Zara: Taking the Lead in Fast-Fashion

Hanne

Storm & Sommer
Reaction score
From businessweek.com APRIL 4, 2006 By Rachel Tiplady

Zara: Taking the Lead in Fast-Fashion
When it comes to quick response to clothing trends, this Spanish retailer is beating the pants off H&M and everyone else

With its bright-red H&M logo on 1,200 stores, Swedish retailer Hennes & Mauritz has long been the world's leading purveyor of cheap-chic apparel. No more. On Mar. 29, Spanish retail group Inditex -- best known for its Zara stores in Europe -- reported 21% sales growth in 2005, to $8.15 billion. That puts Inditex ahead of H&M, which posted $7.87 billion in sales last year.

Zara's secret? It moves fast. With an in-house design team based in in La Coruña, Spain, and a tightly controlled factory and distribution network, the company says it can take a design from drawing board to store shelf in just two weeks. That lets Zara introduce new items every week, which keeps customers coming back again and again to check out the latest styles.

Zara's success is all the more surprising because at least half its factories are in Europe, where wages are many times higher than in Asia and Africa. But to maintain its quick inventory turnover, the company must reduce shipping time to a minimum. The fast-fashion approach also helps Zara reduce its exposure to fashion faux pas. The company produces batches of clothing in such small quantities that even if it brings out a design that no one will buy -- which happened during an unseasonably warm autumn in 2003 -- it can cut its losses quickly and move on to another trend.

BASIC BLACK. Zara's fast pace means that some popular items appear and disappear within a week, creating an image of scarcity that many shoppers find irresistible "They've built up an excitement around snapping up new clothes before they go," says Kris Miller, a New York-based retail analyst with Bain & Co. "As well as keeping sales high throughout the year, it also keeps margin-stripping markdowns to a minimum," Miller says. That helps explain why Inditex profits soared 26% last year, to $973 million.

H&M uses a slightly different strategy. Around one quarter of its stock is made up of fast-fashion items that are designed in-house and farmed out to independent factories. As at Zara, these items move quickly through the stores and are replaced often by fresh designs. But H&M also keeps a large inventory of basic, everyday items sourced from cheap Asian factories.

To add pizzazz to its lineup, the Swedish retailer has also struck deals with high-fashion designers Stella McCartney and Karl Lagerfeld to create limited, one-time collections, which generally sell out within days. H&M is a strong financial performer too. Sales during the first three months of this year were up 20%, after rising 14% in 2005.

RAPID EXPANSION. No wonder fast-fashion companies such as H&M, Zara, Spain's Mango, and Britain's Top Shop, are among the brightest stars in Europe's retail landscape. A 2004 Bain & Co. study found that fast-fashion outlets in Spain and Britain posted average double-digit sales growth, compared with 4% growth in overall retail sales in those countries.

These companies are expanding rapidly. Zara's parent, Inditex, whose other retail chains include Massimo Dutti and Bershka, opened 448 new stores last year, while H&M inaugurated 145. This year Inditex expects to add as many as 490 stores, which includes its first Chinese outlet, opened recently in Shanghai. By 2010, its global total could grow from 2,700 to 5,000.

So far, Inditex and its European counterparts have expanded cautiously in the U.S. Zara has only 19 stores stateside. H&M has 91, but that's tiny compared to the company's 1,200 worldwide total. NPD Group, a New York-based market research outfit, says that fast-fashion accounts for only 1% of the $181 billion U.S. apparel market. That compares with 18% in Spain, 12% in Britain, and 8% in France, according to Bain & Co. estimates.

HOMEGROWN COMPETITION. The U.S. represents a tempting opportunity for Inditex. But some analysts think the Spanish company should slow down a little. "Inditex's cost growth is exceeding its sales growth at the moment," warns Lehman Brothers (LEH) retail analyst Allegra Piaggi. "I'd like to see more penetration of existing markets before it moves into others." Others worry that Zara will be unable to stick to its fast pace, with so many more stores to supply.

But Zara and its European counterparts know that if they don't lead the parade toward fast-fashion in the U.S., homegrown retailers certainly will. Chico's FAS (CHS), a Florida-based women's apparel chain, is already introducing new styles at more frequent intervals, luring shoppers with the slogan, "You'll find something new every day at Chico's."

That's tough competition, all right. But Chico's still can't match Zara's efficiency: The U.S. company takes about six months to get an item from the drawing board onto store shelves, compared to as little as two weeks at Zara. Better keep an eye on this nimble Spanish retailer.

great article, thanks Hanne

in my book, Zara has been a leader for a very long time
the should also name their Pull&Bear shops in the article ,
they belong to the Inditex group and are getting real huge with teens

ooh ooh i didnt know that bershka is from the same retail chain. it is nice too but i like ZARA more ^_^ Thanks, really interesting article!

And massimo dutti, Zara Home and Oysho is also part of Inditex group.

But at Hong Kong......the menswear in Zara is really bad...

Most of them are suit....I hate them~~~~
but the womenswear are wonderful!!!!!!

Zara definetily is the best. They sell trendy clothes alongside the classic, and there is a big difference between them and, say, H&M or Topshop. Zara seems a bit more classier, and it isn't a clothes supermarket. The only bad thing in Zara is the quality, which is much worser than H&M etc. I think they should concentrate on that. Of course, cheap fashion is not meant to last very long, but Zara's clothes seem to last for only a couple of days.

Zara isn't so "loud" and "youthful" as the other shops with the same ethics and price range.

^Well Zara's quality isn't as bad as Mango and sometimes H&M has it's bad quality days off as well........

In the case of the British High Street, Zara doesn't really do it for me....especially when you do have home-grown choices from Warehouse, Oasis, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, French Connection.... I don't even think Zara is all that cheap!

WhiteLinen said:
Zara definetily is the best. They sell trendy clothes alongside the classic, and there is a big difference between them and, say, H&M or Topshop. Zara seems a bit more classier, and it isn't a clothes supermarket. The only bad thing in Zara is the quality, which is much worser than H&M etc. I think they should concentrate on that. Of course, cheap fashion is not meant to last very long, but Zara's clothes seem to last for only a couple of days.

Zara isn't so "loud" and "youthful" as the other shops with the same ethics and price range.

I'm not impressed with Zara quality, they are somethimes worse that H&M< and they are more expencive. I do love most of the clothes (but hardly ever wear them, because of the size and price)
I think an important thing about there strategy is that they look like an luxury store, they are not staped like other highstreet stores, and people like to buy clothes there, it gives you a feeling you bought an luxury item (and I think that is why the prices are pretty high)
Zara designs have a good shape and a classic feel, but it is nothing special, really, 70% of the pieces are designer knock offs.

I love there shoes, though, if they would come in my size I would only wear Zara shoes.

Zara is way too expensive for the quality they offer and at least here in Germany the stores are horrible. They have these big tables where they pile the cloths on and it's always a complete chaos with most of the stuff ending on the (not so tidy) floor. I also think that their sizing is off, I hardly find anything where one size isn't too small and the next way too big. The only thing I really like are the shoes but they don't have my size either.

what's Pull&Bear like? is it similar to bershka?

susie_bubble said:
^Well Zara's quality isn't as bad as Mango and sometimes H&M has it's bad quality days off as well........

In the case of the British High Street, Zara doesn't really do it for me....especially when you do have home-grown choices from Warehouse, Oasis, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, French Connection.... I don't even think Zara is all that cheap!

For some reason, I never find anything interesting from the shops you mentioned, I think they are in another league. The clothes in those shops are too teenager-concentrated in my opinion. Not that Zara isn't, but there are other options available too.

H&M has bad quality, but Zara's bad quality goes to outrageous measurements. Many times I find plenty of things I could purchase from Zara, but I have had so many very,very bad experiences with their quality that I don't want to risk it.

It is true that they are too expensive, especially the more classic clothes and accessories. With the crap (I wouldn't want to use such a strong word, but with this subject I think it is perfectly appropriate) quality and high price, there is something wrong.

Hmm...I think of the shopping experience as a quite important thing. I do not want to shop in crowded, badly organized stores, and Zara does know how to look luxurious. At Zara there is more space and peace.

I hope they will concentrate more on the quality in the future. If they could match even H&M's level of quality, I'd be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zara is expensive outside of Spain, obviously, but in Spain it is so cheap compared to H&M and Mango.

I love Zara. I mean the quality there is perfectly fine with their prices. Well at least I've never had real problems with the stuff there. I like that they pretty much offer everything and like it's said in the article you can find the latest trends there. Though I have to admit that it's much cheaper in Spain than in other countries. I used to live in London and it was a lot more expensive there but I think it's also because of the different currency. To me it just doesn't seem to be that expensive in other european countries.
I like all shops Inditex group: Pull&Bear, Bershka, Oysho and Stradivarius. I always find something there though the quality isn't the best so Zara remains my favourite. I also love H&M of course, Mango too and from the Birtish High Street I love TopShop and French Connection. :smile: :crush: :wub: :heart:

from my experience i'll have to agree with your quality report, white linen. all these high street chain stores seem to function differently in every country, though. personally i avoid them all as good as i can.

Great article, for some reason it makes me feel better that i'm buying their clothes knowing their factories are Europe based and I don't get the idea that 6yr old kids in sweatshops made my clothing.

I agree with torrus; Massimo Dutti and Oysho are both great.

I'm not sure about Zara.. I would rather invest in the real thing, than buy many pieces which fall apart soon.

yes, the buttons are very dangerous... at least they give you one more..
but I hate sewing!

I find most brands don't know a thing about securing a button. I often remove them and re-sew them before giving them a chance to fall off. Anyways I don't care for Zara mainly because I find their fitting poor. Zara is however very cleverly run. Since it has a high degree of vertical integration is has a lot of control over all aspects of their business so they can respond quicker to trends. If their fitting wasn't so aweful (in my opinion) I'd spend more time and money there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evf1029
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->