What's Next in John Galliano's Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not turn this into one group is superior than the other/s. This is all about business.Galliano was wreckless. Went against corporate ethics. Paid dearly.Galliano can move on as he wish. No one will stop him... i just don't know who will or dare to invest in him.

Well you can also see it another way, any designer who joins Dior/LVMH will think twice because of the pressure. And more importantly the licensing of their name to be indiscriminately trashed by a large corporation for their financial gain. The work stress that came about was probably boiling in John for a long time so the next person knows that their new employer may not be what they seem.

^ I agree whole heartedly. While I can see why Dior would make much of an effort to disassociate and publicly disapprove of what John has said- but them to cut off all ties with Galliano doesn't necessarily make "Dior" a welcoming house to design for (for the new designer). While it would be an amazing opprotunity for the new designer to take on the role of the head designer for Dior- the pressure, along with the "you better not mess up. Ever" attitude can be too much trouble for what it's worth.

I don't agree with anything that he said at all- but underneath it all, I don't think he is a racist- but merely a broken man. Considering his influence on fashion in the last 20 years- with the HUGE internet boom where the world is connected to such a sky-rocketting degree- John Galliano to a great deal of us (who are into fashion or who know nothing about it) WAS Dior of the 21st century, he engrained his identity into Dior today and without his identity and how far he pushed it into where it was- who knows if people would have actually give a damn about Dior or not. You simply can't disown over a generations work of collections.

I'm somewhat surprised that Dior cut their ownership of the Galliano label. But either way, in the end- Dior looses and John looses. And I feel that for both parties- it would take a great deal of them to gain momentum again.

He did kill his career...that's for sure. Anyway he is just a designer...not Mother Teresa so calm down! If he was a nobody, I think everyone would feel differently!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is too much! This is his NAMESAKE, something HE HIMSELF have dreamed of having and have worked hard for! I mean, for example, when he decides to go back to fashion after 5 or 6 years of silence, what will he do? His name is being run by OTHER people..HIS NAME, so he can't just make a collection under his name, right?! That is so not fair and is therefore much more of a sin than acting racist while drunk!

He has apologized sincerely! He made a mistake and was therefore punished by being banished from one of the world's most prominent fashion houses as well as the place that made him a household name. Isn't that enough? Christian Dior SA or whatever company that owns John Galliano should just let go of his house instead of having other people work on it! Show some mercy! You say you're anti-racism, but what you're doing is actually degrading a person, so isn't that similar to racism?

but wait a minute....didn't galliano kind of already destroy his own image when he made those remarks in the first place? that video was reverberated across the globe and everybody knows about it. i don't think firing him is what is going to tarnish his image.

i'm sorry but i feel like i see a lot of excuses and not enough blame placed on he himself. if this were a world leader making these statements,and not a beloved fashion designer,would some of us be so quick to jump to his defense,then? it just appalls me how sympathetic people have been to him.

The world is being run and destroyed by cold, ruthless sociopaths who would never, ever, loose control or say anything to offend. So I would welcome a drunken rant from a politician. It would show he had a heart, had empathy, felt pain. Far too many of those perfect political performers out there don't.

What makes LVMH think someone would actually buy from the John Galliano Collection without John Galliano the designer? No matter who steps in to designer the John Galliano brand, it will forever be associated with the man himself since it has his own name. LVMH should have just cut down funding for his own brand or fish it around to another company and share some of the profits or at least allow the man to buy back his own name. There is just no way it will survive without him.

Is there any possibility Galliano can take legal action against LVMH in regards to his own brand?

LVMH firing him from Dior was a good "slap on the wrist" but what they're doing right now is more like putting the man through death row and not looking back.

He did kill his career...that's for sure. Anyway he is just a designer...not Mother Teresa so calm down! If he was a nobody, I think everyone would feel differently!

I cannot stand comments like this! If you can't bring anything to the actual discussion then why come back in the thread with such a irrelevant comment? Not one person in this thread agrees with his racist comments. This about his own brand and the way it is being handled through scandal.

And? Does that mean we should excuse all racism because in your view some type of racism are more punishable than others? Shouldn't that be the other way around? Plus, why must people turn this question into something so simplistic and basic, we are not machines, the way our sensibilities are formed towards certain type of abuse is all about context, culture, history, it's a whole world of subtle elements that create a culture. The law in some countries even takes in account this fact and rightly so.

Regardless i do not believe for one minute that he's out because people feel shocked by his comments, this may be the reason they gave but come on? Have you seen the clothes? He couldn't be more out of touch if he tried. They are nasty, tacky and super chavy. If you add to that a designer with a volatile personality that apparently absents himself quite often. I'm not surprised they lapped, and the same goes for Dior, at the first excuse they got.

He has more talent in his little finger than 90% o all designers have in total.

It's a little funny that most people who think his drunken rant was unforgivable and a true sign of his innermost feelings also happen to heartily dislike his work.

Yeah, I have to read 1984 again.

What makes LVMH think someone would actually buy from the John Galliano Collection without John Galliano the designer?

Majority of people who actually buy clothes don't know or even what to know who designed them. If there is a myth around a brand they'll buy into that, lots of people actually believe Christian Dior himself is still alive and behind the Dior brand; a very small percentage of people know who is this John Galliano and they don't give a damn about whether he designed some skirt or someone from design team did, regardless whether they get Dior or Galliano skirt.
Not his brand, but... Dior's haute couture clients might be miffed however, they actually knew John, or at least who he was and his presence and talent made at least some sales in that department. I kinda fear Dior Couture might go same sad and pathetic route Valentino went without a strong public persona behind it. :ninja:

If Galliano's being punished this harshly, then why isn't this happening to every other racist? There is SO much racism everywhere, why is no one else having their careers completely destroyed for it? I raise this point because I've been racially discriminated before (and probably even worse than this!), and I've seen it happen to other people of all other races, but they've never received a punishment this extreme.

It's really weird, actually. John is not the first who makes racist/anti-semitic statements, some other have managed to do same and worse on tv, not on some phone camera and they didn't get any flak. I forgot how the Guerlain mini-scandal ended, but I kinda don't recall anyone having legal issues or something at that. Isn't Guerlain also A LVMH brand? :blink:
I'm kinda getting a conspiracy theory feeling, John might have pissed off someone personally, either before the incident or with it and now is getting to feel the wrath of that someone. So might be it's not about John being unstable and politically incorrect, but about some personal matter and that's just getting used as an excuse to kick him some more. In any case - really idiotic and childish. :innocent:

I totally understand him getting fired from Dior, they don't want to be at all associated with racism... but seriously? Firing him from his own line, named after him? If it's called 'John Galliano', it'll always be associated with him whether he's fired from it or not.
I feel sorry for him, if he's had a mental breakdown or something like that, yes it was bad to say what he said... but seriously, when you're mentally ill, you don't exactly know what you're saying, by all means sue him if you're offended, but seriously, to take away everything he's worked hard for... that's too far, I mean this whole thing has reeked of someone trying to get their revenge on him.

by the way I'm aware I said 'but seriously' wayyy too many times in this post!

Donna Karan Goes to Bat for Galliano
By Nathan Burstein

Read more: http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/137057/#ixzz1JiGYNM3pJust when you thought you were safe from John Galliano news, New York magazine has found an apologist for the anti-Semitism-spewing designer.
Jewish fashionista Donna Karan has gone to bat for the disgraced Galliano, who faces prison time in France for public rants about his “love” for Hitler and other hate speech. Presumably in reference to his firing by the Christian Dior fashion house, Karan told the magazine that Galliano’s remarks were “blown up out of proportion.”
“He’s a wonderful designer, a brilliant designer, and he probably needs help and support right now,” she said, explaining why his comments should be overlooked. “To be a designer’s a very taskful situation, and sometimes it can push a few limits.”
Karan’s comments put her at odds with Natalie Portman, who condemned the designer immediately after his comments came to light. But she has at least one ally in her views - “Sex and the City” costumer Patricia Field, who also came to his defense after his firing.
Nor is she his only Jewish defender - Galliano’s lawyer, as the Shmooze noted in March, is also a Jew.

Read more: http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/137057/#ixzz1JiGNE19V

-----

^lol um no, I think you misunderstood my post.
I'm just saying that giving different punishments to different forms of racism is racist in itself. I am by NO means saying that Galliano should be excused.

I think people can't seem to grasp this point.

we're talking about the draconian punishment that is happening to Galliano...not trying to make excuses for him.

Majority of people who actually buy clothes don't know or even what to know who designed them. If there is a myth around a brand they'll buy into that, lots of people actually believe Christian Dior himself is still alive and behind the Dior brand; a very small percentage of people know who is this John Galliano and they don't give a damn about whether he designed some skirt or someone from design team did, regardless whether they get Dior or Galliano skirt.

We aren't talking about JCPenny's here! Anyone able to afford something as expensive as John Galliano would more than likely know who the man is and possibly the drama that is surrounding him right now. Dior goes beyond just couture and collections so the average consumer can still afford the perfumes, bags, makeup, etc to not really care enough to know who Dior actually is but just the luxury behind the brand.

Not to be too off topic but I find it interesting the lengths that Dior has gone to punish Galliano when one of the victims themselves didn't believe that Galliano was a racist and defended him from further repercussions from the whole event.

Of course, the public has the right to be offended by his remarks but Dior's actions seem much more extreme when those that were directly attacked have a much higher capacity for forgiveness.

We aren't talking about JCPenny's here! Anyone able to afford something as expensive as John Galliano would more than likely know who the man is and possibly the drama that is surrounding him right now. Dior goes beyond just couture and collections so the average consumer can still afford the perfumes, bags, makeup, etc to not really care enough to know who Dior actually is but just the luxury behind the brand.

I don't think purchasing John Galliano's namesake brand gives anyone a free course on brand history. :lol: People buy it because they see it in magazines, hear about it, like it in store and so on. There is a percent of customer who really goes in-depth, does research, watches fashion shows, interviews - they know more about the brand and designers than anyone. But most people aren't that particular, believe it or not. You may go to store and ask people who buy John Galliano if they know who designed it or who this John is and what he does. You'd be surprised how many fashion illiterates you'll find and what motived them to get the particular pieces.
Also John Galliano is really not that expensive, and the 'younger' Galliano line is priced even lower. Last time I checked (ok, this week), D2squared womens line has higher prices for same stuff, leather jackets, long gowns than John Galliano; floor length black silk gown from D2 was about 3200 EUR while JG had a more unusual cut for same length and material, but was like 2600-ish or so. Of course I could also pick some 10'000 fully lined hand embroidered gown too, but that hardly represent the mean pricing of the brand.

Have you seen the clothes? He couldn't be more out of touch if he tried. They are nasty, tacky and super chavy.

Chavy? Could you give some examples of such from his work? Yes, he's not subtle but I'd think he'd be one of the last to be labeled thus, when houses like Balmain reign supreme with clothes that could also be called nasty, tacky, and super chavy.

I don't think purchasing John Galliano's namesake brand gives anyone a free course on brand history. :lol: People buy it because they see it in magazines, hear about it, like it in store and so on. There is a percent of customer who really goes in-depth, does research, watches fashion shows, interviews - they know more about the brand and designers than anyone. But most people aren't that particular, believe it or not. You may go to store and ask people who buy John Galliano if they know who designed it or who this John is and what he does. You'd be surprised how many fashion illiterates you'll find and what motived them to get the particular pieces.
Also John Galliano is really not that expensive, and the 'younger' Galliano line is priced even lower. Last time I checked (ok, this week), D2squared womens line has higher prices for same stuff, leather jackets, long gowns than John Galliano; floor length black silk gown from D2 was about 3200 EUR while JG had a more unusual cut for same length and material, but was like 2600-ish or so. Of course I could also pick some 10'000 fully lined hand embroidered gown too, but that hardly represent the mean pricing of the brand.
Are you speaking about Dior's customers or Galliano's, because I guarantee that most people who pick up/try on/purchase or in any way shop for a John Galliano piece know who he is. His label is just not the kind of mega-brand that people know without knowing about.

^ Let's just say I don't believe you because it doesn't agree what I see here, John Galliano has been carried in stores here for over a decade (since '98 or so) and people think the it's Italian brand because it's Made in Italy and stuff like that, some are pretty close and think it's British fashion brand, kinda like Vivienne Westwood. On other hand people who cry/pass over over his namesake shows and talk on their blogs how amazing it all was are not the ones purchasing any of the clothes or even the perfume.
It may be so in New York what do I know, never been there so I take your word for it.

He has more talent in his little finger than 90% o all designers have in total.

It's a little funny that most people who think his drunken rant was unforgivable and a true sign of his innermost feelings also happen to heartily dislike his work.

Yeah, I have to read 1984 again.

Are they? You couldn't get it more wrong if you tried.

I actually i am the opinion think he was an amazing designer and some of his collections were unforgettable, i do think that regardless of whatever he said, his place is history of fashion as someone with incredibly talent is assured.
But like any other artist it's almost impossible to keep the quality of your work at the highest level forever and his quality has been steadily declining for a couple of years. Only someone totally blinded by fandom cannot not see it.And his own brand in the last years was simply hideous.

Plus it's absolutely irrelevant if he is or not a racist, I have no idea and frankly no interest to know if this rant was a "true sign of his innermost feelings" or not, the fact remain that what he said was racist and extremely serious and has to be deal with in that level. Why he thought it was an acceptable thing to say it's up to him to analyze, none of us know enough of the man to reach a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->