Yves Saint Laurent Resort 2011

Flashbang

Mr. Magic
Reaction score
Everyone knows there’s cult of Saint Laurent — a fashion fact that’s a blessing and a curse for the person now charged with the house’s creative direction. “Everybody has a reference in mind because Yves Saint Laurent is so iconic. So how are you going to do it?” Stefano Pilati queried on Tuesday. The designer is in New York for the showing of his Yves Saint Laurent resort collection on Thursday at the French Consulate, and gave WWD an exclusive preview. “For me, it’s about understanding now that [the iconic looks] are basically cult. So the answer is to take certain elements from the archives and change them.”

Exhibit A: The prints. Inspired by archival fare, Pilati combined multiple patterns into single motifs, which he used to create silhouettes of Seventies-era YSL magazine editorials, just as he did for fall with his figural pendants. The results are both fanciful and chic: a leggy girl whose outline extends the full length of a black chemise dress; a waist-up image of a girl in a huge, floppy hat decorating a skirt. “The reference is there but not there,” Pilati said.

While these figural images lend pop, the collection offers plenty more with legs of a different sort. Explaining, “we have to sell,” Pilati indicated the extensive lineup of pieces that work the bold side of classic, cut as they are with ample structure and shot with bright colors and bold details such as wide belts and contrast piping.

As for his show, Pilati said the venue makes perfect sense. “Resort started for the American market,” he said. “And so, this is a sort of a mini-show in New York in a space that could breathe a bit of French history by itself. You know, a collaboration.”
ysl01.jpg
ysl02.jpg

ysl03.jpg
ysl04.jpg

ysl05.jpg

wwd.com

i like it there is one or two pieces i don't like but i love most of it. very late 50's ish early 60's ish. the more i look at it the more i love it inus the shorts

:heart:

This actually kinda does look like YSL...for once. I like the colours.

It's cute. Particularly loving the colors and the last three looks.

I can't wait for the show. This collection reminds me of Tom Ford's colourful ones.

It's nice. I'm glad he used bright colors instead of the usual black.

finally,,, i feel that i catch Yves's vitality in Pilati collection ,,, it has the 'Rive Gauche' energy that i have witnessed & adored in the early 90's.
bravo Stefano :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
while i need to see more, the pieces represented here will only add to the rumors about pilati's departure....:innocent:

Great color story, a lot of pieces I like in this cruise collection! Can't wait to see more!

I can't imagine Pilati go out YSL, i love that man. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not leaving. I'm pretty sure they were just rumours.

Oh I just love it! YSL as it once was and as it should be, wonderful! Cannot wait to see more...

I'm not getting the wow-factor I got with prefall, but these are some seriously nice pieces. And more than that, they are cohesive with the runway collections. I love that the pinks look not the least bit girlish but instead womanly and grown up, too.

^ I so agree with you on the pinks look. I am not a big pink fan, but this is kind of pink I would gladly wear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hasunny428
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->