Blackheads

^^ I agree. Minimizing blackheads with the dirt in sounds eww... :blush:

I think there is no perfect treatment for blackheads, but we can avoid having them by washing face often. However it depends on skintype too..

Sorry Ida, I do not agree with you on your theory to not extract blackheads. I'm an aesthetician. I've been performing extractions on myself (and I pay meticulous attention to my skin) and clients and never have I seen pores getting larger because of this. Maybe this happened to you personally or you read it somewhere but most aestheticians do extractions.

To keep blackheads to a minimum you should cleanse and exfoliate regularly (dont overcleanse, and cleanse only at night like someone mentioned) and use a sterilizer or marvicide or barbicide to clean your extractor tool in between uses.

Sorry Ida, I do not agree with you on your theory to not extract blackheads. I'm an aesthetician. I've been performing extractions on myself (and I pay meticulous attention to my skin) and clients and never have I seen pores getting larger because of this. Maybe this happened to you personally or you read it somewhere but most aestheticians do extractions.

To keep blackheads to a minimum you should cleanse and exfoliate regularly (dont overcleanse, and cleanse only at night like someone mentioned) and use a sterilizer or marvicide or barbicide to clean your extractor tool in between uses.
I had a facial once, and the aesthecian told me that it wasn't any good extracting blackheads. I have talked to others who have experienced that it only made matters worse - bigger pores, worse blackheads. Well, she didn't think I really needed that facial since my skin is pretty normal.

The only client I would not perform extractions on would be someone with severe rosacea or with cystic acne. I wouldnt take someone with this skin condition as a client anyhow, because getting facials is not what will change their skin. It's obviously a personal preference to extract or not to extract but it's not going to make pores larger. Sorry but there's no product that can penetrate the layers of your skin to "minimize" the bacteria and white blood cells that are in a hair follicle that create a blackhead. They must be removed under sterile conditions using proper extraction procedures. Otherwise it's just going to build up and can cause an outbreak.

Extract or not to extract? Again a question about we could argue forever. :D

I'm not a dermatologist, but somehow i can't believe pore minimizing products can "push" out all the dirt as the pore is getting smaller and smaller. Plus i don't believe in the pore minimizers you can find in any shops.

Lately i don't go to aesthecian, rather i steam my face gently with dried camomile in hot water so the pores open and after i wash my face and i push out the visible blackheads.
There is a medical cream i use after extracting so there is no redness and wound.

The reason why I am skeptical about keeping them in and staying away from the extractor is because I've tried multiple products that claimed they would prevent blackheads and such but it never works.

And there's also the fact that it's pleasant to do the dirty job yourself. :shifty: It's like you're getting the junk out in front of your own eyes..........

I don't think you understand me. I haven't used any of the pore minimizing products, that's not what I was saying. But I have recently started to use Decleor Essential Balm - on the package it said nothing about minimizing pores and getting rid of blackheads, but that is exactly what it has done. And it doesn't push the tallow (ladies, it is not dirt, it is tallow, something your skin needs, completely natural) in. There is just less tallow than before.

I don't know how you get that idea about dirt beeing pushed in, that is just crazy.

This is all clear, but i think it's not only tallow.
There are tons of articles about polluted air and its bad effect on skin (ex.: dirt clogged in pores).
However the product you are using sounds good and the less tallow than before is logical.

Now let's get this straight girls and guys! :lol:

What Is A Blackhead?

Article Date: 22 May 2007 - 12:00 PST

To put it quite simply and non-mechanical, blackheads are little bumps embedded into the pores of our skin. They are usually yellowish or blackish in color. Blackheads are a type of acne called an open comedone. According to medical practitioners, blackheads are the first stage of acne, forming before bacteria invade the pores of our skin, which in turn, results in infection and inflammation, (otherwise known as the pimple). These lesions typically develop after puberty. It is at this time that hormones begin surging into the body and skin. The excess hormones in the skin result in stimulation of the oil gland. These glands are called sebaceous glands. This stimulation leads to excess oil production in the pores. The excess oil gets occluded in the pores resulting in a ball of accumulated oil which when exposed to air, turns black in color. There are many conditions that may cause or even worsen blackheads. Some of these causes are the use of topical oils and the use of makeup. While blackheads are present in most any skin type, they are most likely to develop on people with very oily skin.

Common Blackhead Causes

As previously stated, blackheads usually develop when the skin produces too much oil. A major factor contributing to excess oil production is the onset of puberty. At this time, hormones become unregulated due to a by product called dihydrotestosterone or DHT. This hormone results in the over activity of the oil gland which then results in clogged pores.

Another common cause of the appearance of blackheads is that the skin is has not been cleaned thoroughly. When skin is not cleaned properly, dead skin cells accumulate within the pores. :oThese dead cells then clog the pore opening which then results in oil build up, which we already know causes blackheads to form. Yet another cause of clogged pores is the use of too much makeup. Excessive use of moisturizes, foundations or sun screens can also have the same effect as the overuse of makeup.

A good rule of thumb to always follow is that whatever is it you put on your face throughout the day, be sure to take it off before going to sleep that night. Although thorough cleansing is essential, over-scrubbing or cleansing has been found to be one of the reasons for skin's anomalies and irritation. Although excessive oil is not beneficial, our skin needs a small amount to stay healthy. Too much scrubbing or irritation of the skin will result in reflex over activity of the oil gland. This will result in increased oil production and clogging of the pores, which, in turn, aggravates acne.

Blackheads Grow

Regular cleansing is recommended to everyone, whether blackheads are present or not. Initial symptoms of blackheads are not visible to the naked eye. As we spoke about earlier, if your skin is left unclean, more dirt is attracted to the skin. What starts out as yellow blackheads then turns into black, hard bumps which are difficult to extract. For this reason is always suggested to keep skin cleaned thoroughly.

Removing Blackheads

You can extract blackheads yourself if there is no sign of infection on or surrounding the blemish. :clap:If attempting to extract the blackhead yourself, always be sure to use sterile materials. It is also advised to be certain your environment is extremely clean. As suggested by skin experts, the first step would be to steam your skin for several minutes. The best way to do this is to place your face over a bowl of very hot water. It is also recommended to hold a towel over your head to keep in the steam. This will loosen the pores and make the extraction process less painful. Be careful not to scold yourself.

It is preferable to use a flat blackhead remover, or a comedone extractor to remove blackheads. You can find this product at any beauty store. It is highly recommended not to attempt to extract aggravated, inflamed or infected acne lesions since this will worsen the acne and can cause scarring.

If you are unsure of your ability to extract blackheads, it is recommended to visit a professional. Aestheticians and dermatologists can offer deep cleansing facial treatments designed to keep skin clear of black or white heads. The cost of these treatments may be a little high for your budget, but most are happy with the results and feel it is worth it in the long run.

Owned and operated by board certified Dermatologist Dr. Alex Khadavi, M.D., Clearogen offers diagnosis, research and an acne treatment for people suffering from acne which attacks the root causes of the issue.

medicalnewstoday.com
OK..........! :flower:

This is all clear, but i think it's not only tallow.
There are tons of articles about polluted air and its bad effect on skin (ex.: dirt clogged in pores).
However the product you are using sounds good and the less tallow than before is logical.
I have noticed that most of these articles are from cosmetic or skin care companies - not trustworthy. I have read a lot of those too, and I don't believe them. Pores are filled from within, remember :flower:

And regardin extracting - you can find other articles advising against it, so...yeah. I still don't think it's a good idea.

That article kinda grossed me out :lol:

^ Yeah, it's gross yet some of us cannot stop doing it. Like biting nails... :lol: :blush:
Thanks for the useful post! ^_^

I have a major blackhead problem. Don't get me wrong, they are not horrible, no one sees them under two layers of makeup :lol:But the things is, I had less of them when I was 13 than now and 13 was a nasty age. And they keep on spreading all over my face.
Facials are useless, because, first of all, they are painful. They extract all your blackheads, which with me, takes like an hour! Than you look like **** for two days and once the swelling goes down, there they are again!
I think using high-spf sunprotection every day made them 200% worse. So i-ve got to choose between clear wrinkly skin with a threat of skin cancer and dotted skin erupting with blackheads but without wrinkles and melanoma. Now here is a Sophie's choice. :ninja:

How old are you now? It could still be due to puberty if you are in your teens, but you can try my suggestions and see what happens. If nothing changes either way it is probably hormones and you have to wait it out. Sucks, I know. :rolleyes:

These are the only suggestions I can think of.

If you really are that afraid of getting wrinkles and skin cancer and the sunscreen you have is not already non-comedogenic (doesn't block pores) try finding another sunscreen that is non-comedogenic.

If that does not work maybe you can start wearing hats instead of putting on all that sunscreen? The shade will still protect your skin to a degree and you won't be blocking your pores. If you are not easily embarrassed you can also try doing what the Japanese ladies do and carry around a parasol to shield yourself from the sun.

How old are you now? It could still be due to puberty if you are in your teens, but you can try my suggestions and see what happens. If nothing changes either way it is probably hormones and you have to wait it out. Sucks, I know. :rolleyes:

These are the only suggestions I can think of.

If you really are that afraid of getting wrinkles and skin cancer and the sunscreen you have is not already non-comedogenic (doesn't block pores) try finding another sunscreen that is non-comedogenic.

If that does not work maybe you can start wearing hats instead of putting on all that sunscreen? The shade will still protect your skin to a degree and you won't be blocking your pores. If you are not easily embarrassed you can also try doing what the Japanese ladies do and carry around a parasol to shield yourself from the sun.

Oh no :shock: There is no way im giving up sunscreen. I use clarins but i used others before and they were all the same to my pores. I am way past my puberty, but my balckheads get worse and worse with every passing year.
Can you recommend any good sunscreen that doesn't clog pores?

guys, i found a cure!
bare minerals has a product called "rare minerals-blemish therapy"
i'm usually squeezing them out at night before bed, but noticed there are hardly any and it's only been 2 days.

guys, i found a cure!
bare minerals has a product called "rare minerals-blemish therapy"
i'm usually squeezing them out at night before bed, but noticed there are hardly any and it's only been 2 days.

I have heard of that product, but have not seen it in stores --of course, I'm not constantly looking---But, where did you get it?:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->