Christian Dior Cruise 2022 Athens

This is so commercial that it makes total sense for why Dior's sales are doing so well. This is just consumer stuff, clothes that are accessible but with no meaning or emotion behind them. This is all very sad for a brand as iconic as Dior...the day MGC leaves is the day that hopefully Dior can regain its prestige, class and creativity.

How did the audience even get to see these clothes?!?
Seriously!! Travel all the way to Greece just to see a bunch of fuzzy white silhouettes going around a track.

and then she went straight for the wet look technique from Margiela Artisanal collection.
Literally so obvious. There are unlimited ideas out there and she had to do wet look dresses right now... Odd behavior

The theatrics are pretty cool though, just wish the clothes delivered.

It's the sneakers with these bad white gowns. It's truly sending me.

Look 20, that alabaster coat is probably the best thing she's ever done.

It's true that he wanted to show his collection next to the ruins but this makes me sad that Karl didn't had the opportunity to show his resort collection on site.

This is maybe her worst collection. I think that when you do a collection on location, you kinda needs to be slightly directional, maybe timeless, a bit entertaining. Resort collections are supposed to be commercial. You can get away with logos, t-shirts or even sweats...But there are ways to elevate it.

This looks like a trunk show in a very expensive set. Considering the amount of money spent on it, it's not worth it.

NO ONE had any good expectations about this and we were not disappointed.

it’s just mediocre. the first part is so juvenile and those harnesses are a joke. the fitting is terrible and those prints… won’t even bother to watch the video.

someone wake me up when she’s gone.

The opening of the show is strong with its sportswear take on the peplos dress and the athleticization of Ancient Greek dress, alongside the white tailored pieces which are exquisite with the traditional Greek embroidery.

The sportswear portion of the show in the middle is horrendous, but considering this is what people buy these days and what sells, I can completely understand the reasoning behind including this in the show. Let's be honest, these pieces are not part of Chiuri's authentic design aesthetic (it's obvious from her time at Valentino, her early Dior collections, and her Couture collections), but because of the pressure from the top, and I know this for a fact, she has been told to include it in her collections.

Let's not forget, she has a certain responsibility to herself, her family, and to the millions of employees working for Dior; the product has to sell, and sell extraordinarily well in order to justify the expenses and to generate profit. What I respect about Chiuri is that she is willing to adapt her aesthetic to the times we live in wherein unfortunately there is a demand for casual and commercial clothes at that price point. People would rather buy a printed nylon parka with "Christian Dior" splashed across the front than buy the iconic bar jacket, which I remind you is at the same price.

Personally I would rather wear any of her tailored looks than something from the Galliano period, which was far too trashy and eccentric for my taste.

Whoever that woman was on the stage who had her hands up pretty much summed up my mood throughout the collection. I felt her pain, “Why, oh why! When will it stop!” She appeared to be saying. There were many “oof” moments I caught myself saying during the show. From the prints, to the sportswear, and even the styling was just so amateur.

I just can’t believe this was from one collection. In her defense, I wouldn’t characterize her as a bad designer. I truly feel like she just tries way, way to hard. Her efforts are awash each collection because there is little to no focus. Also, how can you make a bias cut look so dull? I understand the Galliano reference and being a JG fan I have no issue with the attempt, but wow those were tough to look at. Someone made a comment about the ill fitting of the dresses. I wouldn’t necessarily say they looked sloppy. Dior has one of if not the best atelier in the world and wouldn’t send out a product that was not up to house standards. Rather, it was the cutting of the fabric and other design details that made it bad. Take look 81 (I think) for example. Those straps are off and as a result throws off the structure of the neckline. And please, sneakers with those gowns? I saw BryanBoy post on Twitter it was “modern”. Modern!?!? There is nothing lasting or even slightly contemporary about that style. And please, save me the “I design for the comfort of women everywhere” speech. That is profoundly ugly and embarrassing for Dior. Even the cheeky start at the bottom of the shoe, obviously a reference to Christian, was just tacky.

MGC can design. IMO, her Fall Winter 2017 collection was her finest work. It was well received and deservedly so. Though, her time at the house is so exasperated by this inflow of press that is almost as artificial as this collection was.

MGC can design. IMO, her Fall Winter 2017 collection was her finest work. It was well received and deservedly so. Though, her time at the house is so exasperated by this inflow of press that is almost as artificial as this collection was.

This reminded me, interestingly, the first few collections were styled by Karl Templer, who in my opinion is far superior to the stylist they are using now, who insists on putting gumboots and sneakers with everything. Templer and Chiuri are a winning combination, because he really elevates her aesthetic, and it looks polished and refined. Dior should really get him back.

The shows he styled are below for reference. Autumn Winter 2017, RTW and Couture, are gorgeous!
Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 11.20.14 am.png

KarlTempler.com/Shows/

This reminded me, interestingly, the first few collections were styled by Karl Templer, who in my opinion is far superior to the stylist they are using now, who insists on putting gumboots and sneakers with everything. Templer and Chiuri are a winning combination, because he really elevates her aesthetic, and it looks polished and refined. Dior should really get him back.

The shows he styled are below for reference. Autumn Winter 2017, RTW and Couture, are gorgeous!
View attachment 1176742

KarlTempler.com/Shows/

Oh thank you for that reference. I appreciate it! As we all know styling can really make or break a collection. The images you posted above reflect this entirely. Her pieces are good, not amazing, but standard luxury that is feminine and classy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Whoever that woman was on the stage who had her hands up pretty much summed up my mood throughout the collection. I felt her pain, “Why, oh why! When will it stop!” She appeared to be saying. There were many “oof” moments I caught myself saying during the show. From the prints, to the sportswear, and even the styling was just so amateur.

I just can’t believe this was from one collection. In her defense, I wouldn’t characterize her as a bad designer. I truly feel like she just tries way, way to hard. Her efforts are awash each collection because there is little to no focus. Also, how can you make a bias cut look so dull? I understand the Galliano reference and being a JG fan I have no issue with the attempt, but wow those were tough to look at. Someone made a comment about the ill fitting of the dresses. I wouldn’t necessarily say they looked sloppy. Dior has one of if not the best atelier in the world and wouldn’t send out a product that was not up to house standards. Rather, it was the cutting of the fabric and other design details that made it bad. Take look 81 (I think) for example. Those straps are off and as a result throws off the structure of the neckline. And please, sneakers with those gowns? I saw BryanBoy post on Twitter it was “modern”. Modern!?!? There is nothing lasting or even slightly contemporary about that style. And please, save me the “I design for the comfort of women everywhere” speech. That is profoundly ugly and embarrassing for Dior. Even the cheeky start at the bottom of the shoe, obviously a reference to Christian, was just tacky.

The earlier stuff from Galliano at Dior and even the stuff he did during that period when Carla Bruni was the First Lady was quite fabulous in it conservative nature…

Seriously, no commercial reasons justify for mediocrity in designs. Her aesthetic is very accessible in a way…So, her RTW has a very easy to wear nature that I can appreciate.
Except for his take on the bar suit, I hated Raf’s work for Dior so the arrival of MGC made me expect great things because tbh, what they did for Valentino (while repetitive) was great and consistent. And more than that, they had a clear understanding of their clientele, of a luxury clientele and on the challenges of luxury today.

I don’t see that in her Dior and this has nothing to do with the suits. Yes, they expect a commercial success…Rightfully so because Dior is the number 2 brand of the group and her Dior is successful. I just find her vision for Dior lackluster.

I’m not a Dior woman at all so in a way I don’t expect to watch a Dior show to have a coup de coeur and want to buy something (In this past decade I’ve bought 4 Dior items and the paradox it was that it was under Raf) but I think fashion needs to be something else than pure merchandise…

Her Dior, unlike her Valentino (and it’s the same for Pierpaolo now that he is solo) feels very merchandise-ish.

Only her second Couture collection gave a feeling of HF.

It’s so CRINGE!!

These fashion houses are clueless. I cannot even believe that any self respecting designer would show “fashion sneakers” styled with a gown…has that not been “the look” for what…the past decade??? Decade and a half? How can you be there in a design office and be like…let’s do a draped Grecian dress and then to make it contemporary, she’ll be in an ugly tennis shoe! AH-HA! GENIUS!

It’s so insanely trite and pedestrian…like WOW mixing a dress and sneakers! It’s sport! It’s modern! It’s a “woman on the go!”

I mean I feel like Mugatu!!! Am I taking crazy pills?! WTF is going on?!

It’d be embarrassing if it weren’t so tragic.

I like the first and last sections of the collection. The sportswear part I can do without because I don't like expensive sportswear. I like the first look, the leather fencing tops and the swan dress, it's look fun and really well executed.

I think the sneakers styling is justify here, because they're on a running track so it's more comfortable for the models to walk the entire stadium in sneakers rather let them struggle with high heels during the catwalk.

christian-dior-spring-2001-couture-028-hedvig-marie-maigre.jpg

I'm just going to elevate this thread by leaving this gem.

Maria really needs to up her game. ELEVATE. Be provocative, a headline-maker. You can still sell.

^^ Will all due respect, that look is atrocious and hilarious at the same time. I've seen more elegant "Grecian" design aesthetics in the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.

I digress. I don't understand why there is so much hate toward Maria Grazia on this forum. As much as I love Galliano, most of what he designed was light years away from Monsieur Dior's aesthetic. And when he did pay tribute to the archives, it was in the most gaudy, vulgar, and camp way. His vision for Dior was seductive through its theatricality and spectacle, but his taste was inherently opposite to Christian Dior, let's be honest.

Maria Grazia's designs (particularly at Haute Couture) are authentic in their reverence for the archives and history of Dior. If you know the archives of Dior (Saint-Laurent, Bohan, Ferre included) well, you will be able to see the link.

^^ Will all due respect, that look is atrocious and hilarious at the same time. I've seen more elegant "Grecian" design aesthetics in the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie.

I digress. I don't understand why there is so much hate toward Maria Grazia on this forum. As much as I love Galliano, most of what he designed was light years away from Monsieur Dior's aesthetic. And when he did pay tribute to the archives, it was in the most gaudy, vulgar, and camp way. His vision for Dior was seductive through its theatricality and spectacle, but his taste was inherently opposite to Christian Dior, let's be honest.

Maria Grazia's designs (particularly at Haute Couture) are authentic in their reverence for the archives and history of Dior. If you know the archives of Dior (Saint-Laurent, Bohan, Ferre included) well, you will be able to see the link.
I actually beg to differ re: the "Spirit of Dior."

I think Galliano was closer to the House Spirit than any designer after Christian, himself. All anyone ever talks about when referencing or recalling the history of Christian Dior is the shocking excess and controversy of the New Look. In the context of the time, the design was over-the-top, controversial, excessive and in your face. Europe was war torn and had lived through years of rationing and destruction...and then out came Dior, with full-blown femininity and extreme glamour.

In that respect, I've always felt that's why Galliano's tenure at Dior was so spectacular and perfect...he embodied that same spirit and did what was shocking, glamorous, over-the-top, controversial and unabashedly feminine for the 90's and early 00's, the way M. Dior did it for the 1940's.

Years later, the New Look became so ubiquitous that it's shock value has worn off completely and for us, with 2021 eyes, it looks rather conservative and bourgeois. So while designers like MGC may send out endless Bar jackets and full circle skirts, it's really just copying the Dior archives, not embodying them. It's unimaginative and uninspiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
limonjuices
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->