Working for Modeling Agencies ... Becoming an Agent, Booker, Scout, Manager

Where exactly are the "unusual places in the world," I am not trying to be facetious but where would be considered unusual these days?

There's an interesting discussion on The Guardian website about careers: Working as an agent, not just model agents, but also other agents such as sport, literature etc.
Emily Shanks from Storm Models was on the panel, here's some info:

Every day is very different, however as a model agent there are key daily duties; Firstly promotion of the models or talent. This is done by making ‘go-sees’, setting up appointments with photographers, magazine, casting agents. In special bookings, pr is also key way of promoting the talent to clients. We’ll have strategic pr plans for each person, ie interviews with influential titles, attending key fashion events etc.

Other daily duties include negotiating contracts, usage, fee etc when it comes to booking jobs, sending models updates to our worldwide client list, developing the website, online marketing, updating portfolios with new images, arranging travel/accommodation, calling in clothes to dress more high profile talent, discussing new models or talent to take onto Storm books, sorting out work permits, meeting new photographers/clients.

New Faces agents focus on finding new talent and developing them. We scout all around the country, at festivals, events or with competitions and we also encourage people interested in modelling to come into the agency (details on website: " />http://www.stormmodels.com). Developing new models the careers often takes time, with test shoots, building up their portfolio and teaching them skills to be a successful model. It’s important the models know how to move in front of a camera, this is why we set up ‘test shoots’, often with up and coming photographers, so they can build up their book and practice being in front of a camera. We also will teach the girls how to walk (for a catwalk show) and present themselves when meeting clients/photographers etc.

And we havent even started talking about FASHION WEEK!
Personality is very important and it’s extremely rewarding to be invovled in someones success. You cant really do this job unless you’re a people person, so you enjoy the different between people you represent. I admire all the people i represent and it’s great if you get on well, but sometimes you don’t want to get to close.

Read here: http://careers.guardian.co.uk/forum...762b-4a0f-9723-5e537688d612&plckCurrentPage=0

wannabemodelbook and cologne_rocks Thanks so much :smile:

agee I meant by "unusual" , countries wich don't get much attention from model scouts or modeling agencies ...

Hello everybody ! Does anyone knows if some agencies are looking for models scouts in unusual places in the world ? :D thanks in advance

try to contact JOY STARSYSTEM. I heard they have now offices in places like Brazil, Latvia, Ukraine, Estonia, Russia, Poland etc..

I would suggest for anyone interested that fashion week is always a relevant time to contact agencies for unpaid work. Especially if you're looking to gain direct knowledge and experience during one of their busier periods. The one thing i would emphasize on is that agencies will demand and pay attention to flexibility. From personal experience, you have to ensure your prepared and available when and where they need you which could be at morning from 9am for meetings or as early on the job as 6am til 11pm for model castings, fittings and show/after show assistance etc. I have been offered fashion week jobs with agencies that entail one on one work with models, some of which are incredibly young and unfamiliar with their way around the city and unfluent with the language. It's a good opportunity to start off with and a great insight to how rapid the industry can coordinate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this question isn't too forward, but I was wondering what the salary of a model agent/booker is like?

Has anyone been successful getting unpaid work experience at an agency in Australia? I've contacted the majority - major players and boutiques - in Melbourne and Sydney, and not one so far has said they'll take university students.

What about New Zealand?

Not sure if this is right place to ask this but...What do you need to open your own modelling agency?

Sorry if this question was already ask, if yes, then I will search for it.

Contacts and potential clients ... would be first. If you don't have a way to get your models into casting calls to be seen then there is not point in repping any models.

And money (perhaps a backer?) .... because you need to pay a staff, equipment, office space, etc.

Insurance. Also, the appropriate licenses ... so you need to look into that ... you may have to post a bond. For example of weird bureaucracy in action .. in NY State, they are very, very restrictive. An "agency" cannot charge the usual fees because they are considered an employment agency ... so to get around that, the agencies must become "management" companies so they can charge models the usual 20% of any jobs you book for them.

The last thing is the models ....

I don't know where you're based but depending on the area there may be no decent photographers around - Therefore, contacts to other agencies who could represent your model(s) in rather well elaborated areas (The 4 main markets, Athens, Singapore, Japan, Hamburg... maybe Istanbul) are very important as well cause your booking power will be close to zero when you come out of the blue with your agency, and these agencies are the ones who can wangle superb testing imagery, book jobs etc. Also, they can be helpful when it comes to paperwork (residence premits, visa etc)
As for renting office space. I know some top agents who operate their business without staff etc from their living rooms (Mother Model, Specimen Management etc) - It's definitely a more favourable alternative and you can minimize the financial risk.
Other than that: Licenses, models themselves for sure and a good camera :wink:

what should i write in my internship resume and cover letter? i am a senior in high school (going to uni next year) in Hong Kong and I want to intern at a agency in NY.

Thanks!

Well your resume should have all your diplomas mentionned.. your work experience if you have some.
Your cover letter basically is what will make you stand out from the others, so show your motivation and your interest in their agency etc...

Good luck to you!

I'm thinking about doing an internship here in Paris myself, let's see if any agency replies.

I would like to work (unpaid work) in an agency during Paris Fashion Week or like dressing the models backstages at the shows. Has anyone already done this? Could you give me some advices? (who I should contact etc..)
Thank you very much in advance :smile:

Yo u would not work for the agencies at Fashion Week. You would work for either the designers or the people who are putting on the show. For information about volunteering (they don't pay, it's a voluntary gig), here's the thread ... there's a lot of good information there about how to get in: Volunteering for Fashion Week Shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->