All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

One of my friends told me that in America, they prioritize jobs to citizens rather than giving them to international people, including internships. Is that true?

Also it says on DVF.com that they currently offer spring internships, but shouldn't that have started in Jan/Feb?

Yes .... it's true, for jobs. Internships are a bit different, if you are doing it through your school ... at least as far as the government application goes. But I"m not sure how different it is.

I do know that for real jobs, your employer must sponsor you so that you can get a work visa ... and both you and the company hiring you must demonstrate why you, specifically, are needed for this job. You must be able to show the you have experience that makes you special above an average American.

For anyone seeking an internship (or a job) in the US and they are not a legal resident or US citizen, here's the place you need to go: www.uscis.gov "United States Citizenship & Immigration Services" ... and you'll see that there are different forms and processes, depending on how and why you will be working in the U.S..

The site seems to be down right now, I beleive that there is a link about internships there, somewhere .... I just looked at it a couple of days ago.

^ Yeah, the US is a pain. but it's their loss. i'd recommend all talented europeans to seek jobs and internships in europe instead, like london or paris. it's alot easier!

Hey, I'm looking to do a summer internship at a magazine, fashion house or just anywhere that is fashion orientated? How would you go about finding a an internship like that and if I wear to intern at a highstreet shop like Topshop, would that give me any insite on the fashion world?

I am also looking for any good places that'll have under 18's or any good UK based fashion PR firms? Does London Fashion Week do internships?

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know about under 18s but you can get internships during fashion week with the british fashion council...and PR companies are always looking for extra help as well.

high street shops would definitely give you a good insight, especially topshop since they're huge. just send your CV anywhere really, and call back to check if they've received afterwards! it is a matter of luck sort of thing, especially with magazines. sometimes they get CVs and if they're not looking for anyone they just throw them out without even looking at them, then other times they might be looking for someone so you'll be in luck

can anyone tell me what fashion related companies look for in a resume. like skills and whatever else. i don't think i listed the right things on my resume. i need help.

This thread has been a huge help interms of figuring out how I should go about getting an internship, thanks everyone!

well, i have yet again for the 5th time been denied from another fashion related internship. im starting to feel like they aren't looking for a student looking for a learning expirence but someone who is on the same level as thier employees.

can anyone give me some advice as what to do? i don't have any fashion related work expirence, but i've been obsessed with fashion for years. i have only worked three jobs. hair salon secretary, property manager's assistant and baby-sitting.

does anyone know where or who i can submit my cover letter & resume so i can get some feed back?

don't get discouraged! i've applied for a number of internships this summer didn't here back from any. i finally got an interview after weeks of thinking i would never get an offer. you just have to keep in mind that this is a competitive industry. what types of internships are you applying for?

anything related to fashion. i sent resumes to modeling agencies, 2 fashion designers (not the big ones, too competitive) a fashion magazine, jewlery company for PR & design.

^^^btw thanks sidwalks for the encouraging words.

one thing you could do is write back to companies and places you've applied to. find the person in charge of hiring interns and ask them what they are looking for and if you've written to them on a number of occasions and you think they'll remember who you are ask them if they can tell you what is was about you application that may have needed a little work and how you can stand out next time. also, go to the career services office at your school and take you resume and cover letter along. they will critique it and tell you what you need to fix.

i have an interview tomorrow and before they make their final decision i have to take a fact checking test. does anyone know what this is? i know what fact checking is, i'm just not sure how the test would be conducted. has anyone ever taken one?

The only thing I know about "fact checking" is that it's done in journalism ... it's the process they use to verify that something someone has said is true, or not. But they might use it in other situations ... just to verify what someone has said.

In fact, when ever someone want's to hire you, they would "fact check" first ... call previous employers to verify that you did work there during the times you gave, get infromation from your school like grades and diplomas.

Is it possible that they said that they are fact checking on you and/or you also will be taking some sort of proficiency test to verify what you can do? That would make more sense to me.

sorry i should have clarified, it is a journalism internship. the woman i'm interviewing with told me i would be tested on my fact checking abilities.

Aha .... then that makes total sense.

It's probably too late ... but I would ask in the Fashion Journalism thread since it might have some members who are actual journalists popping in there and they would be able to advise you about how it's done in general. Fact checking is a very specialized skill ... only something that journalists and journalism students would know about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->