Your investment pieces

style.com

Here's an example of what I mean ... I feel sure I could get 10-15 years out of this jacket:

00040m.jpg

I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. The best pair of black pants I ever had (and I just saw them :heart:, packing up my discard pile to give away) were wool gabardine and lasted me more than 10 years. Anything that hits the 10-year mark has done what I wanted it to do.

^^oh yes, i agree. i think that blazer would work like a tank (bad analogy, but you know what i mean). one of my blazers is cotton - a very stiff cotton and fully lined, but still, and the other is a fine wool and only partially lined. not tank strength. design-wise, oh yes, 10 years, easy. i definitely knew i was "investing" when i bought them - that is, i was anticipating many many years of loving them.

so a person could say things of great quality and simplified design? there is still room for individuality, like with color, etc. but the reality is that things that are exceptionally independent-minded will not be "viewed" by others as investment pieces.

I like this! :flower:

I would die for a chanel 2.55
its truly timeless

...as well as a YSL Besace in grey :wub:

when i finally buy it in 4-5 years i'll post in the what did you buy today thread:lol:

Thats such a beautiful watch :heart:

Personally, I think Loubouiton black patent heeled pumps would be a good investment - particularly if you have a good cobbler to re-sole them. A Chanel jacket would also be a good investment piece as you'd get alot of wear out of it and I'd imagine (and hope for the price!) it would be very good quality.

Of course, a LBD is also one of the ultimate investment pieces, as if it is a good quality and is treated well it can be worn many times a year over 10 years plus - my ultimate would be the Audery's Breakfast at Tiffany's Givenchy, but that went at auction for £467,200, so a tad out of my league (now there was an investment). The Burberry trench would also be a good investment for me, because I absolutely adore trench coats and would wear it to death so the CPW (Cost Per Wear) would be tiny.

my personal investment pieces to date are leather jackets and boots.
in future i would want to invest in a savile row or the likes, bespoke tailored suits.

basically anything Martin Margiela i think would be worth while to invest. many of the items i have from the brand ten years ago i can still wear now and not look outdated, in fact, i like to pair the old ones with the current ones and they will look very good somehow, rather than looking head to toe exactly from the same lookbook.

things i would not invest are too seasonal pieces, like i find the recent balenciaga pieces too seasonal looking eg. s/s 2008, those floral structured dresses worn by jennifer connelly. maybe in 50 years time they will look good and vintage, but say 5 years later? it is immediately recognised as dated, so clothes like these are a no no for me.

The pasha is gorgeous! My brothers name is pasha... After I get done buying things for my apt I'd love to get another watch :heart:

my personal investment pieces to date are leather jackets and boots.
in future i would want to invest in a savile row or the likes, bespoke tailored suits.

basically anything Martin Margiela i think would be worth while to invest. many of the items i have from the brand ten years ago i can still wear now and not look outdated, in fact, i like to pair the old ones with the current ones and they will look very good somehow, rather than looking head to toe exactly from the same lookbook.

things i would not invest are too seasonal pieces, like i find the recent balenciaga pieces too seasonal looking eg. s/s 2008, those floral structured dresses worn by jennifer connelly. maybe in 50 years time they will look good and vintage, but say 5 years later? it is immediately recognised as dated, so clothes like these are a no no for me.

Isn't it interesting how avant garde is timeless?

To the original poster, the word "investment" in a fashion sense, at least as I've understood it, refers to a piece that one would get many years' use of, and would never look out of place in general society, rather than a piece that would appreciate because the vast majority of clothing does not appreciate due to it being so intimate.
With that said, I think general investment clothing pieces are:
Coat (trench and winter, if you live in a cold climate)
Shoes of good quality
A suit
A tuxedo (for men)
A black dress (for women)
The handbag gets a special mention as an accessory

How much one should spend depends on one's finances. Define your pricepoint, then buy the piece of highest quality within that pricepoint. Let's face it; Hermes and John Lobb are of arguably the highest quality in leather goods, but not everyone can afford it. For that reason no one can say how much someone else should spend on an "investment piece."

Oh dear. I just realized that this thread is three and a half years old and was only bumped up by Fashionista-ta. Sorry if I resurrected a thread whose discussion was dead.

posting without reading thread again - but the title caught me.

Being a jewelry designer.... I say GOLDGOLDGOLD - buy it, wear it, resell it. =)

my investment pieces has always been watches (expensive watches) my latest purchase was in february 2008 after watching the police concert in Singapore ....

A Chopard Happy Sport Watch in Rose Gold with 7 floating diamonds & mother of pearl dial :heart::heart:

Attachments

• IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member