Costume Institute Gala 2011 : Alexander McQueen : Savage Beauty

I too hope NOT to see so many "tacky" celebs. McQueen isn't for everyone :/

So everyone's gonna be wearing McQueen?
I don't know how this year will work, but usually a designer brings a date or two (a model, actress or socialite) and s/he dresses the date in their creations. My two cents is that most designers disregard the theme and end up dressing their muses in stuff from their latest collection and call it a day, or at best try to find something in their latest collection or archives that somewhat fits the theme. I find this boring and frustrating, especially considering that the CFDAs Awards and the Met Gala are scheduled are within a few weeks of each other. My biggest wish is that the designers take the theme to heart and for at least one of their muses, the designers custom design something that is McQueen inspired in the most savage and spectacular sense of the word.

There are also a lot of unattached guests, Anna Wintour, et. al. and no doubt they will actually be wearing McQueen designs.

^ Yes, you're right. But this is the case under normal circumstances, but when the entire ceremony is dedicated to McQueen what's the outcome? While it would be cool to see his outfits worn (and I can't wait to see his creations from older seasons) I don't want his work to be worn and forgotten.

^ And she's pulling one of her slouchy poses and completely destroy everything.

^ Yes, you're right. But this is the case under normal circumstances, but when the entire ceremony is dedicated to McQueen what's the outcome? While it would be cool to see his outfits worn (and I can't wait to see his creations from older seasons) I don't want his work to be worn and forgotten.
So what do you want, for the attendees to wear McQueen or not wear McQueen? Also, they have done designer themes before, in recent years they have done Paul Poiret and Chanel.

^ :lol: I didn't mean it like that. I'd love to see McQueen's pieces worn, especially his older work.

I can't help but think of Alaia and how Anna W seems to reject him any attention while McQueen receives an entire ceremony. I dunno, I don't really have anything against either of them I suppose.

the actual exhibit will be something to behold no doubt. the red carpet on the other hand...that could go ether way.

I would love to see that.

The man was a genius and deserves to be recognized.

As Billy Joel said, only the good die young.:(

oh, I am most definitely visiting new york next summer for many reasons, most of all this! I was only considering it before, now I'm going for sure :smile::heart:

I can't wait to see the red-carpet :buzz: I just hope they won't invite too many tacky celebs :unsure:

in the end, the costume institute gala remains a fundraiser and as with any fundraisers, celebrities of ANY stripe increase the amount of press coverage which in turn translates into more interest/donations. there exist people in this world who will shell out up to $250k for a table -- russian oligarchs, hedge-funders, young society types, et al -- just to hobnob with some of the very celebrities some deem as tacky.

OMG my move to NYC came at the right time! I'm dying of impatience! I'm very interested in seeing who is able to pull of certain McQueen pieces...oh dear lord help me as i'm about to have a fashiongasm just thinking about this!

The Book Alexander McQueen : Savage Beauty will be released on the 30th April

Savage Beauty

SAMANTHA CAMERON and Anna Wintour gathered London's fashion press at the Ritz this morning - the site of Alexander McQueen's first post-graduate show - to unveil Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, the exhibition to be held at the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute; which will be launched by this year's Met Ball on May 2.
"When I heard from Anna Wintour that the Costume Institute's major annual exhibition would explore the artistry of Alexander McQueen, I was thrilled by this recognition of British fashion," Cameron said. "I'm sure that the party on the second of May will be a very, very special night."
Thomas P Campbell, director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Andrew Bolton, the Costume Institute's curator, both spoke at length about McQueen's contribution to the fashion world - as well as his standing as an artist in his own right.
"McQueen's work fits easily in the discourse of art. He can be considered no less than a great artist," Campbell said, before thanking Anna Wintour for helping make the exhibition possible thanks to her "spirit and brilliance".
"We drew on the McQueen archive in London and are indebted to McQueen's so-workers and colleagues for their willingness to share their memories of him," Bolton said. "Especially Stella McCartney, whose friendship with McQueen makes her an ideal co-chair for the Costume Institute Ball, and Sarah Burton, who gave a valuable insight in to McQueen's design process over the past 14 years."
Stella McCartney and Sarah Burton joined Wintour, Cameron, Campbell and Bolton at this morning's launch, flanked by some of McQueen's most impressive creations. The exhibition will run from May 4 to July 31, 2011, and will features pieces from all of McQueen's collections - from Nihilism in 1994, to his posthumous Angels & Demons collection in 2010. The McQueen tartan, the Kate Moss hologram and cabinets of McQueen "curiosities" will be highlights of an exhibition whose scale aims to come close to the genius of the man himself.
*Amazon.co.uk & Vogue.co.uk

I need that book!
I can't even describe the shots above with words so a book with lots of them will be out of this world.

Man, I'd fly to NYC just to see that exhibit if I had the time and money. Hopefully I'll be able to get the book somehow: those photographs look amazing. I love the mannequins they used!

The mannequins come alive with those beautiful clothes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
modeket
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->