Abercrombie & Fitch

I've worked for and modeled for Abercrombie and Fitch, it really is a buy-in to a lifestyle. Meaning, when a girl goes into an Abercrombie and Fitch, Abercrombie, Hollister, or Ruhel, and they buy a shirt, they are prone to feeling like they've bought into the lifestyle and the atmosphere of the store. It really is a method of exploiting the person's want to be accepted by the people they see in the posters.

^ i totally agree..

their clothes haven't changed since i first saw their stuff like... almost a decade ago, eeek. i've yet to see anyone wearing anything by ruehl... i saw a shop in vegas once but it was closed. are they even still around? the hollister stores are even darker and stuffier than abercrombie & fitch... maybe to mask the absolutely horrible quality of their clothes?

I've worked for and modeled for Abercrombie and Fitch, it really is a buy-in to a lifestyle. Meaning, when a girl goes into an Abercrombie and Fitch, Abercrombie, Hollister, or Ruhel, and they buy a shirt, they are prone to feeling like they've bought into the lifestyle and the atmosphere of the store. It really is a method of exploiting the person's want to be accepted by the people they see in the posters.

Isn't that what most high fashion brands have come to today though. Most brands such as Louis Vuitton and Gucci don't make their money off of clothing that is bought by the upper class, truly rich people. They make their money off of handbags and accessories that are bought my the middle class market who are buying into a dream and feel like they now are apart of a certain group, the upper class. In a way, these high fashion brands such as Gucci are exploiting their customers even more.

I'm not even an Abercrombie lover. I don't wear their clothing anymore but they are not really different than any other brands out there.
Also, people are talking about their lack of ethnicities. Hello, look at the entire fashion industry right now. There was an article recently which is on this forum somewhere about the lack of ethnicities and how designers don't even want to models of different races in their shows. Abercrombie has a token black in their ad campaign just as Dior does in their runway show. Donatella hasn't used black models in lord knows how long and it seems very blatant. And Prada hasn't used any either.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey is it cool to hate abercromie? i dont like abercromie's cluthings.

anyway i have seen someone wearing ruehl but i wouldn't have known if he didn't tell me.

i like raf cause he always has at least one black guy.

edit: i've never been in an A&F store before (or any of their diffusion brands) nor have i handled any of their cluthes so i can't really speak much about them. i have seen their website and i woulnd't buy anything on it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, it's not cool.

and when people hate A&F for selling a lifestyle, then all brands fall under the same categorie. even with edgy stuff, CdG, Raf, Ann, Kane or even more out there, you buy yourself into the lifestyle of believing that wearing it makes you truly different. that you're not like everyone else.

I like how most of the comments here can also apply towards a major portion of designers/brands nowadays. To the remark made about their designs not changing: Have you seen recent Jil Sander, Missoni, or Oscar de la Renta collections? Their pieces only change slightly in style from season to season, yet people rarely complain. I have a feeling most of the people here are against anything Abercrombie & Fitch, regardless of what exactly, which likely explains the negative mood in this thread.

i'm positive :flower:

plus i can't complain about the A&F sizes, as i fit nicely into an S (and i'm not ana! i even got a bit of extra baggage!) and literally SWIM in M.

I like how most of the comments here can also apply towards a major portion of designers/brands nowadays. To the remark made about their designs not changing: Have you seen recent Jil Sander, Missoni, or Oscar de la Renta collections? Their pieces only change slightly in style from season to season, yet people rarely complain. I have a feeling most of the people here are against anything Abercrombie & Fitch, regardless of what exactly, which likely explains the negative mood in this thread.

the difference is that a&f puts out some bland boring stuff. If they did something a little more interesting I know I wouldn't have such a bad opinion of them! But ODLR, missoni have lots of gorgeous and classic items which is why they can make the same thing ever season. They have a signature style which a&f lacks.

duh. That's what they ALL do. :ninja: just not so blatantly.

the difference is that a&f puts out some bland boring stuff. If they did something a little more interesting I know I wouldn't have such a bad opinion of them! But ODLR, missoni have lots of gorgeous and classic items which is why they can make the same thing ever season. They have a signature style which a&f lacks.

I have to agree with you 100% and it's not just the fact that they lack style and originality but the quality of the garments sucks as well. Button's fall off, seams rip and become loose... if their clothing was, in the very least, solid pieces that wouldn't fall apart then maybe there would be some worth behind them.

Why so? And you know, posting a comment like that with no evidence to support it isn't so smart, either. :P
if i told you all why i would probably be banned for breaking positivity rules or something. they don't like criticism on this site. i also don't care if you agree with me so i don't really feel the need to back it up.

well, i criticize Miuccia Prada and her lines, Frida's Gucci and Avante Garde wear the whole time. fact is though, i tend to back it up (my opinion, that is). i don't think it's too smart to just go in this thread and start with "oh, is there A&F hating here? if so, i wanna join, cause i hate A&F. i don't need a reason, i just wanna hate."

I don't like the store because I feel the clothes are way too overpriced for the quality that they actually are. I took my little cousin shopping once and she begged me to go in there. Mind you I get in trouble with my aunt for letting her make foolish purchases without proper consent...well she was about to buy a plain white crewneck tshirt with some sparkles on it that said "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" or something along the lines of that and the shirt was about $28. She got mad at me for not allowing her to buy it...we could probably find the same top at target for $15.

Needless to say my aunt treated me well that day.

People on here are saying that the quality is bad but their jeans last for years. I have jeans from my sophomore of high school and i'm 19 now, I still have t-shirts dating back from my sophomore year of high school also. Maybe the quality is bad now and I just haven't experienced it considering my style has changed and I don't buy their new clothes too much anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->