All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

i will need interns come september...
good ones who are hardworking- and don't have attitude and aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty...also can handle VERY high pressure situations...

i'd say post your resume here...
no need to put your real name etc..
and if anyone is interested they can contact you....:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
haha well... we'll see if this comes to anything
but just out of interest ill post my credentials

~ I have graduated high school last year with high results (in australia we dont have SAT's obviously so my marks arnt in that format if anyone is interested in them)
~ i have completed a fashion business part-time one year course
~ i am currently working at a magazine publishing house as a general assistant and have had both work related and non work related experience on magazines such as harpers Bazaar, and also experience with some high profile australian desingers

i am interested in pusuing a career in a womens lifestyle/ fashion magazine but also am interested in styling

... sorry i tried not to go too much into detail on a public site etc but if anyone is interested please PM me!

Fashion internship question please!

Hello to whoever can give me some guidelines.. I was wondering if its possible and if there is a need for assistants to designers or anyone else in the industry,. I want to be a part of it so bad bnut honeslty i dont have much experince with writing or design or anything but id love to help out somehow...anysuggestions?

Originally Posted by cassavetes
Hi, I am interning with an up-an-coming designer in NY who was from the top fashion school and her stuff is carried in the top stores, it's been several months, but I learnt nothing.

Everytime I went to her studio, I didn't have to take off my jacket as I stepped in because I was immediately sent downtown or uptown, former for dropping off things to the showroom and PR office, latter for dropping off patterns or picking up samples. I lugged bolts of fabric in rain while they could have given me a ride because as I got back, they just drove back from the same area moments ago. She also sent her interns to return her sweater to Barneys or books to bookstores.

Please tell me is it what's supposed to be like interning for designers? Be it Dior or H&M? I really don't mind working for no money, but it irks me working for no knowledge. I literally had to squeeze the knowlege out of them, asking"why this why that" and got the shortest reply possible.

They have no problem finding new slaves though. They don't seem to care and I have never seen them giving anything -- free or reduced priced designs --- to any interns. Remember " The Devil Wears Prada" in which the auther was complaining having to run ANNA's errands? Buying coffee or drycleaning? But she got paid doing that! And she was driving her Jaguar on the opening scene while doing that! (but it is still bad)

Please tell us your interning experience, how good or how bad. Should I stay or should I go?

Most real companies are very strict about interning and being able to learn.

my fashion design program (that i'm going into this fall, if my govmnt. $$ assistance comes through) states that i have to work a said amount of hours in the undustry to graduate..

*is this usually done via internships?
*can your part-time job count toward this?

i'm going to ryerson university...if anyone is reading this thread and goes to ryerson or knows someone who goes there..
ANY feedback would be greatly apperciated..
thank you:flower:

softgrey said:
i am sad...
today was the last day for my two full-time summer interns...
and even though tthe season is basically over...
i have to go in for a few days to wrap things up and i am soooo sad that they won't be there in the morning..:cry:...

i miss them already...
they were both amazing and i wouldn't have survived the season without them...:heart:...

it's hard to say good bye...

I can imagine it is when you're working so closely with people, full time.
Do you take interns on from the local universities soft? Is the longest you'll take them only for a season?

bee.gif
s.gif
New York notebook
(Filed: 09/08/2006)

Summer work experience, or internships, are all the rage, but there are as many quirks as perks, warns Bee Shaffer
In the past, a typical summer for a university student involved travelling, maybe a part-time job as a waitress and a lot of doing nothing. Summer holidays were just that - holidays.
efbee199.jpg
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen allegedly did little work as internsThese days, at least in America, the season that students used to look forward to all year is anything but a vacation. Bikinis for the beach have been traded for "appropriate office attire", as they spend their summer days as lowly interns at the bottom of the corporate food chain, with a typical income of $0.
In an ideal world, these much-sought-after internships would entail valuable work experience, rather than the reality of fetching coffee, arranging messengers and sending faxes.
Sadly, it appears these "jobs" have become CV boosters more than anything else. I have one friend who had so little to do at the architecture firm where she interned that she spent the majority of her time reading Harry Potter and playing solitaire.
In addition, the actual process of acquiring an internship has become one of the most common forms of nepotism, with parents relentlessly calling in favours from friends (I must admit to abusing a few connections myself), while hard-working, intelligent and deserving students are frequently turned away so that some eminent person's daughter can have the job.
Even celebrities are taking on internships, although it is not clear how hard they work. Teen actress Mary-Kate Olsen worked for the photographer Annie Leibowitz while her twin sister Ashley did a stint at designers Zac Posen, along with first niece Lauren Bush. Harrods heiress Camilla al-Fayed spent some time at Vogue last year.
I happen to know one of Mary-Kate's fellow interns and he informed me that she didn't know what a negative was, and that when she attended a Sarah Jessica Parker shoot, she only stayed for an hour and all she did was sit and smoke Marlboro Reds. Apparently, she not only left the photo assistants dumbfounded, but also Ms Parker, who muttered: "What the hell is an Olsen twin doing here?"
So with all this pressure to secure one of these all-important internships, some of you must be wondering what tasks an intern must perform. I have experienced both the good and the bad in my summer jobs. I had my first-ever piece published, a 350-word blurb, but it was special to me, and I was able to take a two-week trip to Los Angeles to assist on a few shoots and pass it off as work. Not bad. Plus, I scored myself a cute date while on the job.
However, I also had to run around NY to find hand-towels for my boss and fetch the umbrella he had left at a restaurant the night before, and they wouldn't even pay my subway fare!
My good friend, who used to spend his summers as a lifeguard, has moved up in the ranks and this year he worked in the mergers and acquisitions department at JPMorgan. Like me, he's had a mixed experience, the good part being a BlackBerry, a corporate card for lunches, a company car when he worked later than 9pm, and quite an impressive salary for a 20-year-old student.
On the bad side, he was worked insane hours - 36 hours without a break was his record. One night, after taking me as his date to a party, he went back to the office and didn't leave until 4am.
Another friend of mine was told by the magazine that hired him to find out where juice vendors were in New York, so he walked from 34th to 59th streets between 2nd and 9th Avenue, counting all the juice carts. His story never ran. The same friend also worked at US Weekly, where he had to ask 100 people which Olsen twin was the hottest.
Other strange tasks I've heard about include playing with your boss's hair all day long and being obliged to run a triathlon. Baby-sitting duties are not unusual, and the interns at The Paris Review have to take out the rubbish.
But not all interns are treated like slaves. Jeff Whitledge, one third of the Trovata design team, told me his interns were told to take Thursdays off so they could have surf lessons. I guess they're more relaxed in California.
In terms of how to dress for an internship, I think it depends where you're working. When I started my summer job, I was very excited to wear all my new summer dresses with my Marc Jacobs heels, but I quickly realised that jeans and Converse sneakers might be more appropriate.
On the other hand, my best friend, Tess, is working at Vogue and she told me one of the most important things she learnt this summer was how to walk in heels. However, she's not complaining, adding that it's fun to get dressed up for work every morning. And she has discovered the office secret: keeping a pair of flats under your desk. Manolos are only necessary when the boss is around.

telegraph.co.uk

I've being interning at Bora Aksu for about a month now, it's been really good and he's a very nice man, Im hoping to move to Sophia Kokosalaki soon.

I'd love to intern at the Nordstrom's in Seattle (thinking about moving there next fall).
Anyone know anything about that program?

this may seem like an odd question,

i was wondering, what exactly is the term intern used for....is it only for art/design careers?

1. A student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training.
  2. A physician who has recently graduated from medical school and is learning medical practice in a hospital under supervision, prior to beginning a residency program.
  3. One who is interned; an internee
<-----this was in the dictionary

also how many hours range, is it expected for interns?

=)

Internships are used in many different fields of work ... not just fashion or design (eg: the doctor reference that you just posted). There are also law interns ... one that comes to mind.

It's very common in this industry ... because so much of what we do is learned on the job and we get ahead by having connections. And internship gets you into the environment so you can begin to make connections with people who are up and coming in the industry and if you are very lucky, very obsevant and seen as responsible enough to be trusted with important tasks ... you might even learn a thing or two and actually get to participate in a little bit of the real work.

I don't think that there is a "standard" number of hours for an internship. Often internships are for school credit and the school will determine the number of hours required and the internee must find an internship that works. But it's usually part time ... maybe 2 or 3 days a week, or every day for 4 hours ... something like that.

mdankwah said:
I've being interning at Bora Aksu for about a month now, it's been really good and he's a very nice man, Im hoping to move to Sophia Kokosalaki soon.

hey!!...
that's great!...
good for you mdankwah!...

:flower:...

where are internships advertised...
what is the best way to FIND an intern?...

anyone have any tips or advice?...

Softie ... I'd say go to the local fashion and design schools. They may have a central posting board or certain instructors that lead the internship "classes" and would probably love to know that you are offering internships ... at least that's how I'd do it here.

yes- that is a good one...
i have also gotten good ones from posting online...

i have to write an ad for an intern to post online..
and i am not sure how to write it...:ermm:...

^Just out of curriosity, what would a stylist like yourself be looking for in an intern? I would love to intern with a stylist, but I'm not in a fashion specific program. I didn't know stylists even used interns, I'm very intriqued.

ok- well
its' basically what an intern would do in a fashion dept of a magazine...

they would unpack clothes...put them on hangers ...
check them in...*make sure everything is there...
organize the files for each shoot...
speak to designer PR (public relations) people about receiving and returning samples...
go on errands..
go on shoots...
answer the phone...
generaly help out...
pack up fedex shipments...
write invoices for overseas shipments...
update the rolodex...
take pics of models for castings...

*it's a lot of packing and unpacking and being EXTREMELY organised...
everything has to get back to where it came from safely and on time!!!......

etc...it's a wide variety of experience...:flower:

How would one go about contacting a stylist for an internship - magazines have websites and contact details - but what about stylists? TIA:smile:

stylists have AGENTS...contact the agency...:wink:

but fashion editors are essentially stylists too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->