Damn these coldsores !

starlite

Reaction score
I'm so stink'n frustrated with getting these coldsores around my mouth!:angry:

Why why me?!!!....

And the worst part is, is that i'm leaving for the States in 5 days to attend a family wedding...just great!

It's not one tiny coldsores either, it's like a tiny cluster of them right above my upper lip.:cry:

I know it's because I'm stressed out...but I have so much going on right now, and can't help stressing.

Thing is, I had avoided getting one for almost three years straight, until we moved here to hong kong. Now I've gotten 4 this year alone!

And I'm very careful about washing my hands/face alot, & not touching my face to much.

I've tried every over-the-counter coldsore medicine they have out there....so far the one that works best for me is Zilactin-L.
Stings a bit, but I know it's working.

Any of you guys have the same problem? What are you using?

And why do I keep getting these damn things?!....I've had to endure these since I was a child.

Out of all six people in my family, the only one that gets them (& not that often) is my Dad ...then there's me.:(

Could coldsores (or officially, herpes simplex) be hereditary?

starlite said:
Could coldsores (or officially, herpes simplex) be hereditary?

I don't know if it's hereditary, but I have read that about 80 to 90 % of all people harbor the herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores, but it's possible to have the virus and never experience an outbreak.

Your doctor knows best how to deal with coldsores - if you are curious as to alternative ways of dealing with it you can check : http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/coldsores.htm :flower: Good Luck I hope the sores disappear by the time you have to go to the wedding !

^yes, I've read that too..

I also get them sometimes... only thing that works for me is Zovirax ..have you tried that?

apple cider vinegar is also supposed to help..

Thank for the link Hanne...yeah I think I've heard about others having the virus, but never having a breakout (lucky folks!)
Yeah thks, I hope they are cleared by the time I go to the wedding too. We'll see...

therese
I have tried Zovirax, and it's fine, but what works fastest for me seems to be Zilactin-L.

Normally I just leave them be, and medicate them 3-4 times a day. This time though (to spead up the healing) i'm ever so gently opening the tiny sores & putting the medicine on them. It's seems to be working ...well in the sense that they seem to be drying out pretty quickly.

I know there are injections you can get at the dermo that make zits go away in a day or two, maybe they make something similar for cold sores too?

I used to get them a lot but since I started taking L-lysine (an amino acid) I haven't had them in years and if I do get on it will go away within a day with an extra does of l-lysine

I've gotten a few over the years, they're so irritating..but my doctor gave me a supply of valtrex to hold onto so that whenever I see the first sign I can just start taking the pills. Try looking into having a stash to keep on you at all times. =)

i don't get cold sores
but my Doctor friend (Pediatrician) said his mum used to use....
.... er get this....
her own EAR-WAX

yes folks
ear-wax !!
:blink:

he said it made sense b/c ear-wax has anti-whatever properties (antiseptic? antibacterial? antiviral?) to protect us from nasties getting into our ear/nose/throat system via our ears.

if this stuff does work, then of course i recommend applying your own - sometimes sharing just shouldn't be done.
^_^

erm okay but seriously, i'd look into some serious herbal stuff... maybe with anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. i'm going to suppose that the following may work (not mixed together:( Goldenseal root powder (i'd mix it with shea butter or almond oil - warning - it tastes icky so don't lick!) or Lavender oil perhaps. Maybe Calendula as well, and perhaps mixing Tea Tree Oil with a carrier oil.

good luck... especially if you go with the wax option.
ha ha

Well thks for the suggestions...I'll may try something different next time.

Unfortunately I still have the darn thing, and my flight leaves in 3 hrs!! Wedding on Sat. so maybe it'll slowly fade over the next couple of days...at least enough to cover with makeup. Right now it's just crusty & healing slowly :(

My doctor told me that most people get it as kids, kids are always touching things /putting things in their mouthes/getting kissed by a gazillion adults...and then it never shows up until later on when you're a.) stressed about something or b.) exposed to extreme weather (she said really hot temperatures) for a long period of time. The last coldsore I got was in the summer (I work on a ropes course..and it's 100 degrees eassssy in the summer. So maybe keep those two things in mind for prevention =)

Cold Sore Help!

I woke up this morning with a big cold sore on my lip and I wanted to know what the best product is to get rid of it fast! :(

thanks!!!!

I have an allergy to oranges and get them. I know how much it sucks. One of the best things I have used is ice. Whenever I feel one coming on, I start icing my lip. (Make sure you take breaks from the ice, or it will make your lip too cold). I also use Zilactin, but the icing seems to keep it from getting too bad. Hope this helps

When I get really chapped lips or coldsore I always rely on Blistex stuff in a blue pot. It works wonders!

At what stage do you ice it? While it's still beneath the skin or after the sore has broken? And will it halt the development of the thing entirely or simply delay the actual sore? At the moment, I have a red bump that would like very much to become a hideous sore and eventually leave marks that will damage my self esteem for years to come.

I took one Airborne tablet, sipped two teabags worth of echinacea, and am drinking as much water as possible in order to boost my immune system. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

I've also heard that cold sores can be caused by a deficiency in lysine, so maybe try taking supplements.

I used to get LOADS of cold-sores, they are the worst thing ever. People would always think I was wearing lip-liner :sick: :furious:

They were mostly caused by STRESS for me. Get some Zovirax or Blistex SOON!

^Yeah, I read up a little on lysine. I'm going to look into that some more. I used to use Zovirax and didn't think it did much. At the moment Abreva works the best for me---I just get stressed out when they show up in areas I haven't had them before.

I used to get LOADS of cold-sores, they are the worst thing ever. People would always think I was wearing lip-liner :sick: :furious:

They were mostly caused by STRESS for me. Get some Zovirax or Blistex SOON!
yeah I was going to say Zovirax as well :flower:

Thanks for all the tips everyone...I am just getting one for the first time in my LIFE!!!! (23 yrs old) What a sad, sad day AND a week before my works Christmas party. Gonna get some Zovirax later on today and stay positive!!!

I've been taking L-Lysine as a preventative measure and it's supposed to be good for your skin in general. I can't really say that the supplement is making my skin better for sure because I just started using a new serum also (and it could be that), but there's definitely a difference.

Make sure you wash your hands as often as possible---and do not touch the coldsore! Having used prescription Zovirax, I still think OTC Abreva works the best when used correctly, but I'm sure that either will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->