1936-2008 Yves Saint Laurent

that collection was historical, at that time the 40's style was refered to bad taste, & everyone was excited to see what is next at ysl after his succes in le smoking line, but when the audiance went out with the 40's clothes they were shocked, while yves, loulou & pier where laughing in the backstage on thier reaction, after that it became popular.

the green fur was too much at that time, it was a too much collection.

tom ford recalled that era & inspired this collection too in s/s 02/03 as he did inspired the fur coat with fur tails...here are the pics...

Spike413 said:
I wanted to post some pictures from my all time favorite Yves collection, the '40s inspired collection he did in 1971.....so chic, so cool, and definitly what I think of when I think of the glory days of Saint Laurent.

b&w photos: YSL-hautecouture.com, color photos: Firstview.com

Last edited by a moderator:
taz said:
that collection was historical, at that time the 40's style was refered to bad taste, & everyone was excited to see what is next at ysl after his succes in le smoking line, but when the audiance went out with the 40's clothes they were shocked, while yves, loulou & pier where laughing in the backstage on thier reaction, after that it became popular.

the green fur was too much at that time, it was a too much collection.

tom ford recalled that era & inspired this collection too in s/s 02/03 as he did inspired the fur coat with fur tails...here are the pics...
Oh yes, those were my two favorite collections he did.

It still amazes me how scandalous that collection was though, especialy considering how commonplace it is for designers to look back to past eras for fashion inspiration....also, it's just such a chic look. The cubby fur, wide shoulders and nipped in silhouette, it's just gorgeous.

I know it's not really vintage, but those photos of Christy Turlington are stunning....rather she is stunning in them. Unbelievable beauty... Phew.
I also love Catherine Deneuve's little fitted coat thing with the collars and epaulettes. She is also beautiful in that film.

ok PLEASE...
please please DO NOT post images of designs from other people here..
this thread is about YSL!!!!!!!...not the label...but the DESIGNER AND THE MAN!~!!

this is not about people who have tried to be ysl or are inspired by ysl or have copied ysl or any other thing...
it is ABOUT YSL!!!...

**also...please do not re-post images...
thank you...:flower:

mdankwah, thank you so much! In the photos on the Foundation's website, there is a very similar dress in a different fabric from Fall/Winter 1978, and the rest of that collection features a lot of dark velvet, which is what my dress is made of. So I think I can pretty confidently say this dress is Fall/Winter 1978 -- even more exciting because that's when I was born! If you know anywhere I might be able to see the full collection, that would be even more awesome...

someone :wink: told me that it really reflected the women's collection until a certain time...it would be interesting to see that...

A little bird told me something similar...

I wanted to post some highlights from http://www.ysl-hautecouture.com/ but the licenses have expired on all my screenshot utilities.

Another favorite Yves collection is the African inspired one from 1967....the beadwork of these dresses just amazes me.

a859180c.jpg
00130.L.JPG

6690e2ce.jpg
00131.L.JPG

3dd04991.jpg
00137.L.JPG

0b427b60.jpg
00139.L.JPG

00132.L.JPG

00133.L.JPG

00134.L.JPG

B&W photos: YSL-Hautecouture.com, Color photos: Firstview.com

thank you so much spike...seems like 1967 was a good year for our friend yves...^_^

what year are the newer pics from spike?...:flower:

His 2002 retrospective collection for the s/s 2002 couture season.

the link for anyone who would like to check it out.
Firstview.com

wow, spike, you've managed to find some amazing photographs. :shock: :heart:
i'd give you more karma if i could.

anyone familiar with these?

since you all seem so knowledgable about YSL, i was wondering if you could help. i aquired these just a couple of days ago. they are both YSL but im not sure from what time period or collection. i have a post in the shoe forum, but no ones been able to help as of yet. hopefully someone here can help me! much appreciated!

well-you've got the link to all the ysl archives...
maybe if you browse through you'll find them...:flower:

well there are a couple of collections that these look like they could have been from, all early nineties...but even w/ the picture enlarged, its really hard to tell. great site with the archives!!!

I really like those boots, they'd look great with this winters Russian inspired coats.

Sorry I 'm late in thanking you all for these wonderful pics that reveal SO much of what Yves REALLY means as far as 20th Century fashion is concerned .

At the risk of Soft's ire , I cannot resist reposting this image as the outfit is ME . ( In spirit , at the VERY least . )

attachment.php

I have the leather jacket and numerous trousers in the same vein . In fact I have a number of Yves leather jackets which are absolutely amazing , and I also have a dark brown leather trench maxi-coat from the first men's collection that he did , and was the subject of much publicity when the St.Laurent Rive Gauche Homme shop opened on the Brompton Road in 1970 .
There was a Russian feel to the collection , and I fell in love with a side buttoning astrakhan overcoat with wolf sleeves , that was THE piece of the collection , but well beyond my pocket at the time .

The Lady Rendlesham deigned to sell the side -buttoning black Russian shirt of the collection , at the extraordinary price of £10 , as a come on , and of course it was sold out in hours .
Another highlight of the collection was a knitted navy wool tank top with a circle of varicoloured lurex in the front , to be worn with one of the Yves basics , a mandarin collared silk shirt . Fabulous . It was said that Yves and Pierre had EVERY concierge in Paris , madly knitting away to meet the orders for this first , SO important men's collection .

As for the famous ' Montmartre poule ' collection , it caused a riot , as the ladies who lunch of the time , were appalled by the sight of young shapely women , dressed in broad shouldered red dresses , printed with lucious lips and swaying rhythmically with utter sexual abandon , and were expected to buy into this stack of memories that Yves retained from his youth .

To be entirely fair , La Rendlesham stoutly defended Yves and told him to send out his collection again to confound the critics , but unfortunately it only resulted in Yves sending out a very staid and safe collection the following season , very much based on clothes that were sold in the UK label ' JAEGER ' collections , if not like the equally bourgeois French ' Rodier ' collections .

Yves was a genius in ' L'Art de Choc ' and all this simply served to keep his name in the public eye as the ultimate fashion designer , despite the fact that Karl Lagerfeld was snapping at his heels at CHLOE , and the Italians , like Walter Albini were already on the horizon to challenge the French dominance of RTW .

There'll be more from me on this thread as I remember it , but in the meanwhile , thanks so much again for all these glorious images that make me SO regretful of Tom Ford's attempt to ' do ' an Yves and nearly ruin the label as a result , although I will allow that the refurbishment of the shops that went with his revamp , have kept alive a truly venerable French institution that Stefano Pilati has managed to get the measure of , and earning worthwhile praise for his efforts into the bargain . :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiyahG
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->