Collection of Style by H&M

Well I don't think opening a store in London is very indicative of how it will do (not that I'm complaining of course...being in London and all...) but it is sure to do well because people in London are VERY much into disposable fashion....
I think opening a store in Paris might give a better indication of the demand.

from vogue.co.uk
spacer.gif
THE sell-out successes of Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfeldand Victor & Rolf's lines for H&M have given the lower-priced high street store a dose of confidence - enough, it seems, to set its sights higher up the fashion chain. Collection Of Style or 'COS', as it will be known on the high street, is a premium quality, higher-priced chain being launched by H&M. Set to launch its flagship store on London's Regent Street on March 16, the Swedish retailer is billing the new line as a "modern, stylish mix of essentials, classic pieces and the latest trends". "We've been trying to upgrade for a while and our design collaborations show that we can operate at that level and higher," investor relations manager Nils Vinge told Drapers. " If you try to stretch prices too far for H&M, it will confuse customers. There are a lot of customers that don't shop at H&M for whatever reason, and we want them. They are likely to be shopping across the designer and high street sectors. COS will benefit from logistics and economies of scale so we can keep our costs low."

excerpt and pic from wwd

H&M's New Collection a Step Upmarket

COS will make its debut on March 16 when the first global flagship opens at 222 Regent Street here, in a building formerly occupied by the department store Liberty.

Six more stores — in The Hague; in Brussels, and in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and Stuttgart in Germany — will open on March 30. Each store will span about 4,860 square feet.

Although the company declined to reveal further rollout plans, a spokeswoman said: "We believe in COS, and we think it will work well in all the markets where H&M operates. But for now, we're focusing on the U.K. and Europe."

COS prices will be double those at H&M, and will range from 19 euros, or $25 at current exchange, for a jersey top to 39 euros, or $50, for a jersey dress to 229 euros, or $298, for a leather jacket with cropped sleeves.

"We all felt there was a gap in the market between high street and high fashion, and we see COS as a great challenge," said Rebekka Bay, design director for women's wear, in an exclusive interview with fellow Dane, Michael Kristensen, design director for men's wear.

"There seems to be a changing mood in fashion. I think we all feel annoyed paying so much for designer names. On the other hand, the high street is delivering great fast fashion at low prices, but I cry when something I buy wears out. We're trying to create that sweet spot in between," she added.

COS stands for "Collection of Style," which was originally the working title for the new line. Kristensen said the team finally decided to keep it because it was short, easy to pronounce in a variety of languages and approachable.

Bay, who, before joining COS, worked in trend forecasting and lifestyle brand consulting, and Kristensen, who has worked for German brands including Hugo Boss, Marc O'Polo and Tom Tailor, said the COS collection is driven by quality and style.

While the stores will have new product delivered daily, Bay said, the merchandise will not be based on a quick reaction to street or runway trends. Rather, it will be a collection of classics.

She also said COS is broad and deep and is not meant to be purchased in tandem with the H&M collections. "It is an entirely new world, although the business strategy is exactly the same: fashion and quality at the best price," Bay said.

There are four segments in each collection, which have their own area within the stores. The largest is Casual City, which makes up about half of the collection; Classic, which is based around the suit; Leisure, casual clothes for weekends, and Party, for evening.

Bay and Kristensen said they are trying to work exclusively with natural fabrics, such as cotton, cotton-silk blends, cashmere and washed leather. "The collections are architectural, functional, and quality-driven. When you're doing simple garments like this, it all comes down to the fabrics, silhouettes and subtle details," Kristensen said.

Bay said she's very inspired by couture techniques, and clothing that's built to retain its structure and shape over time. "I like neat sleeves, shoulders and necklines," she said.

The spring collection features wardrobe staples such as crisp white shirts, leather jackets, a wool chintz black dress with a zipper running the full length of the back, and a tunic A-line dress. Bay said there are also "a million" little black dresses, ranging from demure to sexy. For evening, she's done a pleated linen skirt with silk cotton lining, as well. She put a stiffer fabric between the two layers, an old couture technique to help the skirt keep its full shape.

Bay also played around with the idea of the suit. "They are modern suits — not matchy-matchy. Maybe a jersey top and trousers," she said.

The line comes with a full range of accessories, including scarves, bags, shoes, belts, sunglasses, ties and jewelry. All of those lines are produced in-house. In addition, the designers are looking to partner with a footwear brand to make a COS sneaker.

The COS retail experience is a top priority for Bay and Kristen­sen, who have chosen a series of products they feel fit with their chic, streamlined ethos. To wit, each COS store will carry the new series of Wallpaper City Guides; Xcocoa, the branded chocolates from Barcelona; the Haakansons skin care line, and Penguin's 70th anniversary line of paperbacks at 1.50 pounds, or $3.

Asked if COS would adopt a similar celebrity designer strategy to H&M — which has called in Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Madonna and Viktor & Rolf to design past collections — Bay said probably not.

"Never say never, but it's not really what COS is about," she said. "It's a very democratic brand, and it doesn't really need to show off. It's just about beautiful clothing."

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 453
probably a good idea not to come to NY yet...
with all the recent openings here...the ny market is pretty oversaturated...

this sounds interesting...i hope it isn't too 'boring'...

looking forward to seeing the clothes...

thanks lucy- as usual...
:flower:

Better quality in the market can only be a positive thing! :D
I'm excited about it!

when i first heard about the store concept, i was expecting the store to be more "designery" not basics.

the more i thought about it the more i think this makes a lot of sense though for the german market. the H&M market in germany is pretty much saturated already. there are tons of H&M stores in germany. a lot of my german friends parents dont like their kids buying H&M because they think the quality is crapola.

this new concept store could be aimed at more older german people. people aged 30+.

also, i think the work clothes at regular H&M need sprucing up anyway...

A screenshot from the yet-to-be-launched COS site and a note from H&M magazine:

sources: hm.com & cos.com

sounds pretty good actually. i like the fact that the focus is on natural fibres and classic styles.

sounds a lot like club monaco, who have recently adopted a "back to basics" look (and a higher price point at that). if this is a backlash against cheap chic, and it will spark a bigger trend in retail then that's a good thing, imo.

yayy H&M is now coming to hong kong!
don't have to shop in zara no more.

an image from fashionista.com

Attachments

• cos.jpg
    cos.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 12
Website is up people! Go check it out at http://www.cosstores.com/

Looks a bit like the more adult lines from H&M, but a bit more stylish. Can't wait 'till they open to see if the clothing IS of higher quality than the regular H&M.

the collection looks ok... some stuff has reasonable price (manbag 50€) some stuff does not (man jumper 100€ --> i payed less than that a while back for an identical tshirt)
i think women bags are also very overprized --> bags around 250€!! hello?

Collection of Style (COS), the new chain by H&M

Who else could take the democratization of exclusive fashion further than the chain who created a stir with it? COS (Collection of Style) is a new fashion concept by H&M which combines the meticulous focus and attention to detail of ready-to-wear design with down to earth pricing; making aspiring fashion attainable to the mainstream.

Check out the Runway Show here and the backstage/audience video here.

Looks very Jil Sander in my opinion...

here's a press release. Man, these are high price points!!

COS: COLLECTION OF STYLE

The new fashion brand that puts the haute in high street

COS is the new fashion concept that's set to land in London's shopping
heartland, with a sleek William Russell designed Regent Street flagship, due to
open its pristine doors on 16 March. COS is the progeny of H&M that merges high
fashion attributes (meticulous fabrics finish and fit) with ground level
pricing; creating inspirational design that's financially accessible.

COS splices its design flair with attainable prices for both men and women.
These are immaculately produced wardrobe perennials: incorporating clean-cut accessible design with just a wink of character; a subtle design twist that lends each garment a modernist edge. Be that a chic black sack dress with a bold contrast metal zipper running down the back. Or for men: a butter soft fudge leather bomber jacket with Western stitch detail.

Previously, it was nigh on impossible to track down an understatedly cool
cocktail dress without paying top fashion-house dollar. And men were in the same Riva-priced boat when it came to glove-like modern-edge tailoring. COS offers just such dapper attire, minus the telephone figures price tag.

"It is fashionable essentials, reinvented classics and the latest trends," says
Rebekka Bay COS's womenswear designer.

"The focus is quality in terms of the fabrics, fit and finish. It's
ready-to-wear level design at high street prices. Plus, there are lots of
fundamental pieces, like the perfect fitting piqué polo shirt; crisp shirting;
classic T-shirts and cashmere V-necks," adds Michael Kristensen, COS's menswear designer.

Equally essential kit for women involves: easy-to-wear cotton poplin vest
dresses; slouchy chinos; perfect-fit skinny black trousers and 50s-style
edge-to-edge coats.

Fashion alert males will zero in on slim-fit cardigans; Forrest Gump-style
short-sleeve shirts and keenly cut city shorts. And fashion maidens will swoop on swingy pleat smock dresses; dinner shirts re-worked as crisp blousons and sun-faded 50s ceramics print shift dresses.

COS's sophisticatedly subtle colour palette of crisp white, soft putty grey,
rich tobacco brown, sharp black, graceful navy and warm khaki, is intermittently pierced with colour bursts of bright red and bold electric blue.

Ultimate race-you-to-the-rack appeal emanates from COS accessories. Be that a minimalist-lush nylon city bag, natty brogues, or an exquisitely crafted large black leather baguette finished in luxe bridle-like detailing.

From elegant tuxedo suits and knife-sharp city tailoring to soft cashmere knits; COS is fashion nirvana for the non-showy, design alert shopper.

COS's London launch will be followed by a roll-out tour of COS store openings in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands at the end of March. Ten stores are planned to open by the close of 2007.

Price examples women:
Dresses: From €49.00 to €79.00
Shirts: From €29.00 to €39.00
Blazers: From €79.00 to €125.00
Trousers: From €49.00 to €79.00
Skirts: From €49.00 to €69.00
Jeans: €69.00
Party dresses: From €79.00 to €125.00
Outerwear: From €79.00 to €225.00
Leather bags: From € 125.00 to €250.00

Price examples men:
Suits: From €250.00 to €350.00
Shirts: From €39.00 to €49.00
Trousers: From €59.00 to €69.00
Cashmere jumpers: €99.00
Jeans: €69.00
Party waist coat: €69.00
Outerwear: From €175.00 to €190.00
Shoes: €99.00

pics from the fashion show
cosstores.com

Attachments

• cos5.jpg
    cos5.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 291
  • cos4.jpg
    cos4.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 292
  • cos3.jpg
    cos3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 293
  • cos2.jpg
    cos2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 8
  • cos1.jpg
    cos1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 292
  • cos6.jpg
    cos6.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 290
  • cos7.jpg
    cos7.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 292
  • cos8.jpg
    cos8.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 291
  • cos9.jpg
    cos9.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 289
this is what the london store looks like. very bare bones and minimal in here!
cosstores.com

Attachments

• cos14.jpg
    cos14.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 542
  • cos13.jpg
    cos13.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 270
  • cos12.jpg
    cos12.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 288
  • cos11.jpg