All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

My university is offering internships abroad at different companies. You have to apply thru the university and they'll choose the best candidates.
I found the website of this particular company I want to apply for,and under the "career" section there's the name and email of the person responsible for hiring interns.
Do you think it will be a bad move to bypass my university and try to get a direct contact with the company?

I'd do both ... the Uni won't care if you find something on your own. But if you are not sure ... ask them. Just make sure it meets the requirements to get credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if W Magazine has switched offices yet...I heard they were? My friend wants to apply for a fall internship there, but she wants to map it out right. If someone has the info, let me know.

SO, i have a phone call scheduled for tomorrow with a major fashion house for an internship. I'm totally freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do you guys have any advice on what should I say??!
Is there a specific thread ?
please please please help me out!!!

Fashion Jobs- Interview tips

An interview for an internship is really the same as an interview for a paid job ... so these tips would apply.

It's a phone interview ... so just stay calm and really listen to their questions. They can't see you, but they can hear if you are rushed or neverous ... or calm and prepared. Don't talk too fast ... take a deep breath before anwering any question ... it should help calm you.

Be prepared to discuss a bit about the stuff on your resume/application. They will probably ask you why fashion? What your goals are? Know this and be able to state it succinctly.

They will probably ask you why you want to intern for them in particular (do some research today, learn about the company thier history and and thier upcoming events, new stores, shows ... any little tidbit about the direction they are going now ... and if you can work in a comment about them, you will impress them).

They may ask you what you expect from the internship. This one's tricky ... yes, you want to learn about the fashion world and thier company and you want to make connections with people who already work in fashion so you can learn from them, but don't make it too self serving ... it's not all about you. They are more interested in how you will fit in and if you will do the work with a good attitude. Internships are brutal ... they they want positive people who don't let them down.

So, be sure that you let them know that you are willing to put in the hard work that they probably expect from an intern, that you are open to any task that they give you. Let them know that you are reliable (don't ever miss days, etc., will complete any job given), you are always on time and work hard. Let them know that you can take direction (meaning someone can boss you around) or that you can work independently (meaning that you can find constructive things to work on, if someone isn't there to tell you what to do) and that you enjoy being part of a team. (I hope that all of this is the truth ... because, if it isn't, the internship won't go as well as expected ... so make sure you live up to all of these, if you get the gig.)

Good luck ... I hope they take you!

thank you so much!!!!
You've been SOOO helpful!
Hope everything works out for me :smile:

I want to apply for an internship at a magazine, but i'm unsure of how to. They have an email available on their website to contact if you are interested in interterning with their magazine. However, i'm not sure what I should write/include in the email.

Just send a cover letter and your resume. For more information about those and what to write in them, there is thread in this forum ... just search "resume, resumes" and you should find it.

I want to apply for an internship at a magazine, but i'm unsure of how to. They have an email available on their website to contact if you are interested in interterning with their magazine. However, i'm not sure what I should write/include in the email.

You could email them and just ask what they want to know. Some internship like a cover letter, some don't--others just want a resume with a date of when you can start and how many days you can do.

ed2010.com has a good list for internships in media.

I am so frustrated at the moment. For some reason my University has updated their website saying that they will only cover/insure students who do placements at non-for-profit organisations. I don't understand why? Every other school in my state covers their students, as long as the work experience placement is related to their coursework.

I don't know how much insurance costs, but it's just annoying because I want to do a short-term placement interstate, so I'll be paying for travel expenses/accom and now insurance to top it off. Sigh.

I am so frustrated at the moment. For some reason my University has updated their website saying that they will only cover/insure students who do placements at non-for-profit organisations. I don't understand why? Every other school in my state covers their students, as long as the work experience placement is related to their coursework.

I don't know how much insurance costs, but it's just annoying because I want to do a short-term placement interstate, so I'll be paying for travel expenses/accom and now insurance to top it off. Sigh.

I'm not sure what exactly falls under the 'covering/insuring' of students for placements, but could it be that this is part of a new system and that the school will ask the company/organization to cover the student in order to cut back on costs that the school makes and non-profit placements are still covered because those companies usually don't have the necessary fund for such things.

It is a logical step for a school to make if they need to save on costs because companies will probably have things like costs and all for work placements in their financial plans (this of course might not include small companies)

I'd say just ask the appointed person at your university about why they changed it and discuss your wish/plans to do an interstate placement. They might have certain arrangements for such situations or can give you advice on how to best handle all the costs.

Is there a special place that west coast offices post internships? I know Vogue, WWD, ect have LA interns but all the sites only post NYC internships.

I would suggest that you just contact each of them (if they have a west coast office) directly and ask if they have an internship program there and ask who you would have to speak to about it. If they have an interhship program, that person can advise you if they post them anywhere. Or if they don't actually post them, the should be able to tell you about when they accept applications, the requirements (like college credits) and how to apply.

Hi guys

What does one wear to be an intern?

I just got a placement with a PR firm in London.

Any advice much appreciated :flower:

Hi,guys, I have a question. I am working as an intern for the Gucci store in Toronto. They are all really nice people, but all I do is staying in the stock room or working with the sales. I think I did learn something from this unpaid job, but I am not sure how worthy is it since I do not want to be a sales? Would the fashion companies think this is a sound experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->