Your investment pieces

Only loses value after you wear it :lol:

Truer words were never spoken :lol: As we speak I am wearing a brand-new white T-shirt ... decorated with lettuce wrap sauce from lunch :ninja: Take off your glasses before stopping by my desk, please ...

It is pretty safe ... but the second piece of the thread is: "that never lose value." Never is a long time of course :P and certainly my Burberry trench has lost value ... but the retail price has also about doubled since I bought it. Plus the quality of mine is probably better than what you'd buy for twice the money today ...

I agree, though, that much of what's mentioned in this thread is unspeakably boring :innocent:

PS I'd say Nancy Pelosi's South Sea pearls fall in this category ...

i dont think they loose value, i think their value rise. a burberry sales asisstant were interested in my trench, because it was from the 70's or 80's

Which items in the latest colections do you think are investments that are going to last forever and not just a season? eg Chanel Pumps vs Stud Sandals from Burberry

I know we have another thread about pieces that hold their value, but I can't seem to find it :huh: If you have a pointer for me, please say so ...

I have two chanel jumbo 2.55 bags and with all the price increases (It must be at least three by now) I have no doubt I can sell for more than I purchased them. I just have to keep them in good condition!

^^^ price increases are definitely key to getting some money back from selling pre-owned stuff.

when i decide something is an investment for me, it's not about the item retaining (or increasing) it's actual monetary value. it's only ever about the item lasting me a long long time, and therefore being worth the money because it will physically hold up and because i will continuously emotionally care for and enjoy and appreciate it. i only have 2 things i can count on for this, my watch and my bag.
oh, and i got a suitcase last year that i think should last for a while.
i do have items of clothing that i love and will enjoy for as long as i have them, but a dress or beautiful blazer can only last for so long...

^ I bet those Balenciaga blazers GG & a few others have invested in are holding up well ...

Btw, I think my Burberry trench is finally starting to show its age after 20+ years ... I noticed after its last trip to the cleaners the leather was starting to peel away from the belt buckle. So much for that investment :lol:

No, I really could not be more pleased with 20+ years from a coat.

My Chanel 2.55, definitely.
Maybe a Hermes birkin bag sometime in the future.

The money spent should be somewhat of a sacrifice... it is an investment, after all.

My Chanel 2.55, definitely.
Maybe a Hermes birkin bag sometime in the future.

The money spent should be somewhat of a sacrifice... it is an investment, after all.

i would say nearly anything from hermes (nearly) would qualify, simply because they have the repair service available for their products.

Clothes are not an investment unless you buy one-off couture items and never wear them.

I assume that when the term 'investment' is thrown in a fashion sense, people mean clothing that they will have for more than one season.

If people avoided the more extreme trends and cheap clothes in general, paying more attention to their colouring and body-type, then conservative, old-lady-in-the-1940s-style wouldn't be so widely revered.

I assume that when the term 'investment' is thrown in a fashion sense, people mean clothing that they will have for more than one season.

that is how i characterized what "investment" meant to me.

^ Right. So then, shouldn't someone who is looking for investment pieces (defined as clothing that has longevity beyond one season) be thinking about why the clothes have only lasted that long - because they fell apart or they are unfashionable now - rather than prescribing that everyone dress the same which is what these 'investment/10 classic pieces' theories promote?

Sorry, I think uni and writing essays is getting to me!

But I hate reading endlessly about how diamond solitaires, a white shirt, a Kelly/Birkin, black pants and trenchcoat are all one needs in one's wardrobe. Personally I'd feel like a waiter who'd just pinched someone's bag and jewelry and run.

ferragamo bow pumps? those will last me until my granny years style-wise, not sure about actual wear & tear..

^ Right. So then, shouldn't someone who is looking for investment pieces (defined as clothing that has longevity beyond one season) be thinking about why the clothes have only lasted that long - because they fell apart or they are unfashionable now - rather than prescribing that everyone dress the same which is what these 'investment/10 classic pieces' theories promote?

But I hate reading endlessly about how diamond solitaires, a white shirt, a Kelly/Birkin, black pants and trenchcoat are all one needs in one's wardrobe. Personally I'd feel like a waiter who'd just pinched someone's bag and jewelry and run.

i think you make a wonderful point. "investment" can definitely mean different things to different people. the original poster of this thread asked: What items (clothing, accessories, shoes, etc) are considered investment pieces? looking at that sentence, i would infer from the passive voice that she is asking for the answers she was getting. she didn't ask what each person considers to be an investment item, or how one decides what is an investment item. she wanted to know what items would be viewed, by others, as timeless, trendless, valuable. that's what i would conclude anyway, from reading the post. i never shop along the lines set forth in the responses, and yet i do always shop with the expectation that all of my choices are timeless (in that i won't get bored with them), trendless (in that they can't be precisely dated), and valuable (in that they physically endure, in most cases, and for some items, it's that they truly have value independent of my appreciation for them, 'cause they're $$ - but those items are rare).

now i think it's fair to say that there is an over-lapping though. a trench coat can be (depending on the details of the cut) timeless, trendless and good quality so that it lasts. i think it is easier to name things from the expensive sector as examples of timeless, trendless and good quality items, but of course it is about the design and quality and not actually the price or label that defines those qualities.
so a person could say things of great quality and simplified design? there is still room for individuality, like with color, etc. but the reality is that things that are exceptionally independent-minded will not be "viewed" by others as investment pieces. that does not mean however that a unique person cannot redefine classic for themselves, it just means that they won't fit a larger definition. lynn yaeger is a walking example. she always looks like her, always fits her style, which is so well-defined, and therefore, she always looks classically lynn.

Off the top of my head, my investment peices are my Chanel GST, Chanel medium vintage flap, and all of my Louboutins. There are more, but those are the ones that are standing out to me right now.

I think there's a common misunderstanding that you have to dress in a classic way to have an investment kind of wardrobe. I think this approach can work for any style ... the building blocks are just (somewhat) different.

In fact, I think it works quite well for an avant garde style ... those pieces (to me anyway) don't date.

I think there's a common misunderstanding that you have to dress in a classic way to have an investment kind of wardrobe. I think this approach can work for any style ... the building blocks are just (somewhat) different.

In fact, I think it works quite well for an avant garde style ... those pieces (to me anyway) don't date.

^^^okay, fashionista-ta said it better than i did. that's what i meant. :flower:

oh, ps, fashionista-ta, re. your comment earlier about blazers, i love mine and they'll definitely have enduring appeal for me, every year, for ever, but i am just assuming that since they're not made out of teflon (or even thick thick wool) they won't last as long as i'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->