Are there any fashion rules left?

Autumn

Reaction score
Someone jokingly teased me that I was breaking a "fashion rule" by wearing my white pants. Labor Day in the US was this past Monday. No white after Labor Day seems likes a rule long since thrown out. It was just a tease so I giggled along with him. But it got me thinking, are there any fashion rules left? It's so popular to tread your own path fashion-wise that the idea of fasion rules comes across stuffy. What do you think?

no fashion rules left.. which is brilliant i guess
just wear whatever you feel like and have a good time :wink:

No white at a wedding (unless you are the bride!). I think this is still respected by most people. Or not?

No jewellery at the beach. Thousands break this rule but i think it is still a no-no.

No heels on a boat. The owner will kill you!.

I agree with Lena, the days of fashion rules seem to be gone. The only thing is to wear what you feel comfortable in and always try to look good as opposed to "trendy"

Lena & TaperJeanGirl said it, fashion has no rules, the only rules is to wear what truly represent YOU.

I agree with Shadow about no white at weddings and the heels on a boat thing. I'll admit I wear some jewelry at the beach. I'm addicted and simply can't leave the house without some. LOL

Other don'ts for me are.....

Fleshtone pantyhose with open toed sandals, especially in the Las Vegas desert in the middle of summer. I work with a woman who does this and I can't look at her feet without wanting to vomit.

Wearing ill fitting shoes where your toes hang off the fronts (or your heels off the back) of the shoe.

Oh yeah and fake bags, I loathe fake designer bags. With all the great inexpensive designs out there why bother with a fake. If I couldn't afford the real deal I would much rather carry a chic no name than a fake designer.

Other than that I agree almost anything goes as long as it fits properly.

Most important fashion rule: don't leave the house naked.

^That's about the only one I'll stick to. The rest of these so called 'rules' - tosh to them is all I can say...!

I don't think anyone respects the no white at weddings rule, which I personally think is the most ignorant and appalling lack of manners.

there are no rules in fashion now ...do your own thang dont give a crap ...thats fashion..its all in the attitude.
i read some article about one season its big top small bottoms and another season vice versa, what a load of crap , just wear what looks good on you.

Fashion rules are usually made up by trend followers. Hence why Victoria Beckham has "writen" a book about her own fashion rules :innocent:

I think the only real rules aren't about colors and fits, but just about being appropriate for certain occasions.

like you should wear a suit for a professional job interview, or you should dress up for weddings and somberly for funerals.

things like "no white after labor day" are just archaic and outmoded and most people don't really care

I certainly make a point not to be in white from head-to-toe at weddings, out of respect for the bride.
Other than that....no rules watsoever! :smile:

i've never even heard of most of the rules mentioned in this thread, so i guess that's kinda evidence that fashion rules are not relevant any more. as long as people are wearing clothes which flatter and accentuate their figure as opposed to following trends blindly i can't think of any rules that should be imposed. actually, scratch that, NO MORE UGGS! that is the fashion rule above all others :wink:

Do not upstage the bride lol :P

Well, it's not really a fashion rule...

Hum ... what about no socks and sandals? Thats a no no!
(Unless you're a geisha on the winter/fall ... tabi socks and geta sandals are OK)

HBoogie said:
Most important fashion rule: don't leave the house naked.

:woot: HB, long time no see :P

well, not wearing heels on a sailing boat, is not a fashion 'rule' its only safety reasons ^_^
as for socks and sandals.. peep toes can look fab with socks and some high heel sandals look cool with socks too..

i totally believe in us having our very 'own/personal' rules (eg. no uggs, no flesh tone tights, no orange lipstick etc)
but i'm so glad to see those 'universal' fashion rules our moms and grandmothers grew up with, evaporating in thin fashionably anarchic air.

still, 'anything goes' sounds a bit more simplistic than it really is.. while freedom in expression is becoming the new trend 'must' one needs some 'practice' in order to 'polish' the art of self expression, the art of 'doing things my way'

;( im guilty for liking uggs still, their comfort keeping me wearing them. but my comfort has it's limits, I will not wear those ugly crocs.

is it still bad to wear denim jackets with jeans :(? ahha i want a denim jacket but what would i wear it with without freezing to death lmfao (I would only be able to wear it with a skirt) my closet consists of jeans

the only rule i go by is no white socks with black pants and black shoes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melizz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->