Christian Dior S/S 2000 Paris

This show would probably be considered problematic today, but as a black man, I f*ck with it SO MUCH.

I'll try to upload the runway shots ASAP.

Thank god I got hands on the skirts cut on the biais from this collection at a time when there wasn’t a frenzy for Vintage!

I have always hated John’s sections though.

‘One thing that I have always found amusing about it was that it was inspired by Lauryn Hill and yet it didn’t looked like something she would wear.

‘Ironically, John became in love with Foxy Brown who incarnated quite well his vision. It’s also very Mary J Blige in retrospective but not Lauryn Hill at all lol.

9.5/10

Glorious. What a short show. But very concise and tight in the proposition.

the opening spiraling skirts were just heaven. Not a single miss. The shorts with boots are a look The first white section didnt need to be here but i get the idea. The second segment of black and white with the midi dresses and flat boots were a vision. The spiraling starry finale gowns are amazing. The gowns before that were also amazing. That silver gown with the coiling spiraling bias is the standout from a glorious collection.

Last edited:
The sectioning makes sense in a theatrical point of view, like volumes, acts or chapters, but they were often too abrupt of a change when going into the next "act".

I can never fully sit through watching Dior Fall 2005 and 2006 Couture shows because the start/stop gets annoying and makes things less seamless. Turns it into a visual (and musical) playlist as opposed to a collection.

‘One thing that I have always found amusing about it was that it was inspired by Lauryn Hill and yet it didn’t looked like something she would wear.
The sectioning makes sense in a theatrical point of view, like volumes, acts or chapters, but they were often too abrupt of a change when going into the next "act".

I can never fully sit through watching Dior Fall 2005 and 2006 Couture shows because the start/stop gets annoying and makes things less seamless. Turns it into a visual (and musical) playlist as opposed to a collection.
The concept of runway shows having visual "acts" is quite cool, considering Galliano's background is theatre production.

That said, having the show stop and start every five minutes is emotionally exhausting, because the opening and closing looks are supposed to be the most important. Audiovisual shifts as the models walk does the job more seamlessly. Fall'99 Couture and Fall'03 Couture pulled it off extremely well.

I feel that the concept of split shows was better executed in Vaccarello's early shows for YSL, which were also by Betak. The collection would be shown in two parts, with the first part being longer than the second, before skipping the final lap that usual happens at the end. Spring'19 is a perfect example of that:
I miss that "quirk" in his shows, even though they should've ended at 60 looks, instead of the 90+ he used to show.

For me the sections killed the vibes of his collections. His work was stronger when there was a gradual reach to the climax. The drastic changes sometimes highlighted the costumey aspect of his work.

When you look at FW HC 05 and 06, weirdly the best parts where the wearable silhouettes instead of the OTT silhouettes and other extravaganza.

For me the middle section in this SS2000 was so weird because obviously it was a take on the Couture and then the last section felt more like an evolution of the very directional first part.

The concept of runway shows having visual "acts" is quite cool, considering Galliano's background is theatre production.

That said, having the show stop and start every five minutes is emotionally exhausting, because the opening and closing looks are supposed to be the most important. Audiovisual shifts as the models walk does the job more seamlessly. Fall'99 Couture and Fall'03 Couture pulled it off extremely well.

I feel that the concept of split shows was better executed in Vaccarello's early shows for YSL, which were also by Betak. The collection would be shown in two parts, with the first part being longer than the second, before skipping the final lap that usual happens at the end. Spring'19 is a perfect example of that:
I miss that "quirk" in his shows, even though they should've ended at 60 looks, instead of the 90+ he used to show.

Tom Ford for example has done sections at Gucci. But it was always the same message all along. Even if he put swimsuits or underwear in the middle of the collection, it never cut the flow of the collection. Plus he had a lot of models changes.

But when you see his own line, he always had daywear and then the eveningwear section.

‘What was frustrating about John is that you wished sections were more developed in a way. When you got so much imagination, the sky is a limit…
Look at what he did with the SS RTW 2006 collection. From that little section in the Couture, he did a whole collection. Fabulous!

For me the sections killed the vibes of his collections. His work was stronger when there was a gradual reach to the climax. The drastic changes sometimes highlighted the costumey aspect of his work.

[...]

For me the middle section in this SS2000 was so weird because obviously it was a take on the Couture and then the last section felt more like an evolution of the very directional first part.
That makes sense, while the middle section was my favourite (Galliano doing "minimalism" does something to me), it doesn't make sense in the whole picture.

His previous show, Fall'99 Couture, suffers from the stark sectioning too. He starts with this series of black, yellow and red Matrix inspired looks, then we hit nº14 with hunting inspired looks and taxidermy. Nº26 and 27 are a duo of historical military uniforms and from nº28, we have a series of Asian (Russian? Indian?) gowns and jewellery. We hit nº38 and it's back to the Matrix.

It makes me wonder if that's a common "quirk" for his Givenchy/early Dior years, but I wouldn't be able to tell since there's too many missing shows in that era to come to a definite conclusion. I sincerely hope that Dior considers publishing a video archive from Ferré onwards.

When you look at FW HC 05 and 06, weirdly the best parts where the wearable silhouettes instead of the OTT silhouettes and other extravaganza.

[...]

‘What was frustrating about John is that you wished sections were more developed in a way. When you got so much imagination, the sky is a limit…

Look at what he did with the SS RTW 2006 collection. From that little section in the Couture, he did a whole collection. Fabulous!
Dior Spring'06 was definitely one of Galliano's best. It's proof that he could pull off "pretty and commercial" without giving something banal and listless. Very few other designers (McQueen, Westwood, Yohji, Margiela, maybe Vandervorst, Theyskens and Ackermann too) can pull off both the conceptual and the wearable with equal dignity and care.

Christian Dior Spring 2000 Dress — Nina Gabbana Vintage - $2200

ISIMG-839957.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

ISIMG-841479.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->