Chanel S/S 10 Paris

If I can compare this collection to a movie, it would be a chick-flick romantic comedy with a climactic menage a trois in the end. For a second, during the finale I thought Karl would join the hay frolicking and be done with it. long live King Karl
Queen Alexander
Prince Marc
Princess Miuccia

Is it just me to think this: at the end, the closing trio, Lara, Freja and what his face (I can't remember off the top of my head). Judging from what Freja was wearing I definitely got a bisexual menage a trois vibe from this. I mean think about it. The guy and Freja were literally wearing the same thing. Maybe freja was supposed to symbolize a man. Perhaps that was the concept Karl was going for at the end hehe. Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking this.

IDK what do you guys think?

I guess my problem with Chanel as of late is that the shows, and even the collections for that matter, have become 90% gimmick.

I love it when Karl is ironic, but it used to be done in a much more elegant way...a cheeky little bag, or a trompe l'oiel effect on a dress, etc. Now, it's all at once and it's driving me crazy...it's just too much to have a ridiculous shoe, a dumb bag, a frilly dress, tattoos, straw in hair...all on one model. And to top it off, the set is wild, there's live music and campy choreography.

Karl...give us a break...PLEASE.

Agree 100% ^_^:flower:

I don't understand why people are swooning over this collection. It really is all a bit farcicle. Besides, it reminds me of when Dolce&Gabbana did the whole farm-chic thing, and if I must say so, they did it much better.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how this is a decent collection. 80% of it is in bad taste (clogs, straw on bags, ironic tatoos, etc) and the other 20% is nothing new or particularly exciting.

And what irks me most of all is the lack of criticism. Will anyone ever criticize a Chanel collection? I swear, I had never read a bad review of his work. Journalists and editors seem to praise his work unconditionally. Why can't someone for once be honest about the kistchy aspects of his work?

Maybe freja was supposed to symbolize a man. Perhaps that was the concept Karl was going for at the end hehe. Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking this.

It's not just you- as a matter of fact Tim Blanks asked him the very same thing in the Style.com video....(He gave a typically Karl sort of answer, whatever it was...) I think very little in Karl's work is just there by accident...:wink:

Is it just me to think this: at the end, the closing trio, Lara, Freja and what his face (I can't remember off the top of my head). Judging from what Freja was wearing I definitely got a bisexual menage a trois vibe from this. I mean think about it. The guy and Freja were literally wearing the same thing. Maybe freja was supposed to symbolize a man. Perhaps that was the concept Karl was going for at the end hehe. Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking this.

I think it was 2 girls 1 guy. With Freja being the city girl and Lara the country girl, but hey both ways is fine by me ha ha :lol:

Just bragging, this is an autograph by Karl when I met him in person years ago. He was a nice gentleman :heart:

o0ti4x.jpg

this is interesting how the ad campain for winter anticipated the summer collection....

this show captures everything i loved about the ad campaign and more. i love the idea of sexuality inserted into a brand as staid as chanel. i love the notion of rich women -- and baptiste, of course -- dressing up and playing poor. does this not, in a notion, sum up what many TRULY rich women have done throughout this crisis -- with the stuffing shopping bags in black plastic in shame, trunk sales at their friends apartments so they won't be seen shopping and all?

also, i just love that in the midst of the futurism and the nomadic and the gladiators and all of those trends, we have chanel marching to the beat of its own drummer. it's following the trends it sets with its OWN ad campaign! and, karl, genius that he is, still gives us an avant silhouette, and to make the old chanel basics -- catnip for his core customer -- fresh and new again.

finally, is there anything more ironical than lily allen singing country? seriously.

Agree 100% ^_^:flower:

I don't understand why people are swooning over this collection. It really is all a bit farcicle. Besides, it reminds me of when Dolce&Gabbana did the whole farm-chic thing, and if I must say so, they did it much better.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how this is a decent collection. 80% of it is in bad taste (clogs, straw on bags, ironic tatoos, etc) and the other 20% is nothing new or particularly exciting.

And what irks me most of all is the lack of criticism. Will anyone ever criticize a Chanel collection? I swear, I had never read a bad review of his work. Journalists and editors seem to praise his work unconditionally. Why can't someone for once be honest about the kistchy aspects of his work?

I'm completely with you. The worst kitsch parade here of raffia baskets, straw, flowers, milkmaid costumes are celebrated here and everywhere whereas Pilati gets crucified in 100 of posts and legions of reviews for showing ONE, I repeat, ONE skirt with strawberries, while the entire body of the YSL collection is studiously ignored....defies logic. The only one who actually pointed out the Kaiser actually has no clothes is Guy Trebay who described this show as “Hee-Haw” meets “Emmanuelle.”

It's also sad that the titillating trivia, is it a "threesome"? is it Trianon? etc. occupy the dialogue, and truth of the matter is that this is simply a collection of not very interesting, oft-repeated expensive frocks that doesn't do a thing to contribute in any way to fashion's way forward.

I loved loved loved love like, 90% of this collection, especially the leg tattoos and the detailed embellishments, but the minute I see somebody walking down the street in those clogs, I'm making them take them off so I can beat them with them.

^ Yeah- I like the different set and the silliness- looked like a very fun show to be in or attend- but after looking at the videos and the HQs, there are also some seriously beautiful Chanels here...almost overlooked in all the excitement! :wink:
I agree absolutely :heart::heart::heart:

I loved loved loved love like, 90% of this collection, especially the leg tattoos and the detailed embellishments, but the minute I see somebody walking down the street in those clogs, I'm making them take them off so I can beat them with them.
:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll hooked on this Lily Allen song!! Playing the video on YouTube over and over again!! :blush: And am I correct that they had some old Rolling Stones on when the show first started!!?? :woot:

I can't think of anyone less "Chanel" than Lily Allen. It has absolutely nothing to do with her, she's totally devoid of grace.

Of course Chanel knows exactly what it did when it picked Lily Allen. I gotta give it to Karl Lagerfeld, this is the ultimate chutzpah in the face of the economy, to slyly reference Trianon. The outrage of Marie Antoinette's time is of course the peasants were in reality dying of starvation on their farms, taxed to support her lavish lifestyle, leading to the storming of the Bastille. Karl Lagerfeld knows perfectly well that should the "proles" storm Rue Cambon today in a crazed frenzy, it is probably to hand over their hard-earned cash at a once-in-a-decade Chanel Sale. The adulation is complete. So let them eat cake, with Double C frostings.

This season's collections all over Paris are revealing *a lot* to me.

^ A brilliant analysis!! ^_^ I too, would be there to storm the Rue Cambon, except that all of my money is committed to buying the new Chanel sports car... B)

Merci Boomer...^_^

Lily Allen completes the irony I just described of course.

Merci Boomer...^_^

Lily Allen completes the irony I just described of course.

I still did not understood you.:huh: Are you saying that Chanel needs to appeal to the "plebes"to use your expression that's why it uses Lily Allen? I always though that the last thing Chanel needed was to inspire the "plebes", like Burberry found out at their own cost, if and when the "plebes" have any money Chanel will always the first designer shop they will stop in Paris. So it seems counterproductive.

I still did not understood you.:huh: Are you saying that Chanel needs to appeal to the "plebes"to use your expression that's why it uses Lily Allen? I always though that the last thing Chanel needed was to inspire the "plebes", like Burberry found out at their own cost, if and when the "plebes" have any money Chanel will always the first designer shop they will stop in Paris. So it seems counterproductive.

Sigh. I'm not trying to be enigmatic here...think Marie Antoinette, decadent, rich b*tch, beheaded, think Evita Peron, decadent rich b*tch, ADORED. Think what is the difference. Did Chanel have to come down to the level of the proles? Of course not. It has to stay regal, dreamy, classy, eternally admired, pretty and white as cake frosting, like those models, what Stam, Sasha, Lily Donaldson, but it has to shake "the people's hands" so to speak, aristocratically aloof but NOT alienating, never. So the people, rich and especially the middle and poor, happily hand over their cash. This is why I said it's chutzpah - the truth is of course Evita Peron is no different from Marie Antoinette, and KL is dangerously toying with making the truth a bit more explicit, he is *that* cocky and confident in the magic he's woven. Karl Lagerfeld's (and all those designer houses that try to emulate him) genius is walking this tightrope and keeping this Myth alive, is all. It's no small feat, I might add. But there's no fashion history to be made here.

I'll hooked on this Lily Allen song!! Playing the video on YouTube over and over again!! :blush: And am I correct that they had some old Rolling Stones on when the show first started!!?? :woot:

there's whistling in the music... very cute. is that part of Lily Allen's song? if so, that's the part i like the most :heart: someone posted a video earlier and it was repeating over and over... the youtube user deleted it though

I really don't like the shoes or handbags, a little too straw and cows for me, and I really can't tell if if Lilly Allen singing is a good or a bad thing... it's quite cute I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->