry for Galliano. I hope he will return to fashion somehow and get rid of whatever (mental or what it is) problem that is bothering him.
This was exactly the same thought that popped into my head as soon as I read the headline.

I mean I look at the situation and frankly I think the man's been punished enough. He was fired from an extremely prestigious, extremely lucrative job, has had his name tarnished (likely permanently), and is still facing the legal consequences, all the while dealing with substance abuse and the emotional turmoil that comes with trying to recover from it. This move really does seem almost cruel. I know there are people out there who don't think Galliano deserves sympathy, but I really do feel awful for him. I have no doubt that he's in far more pain than anybody, Jewish or otherwise, has felt as a result of his words, hateful as they were. Frankly this doesn't seem fair to me.

i'm sorry but i have no tolerance nor sympathy for what he's getting. he deserves everything coming his way. to say and do what he did,potentially speaks to a certain clientele and that reflects badly on his business and dior. above all,he said some pretty horrendous and grotesque things that should never,ever be uttered,especially by somebody in his position. good riddance i say. one less racist is fine by me. and you can say what you want but a lot of times,alcohol helps you say what you really feel.

and btw,if he really thought he would protected by his namesake,perhaps he shouldn't have sold shares. otherwise,he has no control over his position.

noooooooooooooooo...this cannot be happening..... im in tears...
hes fashion genius, he was fired from dior, do you want to kill him????????
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sorry but i have no tolerance nor sympathy for what he's getting. he deserves everything coming his way. to say and do what he did,potentially speaks to a certain clientele and that reflects badly on his business and dior. above all,he said some pretty horrendous and grotesque things that should never,ever be uttered,especially by somebody in his position. good riddance i say. one less racist is fine by me. and you can say what you want but a lot of times,alcohol helps you say what you really feel.

and btw,if he really thought he would protected by his namesake,perhaps he shouldn't have sold shares. otherwise,he has no control over his position.

You can not possibly think that you know how alcohol affects a person. It is notorious for having very different effects with different people. You may feel that you speak the truth when you are drunk because it makes you feel less inhibited. Others may go more heavily into role playing or any number of states of mind.

If Galliano gets the appropriate help he should be forgiven. I can't think of a good reason why not.

You can not possibly think that you know how alcohol affects a person. It is notorious for having very different effects with different people. You may feel that you speak the truth when you are drunk because it makes you feel less inhibited. Others may go more heavily into role playing or any number of states of mind.

If Galliano gets the appropriate help he should be forgiven. I can't think of a good reason why not.

by who? When it comes to forgiveness, no one is the same. Yes people can forgive and forget but in reality it's rare. Some people have been truly offended by him and others have brushed it off their shoulder. Just because he goes to some rehab for a month doesn't mean he is a saint now and everyone should act like it never happend.

from a company stand point, him being fired from Dior and his own label was the right thing to do. Obviously not everyone agrees with it but at the end of the day he represents a giant company.

if he was smart he would have secured the rights to his name years ago when the company was set up.

but he probably took an upfront fee instead. it was his decision. :innocent:.

by who? When it comes to forgiveness, no one is the same. Yes people can forgive and forget but in reality it's rare. Some people have been truly offended by him and others have brushed it off their shoulder. Just because he goes to some rehab for a month doesn't mean he is a saint now and everyone should act like it never happend.

from a company stand point, him being fired from Dior and his own label was the right thing to do. Obviously not everyone agrees with it but at the end of the day he represents a giant company.

Dior is the giant company in question. His own label is hardly a global conglomerate with a corporate image to protect. At the end of the day the house that bears his name is still going to bear his name, he just won't be there, but if his name is still on the label will firing him have made any difference if his name itself is synonymous with this controversy?

Besides, you don't think it slightly unfair that because of one or two transgressions a man's entire life work (meaning his label, not Dior) should not only be taken away from him, but should be chopped up and sold for parts as well? If LVMH wanted no association with him that's one thing, but to throw away the house that he built and struggled to keep? That punishment seems a bit disproportionate to his crime, to me at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was exactly the same thought that popped into my head as soon as I read the headline.

I mean I look at the situation and frankly I think the man's been punished enough. He was fired from an extremely prestigious, extremely lucrative job, has had his name tarnished (likely permanently), and is still facing the legal consequences, all the while dealing with substance abuse and the emotional turmoil that comes with trying to recover from it. This move really does seem almost cruel. I know there are people out there who don't think Galliano deserves sympathy, but I really do feel awful for him. I have no doubt that he's in far more pain than anybody, Jewish or otherwise, has felt as a result of his words, hateful as they were. Frankly this doesn't seem fair to me.

Exactly my sentiments on this, Spike. Somehow I find more horrifying the understanding of justice shown in this whole event than some bigot's verbal diarrhea. One can sort of understand the pointlessness of prisons or specialized centers, because, regardless of how good the re-adaptation programs are, at the time you're out, you still face a society damaged by such a simplified understanding of what good and bad is, that likes to live with the notion that there's such a thing as a type of human that resembles a monster and has no other dimension besides that and that forgiveness (if you qualify) can only be handed (by them, of course) when you've been humiliated and dragged on the floor several times more than whatever your offense caused. And that still might not satisfy some, it might not 'deserving' enough. It's a bit of a.. repulsive double-standard. As repulsive as the original offense. But then I might be being such a hypocrite here because to hate the punishment you must be then a sympathizer, right?. :innocent:

I don't agree with those who say Galliano shouldn't have sold shares in the company if he wanted to protect his namesake line. In the fashion world and outside of it, often times companies that NEED funding must rely on outside ownership. If he hadn't sold rights to his line, it probably wouldn't even exist right now. Think of Alexander McQueen.

That being said, the idea that LVMH should just let Galliano have his company back doesn't work either. It's not like LVMH will just give away millions of dollars just so someone can feel better.

It's a tricky situation, but LVMH has not handled it well. If they were going to fire Galliano, they should have fired him from both companies at the same time, not in a staggered manner.

I have no words for this. And hope he'll stand it.
What the man can actually do? Poor John.
And the world press is keeping distance. A rare fashion magazine speaks about it. Crazy. Dior's advertising money keep editors silent.

This truly saddens me deeply.
They are really trying to erase Galliano from fashion
at all means necessary. I hope he can overcome this

I don't agree with those who say Galliano shouldn't have sold shares in the company if he wanted to protect his namesake line. In the fashion world and outside of it, often times companies that NEED funding must rely on outside ownership. If he hadn't sold rights to his line, it probably wouldn't even exist right now. Think of Alexander McQueen.

but there are numerous legal ways he could have secured ownership of his name while still selling shares in the company.

many designers dont have rights to their name ie. jimmy choo, roland mouret and peter som. they sold those rights.

people forget that any normal non fashion company would fire people for these kind of acts.

if a video was posted on youtube of me saying those type of things I would be fired no question.

At least it offers him the opportunity to start again - perhaps it's better for him not to return to these companies. I wish him all the best, and hope that he can overcome his demons to find a renewed satisfaction in using his talents, supported by a good team around him.

Don't blame the messengers, folksies.
Clientele are not forgiving nor do they forget.... word of wisdom.

he may have the opportunity, if he wants to spend the money to buy back his company or the right to market a "john galliano" brand.

but wait a minute....didn't galliano kind of already destroy his own image when he made those remarks in the first place? that video was reverberated across the globe and everybody knows about it. i don't think firing him is what is going to tarnish his image.

i'm sorry but i feel like i see a lot of excuses and not enough blame placed on he himself. if this were a world leader making these statements,and not a beloved fashion designer,would some of us be so quick to jump to his defense,then? it just appalls me how sympathetic people have been to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->