Chanel S/S 11 Paris

from the LA Times...

Oh Mr. Lagerfeld, just when I think a Chanel show can't get any better, you come along and surprise me again.
The spring Chanel show for Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday morning was spectacular, one of those once-in-a-lifetime fashion experiences, with a quaint French-garden setting and a full orchestra, all under the soaring glass roof of the Grand Palais.
When the first look came out -- a black coat riddled with holes, and the models' eyes were nearly blacked out with smoky makeup, I thought we were in for something dark and stormy, perhaps even another punk moment, of which there have been several this week.

But that was just the prelude to a spring awakening of pastel tweeds. Tunics or soft, three-quarter-sleeve jackets, some trimmed in floral print, topped short skirts in matching shades of blossom pink, sunshine yellow or salt 'n' pepper tweed. (For a bit of a Jackie O look.)
But there were also plenty of long skirts in keeping with the spring trend, one in a rose print with a smocked waist and others in dark, sheer layers, worn with belted jackets or sweaters.

For evening, a white cocktail dress with black embroidery brought to mind an ornate iron gate. Another dress, covered in peach-colored feathers, turned model Carmen Kass into a graceful bird. But there was also a little black dress for everyone--both long and short lengths--with sheer overlayers, jet-black feathers and embroidery.
As always, Lagerfeld included plenty of novelties aimed at the "Gossip Girl" set, including boucle cutoff shorts, paint-dappled gray jeans and jeweled or logo-ed barrettes fastened to the models' sleek ponytails.
But this show was for all ages, which Lagerfeld made sure were represented on his runway, from a toddler to the fiftysomething model Inès de la Fressange. It was as if he were saying, "We are all one big happy Chanel family."
And when the orchestra broke into "Bittersweet Symphony" and Lagerfeld took his victory lap around the runway, he did look for all the world like the patriarch of Paris fashion.

-- Booth Moore in Paris

LOVED THIS COLLECTION!!!
So many great, fabulous looks! Karl did very well with this collection

omg can't way for the hq's. chanel is always worth watching in hq, or live of course

Was I the only one that thought of Leigh Lezark the whole time? Seriously, the make up, the styling- everything just SCREAMED her name to me.

It's a pretty cool collection; the one thing I'll give Chanel is that, for better or for worse, they'll probably start a few big trends (gray nail polish, anyone?). Prepare to see gawky chunky wedges everywhere six months from now.

I find it hard to comment on a Chanel collection as they are all so samey IMO, but the feathered dresses and pieces are really good. Of course the fedora/parasol is inspired and I really didn't want to have to mention the shoes......but there is no getting away from it.....Atrocious.

Some is amazing, some are not. The ones in posts 3 & 5 look like a bad crafts project, but most of it is actually good, and a few are just breathtaking!

Loved it. Thank god Chanel doesn't do minimalism. I so sick of it now.
I do agree that those shoes are horrible though.
Need to go look at the details now.

Oh wow! Amazing collection! I adore it! Just i really hate the shoes :S But i love those boots! Great job! Those with the boots were my fave!

I think this really has to be my favourite collection. Ever. I don't think there are any words out there to describe how much I love this, but I'll try anyways.

Everything was so grand and immensely perfect down the very last detail. It was bursting with effortless beauty I do think I will be fantasizing about this collection for quite some time. Everything was there that I had always wanted to see in a collection, but much more as well. Simple elegance. A fantastical vision. Brilliant creativity. Unparalleled artistry. This is the work of a true genius.

Beautiful. Love the feather pieces. I personally don't really mind the shoes. I don't love them, but I don't find them hideous by any means.

I think this really has to be my favourite collection. Ever. I don't think there are any words out there to describe how much I love this, but I'll try anyways.

Everything was so grand and immensely perfect down the very last detail. It was bursting with effortless beauty I do think I will be fantasizing about this collection for quite some time. Everything was there that I had always wanted to see in a collection, but much more as well. Simple elegance. A fantastical vision. Brilliant creativity. Unparalleled artistry. This is the work of a true genius.

I think we were looking at two different collections...:flower:

I thought it was a huge letdown. The last few spring collections have been beautiful but this one didn't speak to me. Maybe I didn't understand the inspiration, it just wasn't as beautiful as some of the last few collections. It was somewhat dull, to be honest.

Gorgeous ^

Loved this collection! Which I didn't really expect.

I think we were looking at two different collections...:flower:

I thought it was a huge letdown. The last few spring collections have been beautiful but this one didn't speak to me. Maybe I didn't understand the inspiration, it just wasn't as beautiful as some of the last few collections. It was somewhat dull, to be honest.

I did like the previous few s/s collections as well, but not the way I liked this one. The previous ones were a bit more "out there" and had more added features, and that type of thing, but more "stuff" does not always equate to more beauty or more creativity. In this collection, Karl created something unique and beautiful with more smoothness and subtlety. IMO, this collection embodied what the brand, Chanel, stood for as a whole, rather than a theme or stylistic inspiration on his mind.

12498583.jpg

The Cut

the pink feathered dress on Carmen Kass is truly something to behold. just such an extraordinary creation. something to pass down from generation to generation. how amazing would you feel while wearing that gown? like a gorgeous bird. just magnificent!

It's a beautiful collection, totally Chanel, except from the shoes- gosh, I wouldn't wear them even if they were Chanel:(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->