Alexander McQueen S/S 2012 Paris

it's true that the spirit is gone and we cannot get it back, that there will never be anyone comparable to lee and his vision, but i believe sarah is doing an impressive job with SUCH a weighty task, as well as anyone could expect. i miss the darkness and the edge, but i have faith that it will come in time to her as she has not been disappointing yet.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! she is a completely different woman with a completely different aesthetic...plus....she is the opposite sex so she is bound to think and dress women differently.

If she was trying too hard to be McQueen she would get the same amount of negativity as she is getting now, saying she is not being herself, trying to imitate Lee.

She isnt him. He is gone. We have her. She is great.

amen to that. the collection was amazing and her best yet

i love it:heart:

I love how she can use florals and lace without making it look sugary sweet or completely ridiculous. She should teach the designers at Valentino how to do this :innocent:

I feel like this is the 3rd season in a row the collection looked the same. It's different kinda, but the same vibe. It's getting super boring, which the line never used to be.

Why is everyone saying this looks like seasons before? Have any of you stopped to look at the whole collection?

Considering Burton was thrust into this position and I imagine had little or no intent on helming the design house of someone like McQueen this is easily one of the best collections of all four capitals. Whilst I'll be the first to raise my hand and say it doesn't make my heart flutter as a true mcqueen collection would, nothing else this season has either.

She is doing the next best possible thing to actually being mcqueen and I am so pleased this relationship is working out.

Even though I can completely understand where some of you are coming from (those that have noted the repetition and continuation throughout Burton's collections), but one can't deny that this is beauty at it's finest. The craftsmanship, the artistry, the innovation in some of those pieces. It's such a spectacle.. I was incredibly interested to see what she would do this season, and she just never fails to impress. Her understanding of the pattern, of fabrics, this woman is an absolute visionary. I love how she has continued the McQueen legacy.. her best collection yet in my opinion.

Why is everyone saying this looks like seasons before? Have any of you stopped to look at the whole collection?

Considering Burton was thrust into this position and I imagine had little or no intent on helming the design house of someone like McQueen this is easily one of the best collections of all four capitals. Whilst I'll be the first to raise my hand and say it doesn't make my heart flutter as a true mcqueen collection would, nothing else this season has either.

She is doing the next best possible thing to actually being mcqueen and I am so pleased this relationship is working out.

Well said!

I also thought Sarah did a great job with taking over McQueen. But the thing is, I feel like she's not taking it further. Every collection she's done since Lee's death seems to follow the same rules and I feel like that's not what the McQueen brand is supposed to be about.
I'm not impressed by this collection at all, sadly. It's too safe and I'm really bored by seeing these tiered and ruffled dresses and gowns every season, and I almost get a Valentino vibe from some of those looks :ninja:

You said it all.

The people that "don't like this" either:

a) Misses Lee Alexander McQueen
or
b) This just isn't their aesthetic

YES the collection is beautiful, but I see no soul. Alexander McQueen (the brand) used to be exciting and fascinating, but with Sarah Burton "Alexander McQueen" is becoming a one-note brand. It's obviously good for selling. It's just that I don't see "art for art's sake" in McQueen anymore. Being a true artist (like Lee McQueen) means pushing boundaries and delving into stuff the artist isn't familiar with (as Lee always used to do... which is why every season he'd show us something different).

If you take away the tiny "dark" elements (ie. the masks) in this collection it would be nothing more than something you'd see at Valentino or dare I even say Marchesa. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. But I just feel like it dilutes the name of the original Alexander McQueen. Which is inevitable because Lee was one of a kind.

So I DO like the collection, but I just can't help but feel sad for the sake of art.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because she's only 3 seasons in and you can already see a pattern in her work? Or perhaps formula is a better word.

She loves an elongated hourglass shape with a very defined waist - oftentimes with a belt of some kind and a kicked out hem. She loves gowns with structured, elongated bodices that explode out into parade float-like skirts. She loves clipped tulle for her evening gowns. She loves a strong shoulder in a 40s vein, dropped hems, lace...I could go on, but what's the point.

I've really liked what she's done for her three pre-collections, but her runway stuff leaves a lot to be desired. I mean what is her aversion to pants?

It's beyond me how anyone could call this boring. The details are incredible! Valentino has nothing on this collection.

I also thought Sarah did a great job with taking over McQueen. But the thing is, I feel like she's not taking it further. Every collection she's done since Lee's death seems to follow the same rules and I feel like that's not what the McQueen brand is supposed to be about.
I'm not impressed by this collection at all, sadly. It's too safe and I'm really bored by seeing these tiered and ruffled dresses and gowns every season, and I almost get a Valentino vibe from some of those looks :ninja:

This is a really good point. She is doing well, but she is not changing it up enough, if that is the right phrase to use here. McQueen did something different every season, really, but it always felt like him, even when he did a more toned down collection (e.g. S/S 06). This doesn't really feel like it has any of his essence, and that is okay, but when you're doing the same thing too many times AND it doesn't feel very authentic, it's just not a recipe for success.

And honestly, I don't even find the dresses to be that beautiful, especially the ones at the end! I just don't like them at all really. The beginning is great and some of the middle though.

Well the silhouettes are the same and there isn't a lot of variety, I think I'm moved by the theatricality and beauty in this. I love the fabrics, the lace, the colors, the craftsmanship, everything. This hasn't been the most wow-worthy season, I feel like we haven't had one of those in a while, but I adore this.

I agree with everyone else though, she is not Lee, and she never will be. But I love what she's been doing I don't think anyone else could have done as good of a job stepping up to where she is now.

I thought this was stunning. As everyone else has said, the detail is beautiful. No it's not Lee because she isn't Lee and if this is what we're getting instead than I'm fine with that. She was taught well and the legacy is still alive and well for all to see. Besides, after 'that dress' I'm sure she was aware perhaps more eyes that usual were going to be on her too.

Alexander McQueen | Spring Summer 2012 | Full Fashion Show | Exclusive on You Tube

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! she is a completely different woman with a completely different aesthetic...plus....she is the opposite sex so she is bound to think and dress women differently.

If she was trying too hard to be McQueen she would get the same amount of negativity as she is getting now, saying she is not being herself, trying to imitate Lee.

She isnt him. He is gone. We have her. She is great.

Totally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->