Céline S/S 2014 Paris

this is new but so ugly can't believe my eyes only attention whores trying to hard fashionista would wear these craps

80s inspired Japanese designs, not a fan and I quite dislike the geometrical accessories, just not aesthetically pleasing.

To me it seems like an amalgamation of Memphis Style and Nathalie du Pasquier with minimalism. It's weirdly mature! Like for a lady in her fifties who loves pottery and tribal art.

80s japonois on 20s and 30s dress silhouettes interesting!

I think it's rather confusing to look at - I don't see how the same customer that would have bought into her recent Fall/Winter collection would want to buy from this new one, it's so light years apart in aesthetic convictions to me. I don't know, besides the obvious commercial success of the label, I am not all too convinced of Phoebe Philo's allover creative direction of the line - She's jumping from minimalistic, clean lines one season to bad taste Prada-esque eclecticism in another. This one obviously leans towards the latter and I don't like it.

I am at least very intrigued by this collection. Something is really off, but intentionally off, about it that makes me interested in seeing it.

I agree, I love the accessories, shoes are amazing! bags thrilling! some of the coats ravishing - I can def see celebrities wearing these pieces :flower:

People have been copying her blatantly, from high street to other designers. I wonder if she does this intentionally to throw people off but have a different set of stuff for retail. That said, I like the prints but maybe they were intentionally styled badly. But we need more pants! Celine by Phoebe Philo is nothing without great pants.

Those yellow, back and red brush stroke pieces immediately reminded me of Peir Wu; the woven pieces of Faustine Steinmetz. But um...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank god for Philo...this is such a strong collection leaving me swooning for days to come!

I don't get the hate, I really don't. Yes, the hair and makeup is atrocious, yes, there are some ugly pieces, yes, the styling is throwing me off, but I think there are some beautiful separates here that could work with other, less flashy pieces. I really like the coats.

I don't get the hate, I really don't. Yes, the hair and makeup is atrocious, yes, there are some ugly pieces, yes, the styling is throwing me off, but I think there are some beautiful separates here that could work with other, less flashy pieces. I really like the coats.

In terms of the aesthetic, this would have been fine coming from a recent Saint Martins graduate with new generation sponsorship - It's got that quirky, borrowed from the 80ies thing going on that fashion students are drawn to, but I would have expected something more rigorously thought-out at Céline. You don't get the impression of a designer with a decidedly stable aesthetic vision from her various turns of aesthetics at Céline.

Well, this is different. And while at first sight it looks like she has been possessed, I agree there is something rather intriguing about this collection.

Part of me is really hating this, in a big, ugly, messy way.. but the bigger part of me is saying thank GOD - Phoebe Philo lead the way into the minimalism revival, she's seen everyone screaming 'We can do minimalism too!' and the countless, countless reproductions of the same minimal garments done by every designer under the sun, and now she's leading everyone out of minimalism and into something else.
It's disappointing to see that Celine isn't going to be a go-to minimal brand forever, such as Jil Sander, because she does it so incredibly well, but when you're a trendsetter like Phoebe Philo you have to set trends.
I don't like anything in this collection particularly, but it's almost as if I can feel her boredom of girly pastel drop-sleeve tops with little patch pockets on the breast, and I don't blame her for literally splashing paint back on the canvas.

What a crazy collection. I despise the shoes and think a lot here is completely hideous. But then there are some looks that I really like (this and these coats: #1, #2), which is something that rarely ever happens to me with Céline collections. I usually find them so overall uninteresting because Phoebe's kind of minimalism is just not my thing and I hardly ever find something about it that I appreciate. Therefore I've enjoyed this collection simply because it brings something new to the table. The silhouettes are unflattering, but a lot of the cuts are interesting, the choice of materials in some looks is intriguing, the juxtaposition of different elements is fun. Definitely not a "pretty" collection, but it's bold and I applaud her for going an entirely different route this time. I'm not really convinced yet she can pull it off, but I don't think she totally failed either.

Interesting to see all the reactions to this, though! I can see why people are shocked, but I have no doubt that this collection will end up reaching cult status anyway. Very fascinating collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->