1927 - Hubert de Givenchy (retired) work : 1952-1995

HAPPY 80th Hubert !

I assumed he was dead- but saw his name in the paper this morning...

i knew he was still alive but didn't know it was his birthday today!!

wow!! happy 80th hubert... hope all is going well :heart:

thanks for posting, travis.

the man himself

Givenchy,%20Hubert%20de.jpg

museudelperfum.com

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at people like him, Audrey Hepburn, Oleg Cassini, Grace kelly and Jackie Kennedy makes me just so sad, because I realize that "perfection" and elegance is gone now style seems to be whatever is on MTV. Dont get me wrong people should wear what they want to wear. Its just that personally I would want people to dress more like they did at that time.

Evening dress by Hubert de Givenchy. Organza with sequins, Paris about 1955.
vam.ac.uk; telegraph.co.uk

Attachments

• mainBgBallgowns.jpg
    mainBgBallgowns.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 18
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 70
An early Hubert de Givenchy orientalist dinner gown, circa 1952, labelled and numbered 3328, comprising button fronted bodice, cut wide at the shoulders, the over-skirt with nipped in waist of beetle-wing black and green changeable silk, embroidered with panels of oriental inspired flowerheads, strapwork and seated musicians, mother of pearl discs and shell pieces in various sizes catch the light, heavy gilt metal strip raised strapwork, together with a black silk petticoat with integral stiffening and pleats to help support the weight of the outer skirt.

63_1.jpg
63_4.jpg

63_2.jpg

kerrytaylorauctions.com

I've seen the Givenchy gowns at the V&A and they are absolutely stunning. No one looked more beautiful in his creations than dear Audrey. Oh how I miss elegant people like her and JAckie.
On another Givenchy note... I won a vintage Givenchy scarf which I'm awaiting for. My only wish is that Audrey had one exactly the same....

440424.jpg
Givenchy Raspberry Silk Satin Cocktail Ensemble
French, early 1960s
Printed and flocked with black flowerheads, comprising a hip length cape with small collar, scoop necked shell with snaps in back, and a fitted knee length skirt, fuschia silk lining, labeled: Givenchy/Paris.
doylenewyork

Sacheverelle, that's a gorgeous photo.

Would you please provide the site that you got it from as a source?

1953 Givenchy #2

"John Rawlings turns his attention to model Suzy Parker in this photograph, which appeared in the October 15, 1953, Vogue. She wears Givenchy's Chinese swinging lacquer-print full skirt, complete with a layered lace petticoat and quilted satin jacket. The marbled background beautifully complements her attire, and her deliberate pose gives this work a painterly feeling."
www.condenaststore.com

From the Spring 1968 collection, photographed by Avedon.

Attachments

• british_vogue_april_1_1968__penelope_tree__avedon5sm.jpg
    british_vogue_april_1_1968__penelope_tree__avedon5sm.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 23
Givenchy Hat, Paris 1957 - Frank Horvat

via flickr.com / vintagevogue

Blouse & tweed skirt by Givenchy Apr 15 1963
Hat by Stanley and Livingstone
2ntgx1l.jpg

flickr. fredbaby

So many wonderful pics :crush: Sometimes I wish Givenchy could be like that again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->