Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Chanel Says It ‘Deeply Regrets’ Boomerang Controversy
The house was responding to the heated debate that erupted after U.S. makeup artist Jeffree Star posted a photo of the item on social media.

By Joelle Diderich on May 16, 2017

Chanel on Tuesday responded to a controversy about producing a high-priced boomerang featuring the brand’s signature logo after some people criticized it as an appropriation of Australian Aboriginal culture.

“Chanel is extremely committed to respecting all cultures, and deeply regrets that some may have felt offended,” the brand said in a statement.

Social media erupted with negative comments after Jeffree Star, a U.S. makeup artist with 4.7 million followers on Instagram, posted an image of the item with the caption: “Having so much fun with my new #Chanel boomerang .” The post drew close to 156,000 likes, and generated heAn image from Jeffree Star's Instagram.
An image from Jeffree Star’s Instagram. Jeffree Starated debate.

LINK TO IMAGE: https://pmcwwd.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/screen-shot-2017-05-16-at-16-48-09.png?w=921&h=598

Some commenters pointed out the boomerang was originally not a toy but was used for hunting in Australia, adding that the Chanel version was offensive. Others questioned Star for spending money on the item, which on Chanel’s web site is priced at 1,260 euros, or $1,360.

Many defended the makeup artist, saying boomerangs were widely used for outdoor activities and he was entitled to purchase what he liked.

Nayuka Gorrie, an Aboriginal writer and activist, tweeted an image of the boomerang with the caption: “When I think about Aboriginal culture, I think @chanel.” She then followed with: “Have decided to save for the next three years so I can connect with my culture via @chanel.”

Chanel said the item was one of several sports accessories offered as part of its spring collection, alongside tennis rackets, a stand-up paddle, beach rackets and balls.

“The inspiration was taken from leisure activities from other parts of the world and it was not our intention to disrespect the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and the significance of the boomerang as a cultural object,” it said.

Source: http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...eeply-regrets-boomerang-controversy-10888494/

----

^^OMG this insanity must end.

Seems as though most people these days are professionally offended. Certainly seems like a full time job!

Agree. You can buy a boomerang from any manufacturer with their logo stamped right on it. Where's the outcry for those?

^^OMG this insanity must end.

Seems as though most people these days are professionally offended. Certainly seems like a full time job!

If I was Chanel I would create a whole collection and send one to that writer. Hell, I might even create a gold plated Boomerang with the Chanel logo in diamonds. :evil:

I can see both sides of the argument for the Chanel boomerang saga. Some people consider it a deep part of their tradition and are offended that indigenous artists weren't brought onboard to design or collaborate on it. On the other hand, walk down Swanston Street in Melbourne or Circular Quay in Sydney and you can buy manufactured boomerangs EVERYWHERE that all have MADE IN CHINA on them.

But the thing that baffles me the most is literally WHY would anyone spend that amount of money on a Chanel boomerang??? A boomerang is a hunting tool. This Jeffrey Star person looks like he's never even thought about the idea of going out into the wild and hunting his own food. What's he doing with it???

If you're going to buy an ornamental boomerang at least buy one by an indigenous artist. Not some crappy bland Chanel one.

A boomerang is a hunting tool. This Jeffrey Star person looks like he's never even thought about the idea of going out into the wild and hunting his own food. What's he doing with it???

I've seen a lot of kids play with boomerangs - I guess it's the thrill of throwing it and seeing it come back to you? So definitely not used only for hunting in today's world, even though it was conceived as a weapon at the time.

As for the price point, it's really ridiculous. But then again, it could have been a gift for all we know.

I don't understand this controversy.
Boomerang has been in the Chanel Sports collection for over a decade now. If some people can and want to afford it, good for them.

I'm really irritated by this "everything is offending" thing thanks to social media.
Cultural appropriation is really an overused word!

I can see both sides of the argument for the Chanel boomerang saga. Some people consider it a deep part of their tradition and are offended that indigenous artists weren't brought onboard to design or collaborate on it. On the other hand, walk down Swanston Street in Melbourne or Circular Quay in Sydney and you can buy manufactured boomerangs EVERYWHERE that all have MADE IN CHINA on them.

But the thing that baffles me the most is literally WHY would anyone spend that amount of money on a Chanel boomerang??? A boomerang is a hunting tool. This Jeffrey Star person looks like he's never even thought about the idea of going out into the wild and hunting his own food. What's he doing with it???

If you're going to buy an ornamental boomerang at least buy one by an indigenous artist. Not some crappy bland Chanel one.

Exactly, I can vouch for the same in Perth and Adelaide, so I don't see how that is even different.

Also have to state my ignorance here by saying that I have lived in Australia for 22 out of my 24 years and this is the first time I have ever heard that boomerangs are used for hunting.

It really baffles me that people have money to waste on this type of thing. What utility could they possibly derive from it?

Really? I seem to understand the boomerang was a hunting tool, a weapon, and still is. But its use has also developed into recreational purposes. I imagine it's like a slingshot or archery with their historical roots vs their uses today.

Sorry to throw it back to the Chen Man piece but could not get past this gem, "When I shoot celebrities, I make them look better. So for most of the top-of-the-line celebrities, I became the top choice." i love how confident she is, but it's so outrageously cocky to say! For someone who's only shot major international celebs for Grazia China, a weekly, it's safe to say she's not exactly Annie Leibovitz yet...

The boomerang thing is tricky, whilst i think people jump on the cultural appropriation bandwagon a lot these days, there is something to be said about the boomerang being sacred to indigenous australians. At the same time, boomerangs also existed in ancient Egypt and other countries, so in that sense it's not necessarily exclusive to Australian indigenous culture.

Chen Man can stand that place imo, she actually is more experienced than Mert & Marcus. Just because for the longest time she only works in Beijing, it's hard for publishers outside of China to work with.

Sorry to throw it back to the Chen Man piece but could not get past this gem, "When I shoot celebrities, I make them look better. So for most of the top-of-the-line celebrities, I became the top choice." i love how confident she is, but it's so outrageously cocky to say! For someone who's only shot major international celebs for Grazia China, a weekly, it's safe to say she's not exactly Annie Leibovitz yet...

The boomerang thing is tricky, whilst i think people jump on the cultural appropriation bandwagon a lot these days, there is something to be said about the boomerang being sacred to indigenous australians. At the same time, boomerangs also existed in ancient Egypt and other countries, so in that sense it's not necessarily exclusive to Australian indigenous culture.

Just learned something new today ! Many kids play with them, I did when I was a kid.
We all had one at one point in our lives. People are just outraged because it's expensive and it's easy to criticize a brand who will, maybe, make money out of it. There is no cultural appropriation. People get offended so easily for NOTHING, it's enraging. There are more important issues happening in the world, especially this week after the terrorist attack in Manchester ...

Just learned something new today ! Many kids play with them, I did when I was a kid.
We all had one at one point in our lives. People are just outraged because it's expensive and it's easy to criticize a brand who will, maybe, make money out of it. There is no cultural appropriation. People get offended so easily for NOTHING, it's enraging. There are more important issues happening in the world, especially this week after the terrorist attack in Manchester ...

They want the attention plain and simple. All you need is one viral post to have your measly 15 minutes of online fame. It's pathetic really. Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly more common. People just need to get a life. They are obviously not Chanel's target customer, so why do they care? Do something more useful with your time please!

Ugh, Stefano Gabbana's Insta page is one big obnoxious mess!! His posts look like that of the many model fanatic members during the early years of TFS. It's basically an endless abuse of emojis, throwing 'haters' around left right and centre, and downright troll-like speak. Truly shocked!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still lmao at him thinking he and Domenico invented the column heel, calling out Chanel, then getting called out for ripping off Viv Westwood a few weeks ago. Let me guess this time it has to do with Melanoma Trump...

They want the attention plain and simple. All you need is one viral post to have your measly 15 minutes of online fame. It's pathetic really. Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly more common. People just need to get a life. They are obviously not Chanel's target customer, so why do they care? Do something more useful with your time please!

Right ?! They just do that so they can appear on buzzed etc.
Commenting about it here is helping them win :doh:

So apparently Maria Grazia Chiuri dumped Marion Cotillard from Dior, leaving her to find a last minute dress for Cannes because she wants younger faces? What a class act..

So apparently Maria Grazia Chiuri dumped Marion Cotillard from Dior, leaving her to find a last minute dress for Cannes because she wants younger faces? What a class act..

If that is true, she has to be be one of the most ignorant people working in the industry (and that says something!) with her "feminists" t-shirts.
But to be really honest, Marion is better off without Dior. I LOVED seeing her wear Raf x Dior, but I'm glad we haven't have to see her in Maria's Dior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->