All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

Hey, I wanted to ask, if an internship in USA is paid, how much do they pay usually?

Fashion/media internships - you'll be lucky if they cover your travel and/or lunch expense. Seriously. The rare ones which are paid a regular salary are highly sought after - they're practically one in a million.

Finance/law internships - standard holiday pay.

Hey, I wanted to ask, if an internship in USA is paid, how much do they pay usually?

Most pay zero. If they do pay , it's not really an internship ... it's just an entry level job ... but "minimum wage:" is the most likely.

anyone know of anything in london in the history of art field?
e.g. gallieries and auction houses

I think they do internships in the V&A, and the tate galleries also...it's worth having a look round at different galleries websites and seeing if they have any info in the jobs sections.

Hi there, last week i applied for a position interning with the Times Style magazine. This is my first application for an internship with a publication and it has been a week since i sent off my CV, should i follow up today, leave it a little longer or not follow up at all? What is the usual protocol?

Thanks for your advice :smile:

It's pretty much like any job application. Chances are, they will not contact you unless they are interested. But ... it never hurts, after about a week, to call and ask if it was received ... just say you are following up to confirm that they got it. That sometimes will make them pay a little more attention to it ... if they liked you on the phone. Of course... most of the time, these just go into the human relations department (or whatever you call it in your country) and some clerk just passes it along to whoever is reviewing them. But if they pull it out and put it on top of the pile, as a result of talking to you, that is a good thing.

i've just started my first proper work experience and i must say i'm completely knackered after the first few days! i'm the only one interning in my 'department' so i pretty much to EVERYTHING. i'm not trying to be all 'i'm too good for this, i want to do actual learning' because i do feel i'm learning just by observing but i do SO MUCH that it's almost too much responsibility for someone who's just started, if you know what i mean? as in, they should be hiring someone to do the amount of work i'm doing, but hey, why would they ever hire/pay someone if they KNOW there are loads of eager students like me wanting to get that on their CVs haha

I'm so desperate to get an internship! But not only do I not have fashion industry experience, I don't have ANY work experience. None whatsoever. Is there any chance that anybody would hire me?!

None of that matters. The whole purpose of a internship is to learn and gain experience. I got my first internship without ever having any fashion industry experience and my only real work experience was from working at a fast food restaurant. Just show that you're enthusiastic and have a little knowledge about the field you're entering. Enthusiasm goes a long way.

^ thanks, that's really encouraging to hear. I'm going to try come up with a resume and then I'm going to pimp myself out there! :P

{{ internships&&citizenship }}

hey misses&misters^_^

i moved to america about 3 years ago now... and i have got approved to work ect..... so im waiting the long wait for the letter in the mail which takes forever..so i was wondering if i need my social # to do Internships, Work Experience Placements && all thats stuff...i already have my highschool diploma

Work experience in England

Where can I go thats fashion related for work experience in the UK? I'm fourteen years of age and I am determined to find somewhere I can go to work for a week that involves fashion.

What a wonderful expression of determination you have. Call everyone. If you were in Southern California, I'd say yes, come on down to the studio and roll up your sleeves. I was your age when given the opportunity to work in theater summer stock. I knew how to sew and that allowed me to work in costuming.

I wish you much luck on your search.

Jean

The problem is you might need to wait until you're sixteen, or working on a fashion-related course. Maybe ask around your local area at shops and see if they will employ you to get started, and then build up from there?

Go through the yellow pages, and find absolutely ANYTHING related to fashion, regardless of whether it's exactly what you want. I think gaining experience in anything related to the field is going to help you in your future!

p.s. what kind of job in fashion are you exactly thinking of pursuing?

Thank you so much for your suggestions and i like the idea of the yellow pages, that means it will be local! I would love to do styling or fashion journalism but for now I'm not to fussy as long as it involves my love of fashion.

I recently called the offices of a local magazine to get information about the fashion department. I was given the email address of the fashion editor. When I emailed her she said that she was no longer there, so I asked for the email address of someone in the department. She told me she would forward my resume to the appropriate person. The thing is I never sent her a resume. Should I have sent one to her so that she could forward it? What’s the appropriate way to reply? Should I just ask for the email of the person in charge of the fashion department? I don’t want to seem annoying and pesky, but I really want to intern at this magazine in the spring.

I recently called the offices of a local magazine to get information about the fashion department. I was given the email address of the fashion editor. When I emailed her she said that she was no longer there, so I asked for the email address of someone in the department. She told me she would forward my resume to the appropriate person. The thing is I never sent her a resume. Should I have sent one to her so that she could forward it? What’s the appropriate way to reply? Should I just ask for the email of the person in charge of the fashion department? I don’t want to seem annoying and pesky, but I really want to intern at this magazine in the spring.

you should reply back with an attachment of your resume saying something along the lines of thank you so much, I would appreciate that greatly. I have attached a copy of my resume... etc

Actually, I think that if you can get to the current fashion editor in person it would be best. I'd do everything I could to communicate directly with her.

Sometimes assistants and receptionists work as a "gatekeeper" ... which means that they are either told to or take it on themselves to "protect" the boss from random inquiries and things that can take up the boss's time. So, sometimes your "attachment" and email never even reach the person you wan't to impress ... if the "gatekeeper" decides that it's not important. It's always better to get past the gatekeeper and communicate directly with the person who hires, if at all possible.

So, since you have already been told that the Fashion Editor is the person who you need to talk to, I'd go back and just either call or email the company and ask for the Fashion Editor's name and contact info. Don't say what it's for, unless they insist. If you get it, attach a resume to a well thought out, but brief letter of introduction, stating the most impressive thing about why she should consider you for an internship and ask for a meeting ... and send it directly to the Fashion Editor.

Of course ... if the no longer have a fashion editor at all .. then you have to ask some more questions about who is in charge of the fashion dept., etc ... or if it's a small magazine, you can always go the the editor in cheif. Hey ... if you impress the top boss ... and he or she passes your resume down to someone lower, that lower person will pay a lot more attention to it. :wink:

If they still won't give you the editor's contact information thank them and tell them you will send it later. Then do some homework ... the name and contact info is probably on the masthead of the magazine or the website. If you get a name but not an email, you can try the receptionst again and just say, can you give me Jane Doe's email, please? If you use her actual name, sometimes they won't question you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any tips on writing a cover letter for PR and marketing internships?
im applying for next year an I know that its going to be really competitive so I have to have a really good cv and cover letter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->