Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    In France, we are pretty much aware of how Dangerous Trump is/can be. We saw the intrusion of some his people in our politics...

I’m not just surprised by this move from Arnault because it’s the kind of move I’ve been used to see in the corporate world....

I’ve learned that when big money is involved, there’s no feeling or emotion unfortunately. It’s quite cynical...

Look at all the money that the fashion industry makes in some very homophobic, xenophobic or racist countries. You see gay designers going to the Middle East or anywhere else, organizing events and partying with Regimes that kills or are very repressive of people like them.

Just to say that things like that, like what Arnault did, makes me so uncomfortable and even angry. But it’s sad that it’s easier to call out Trump than any other president...Ultimately, Americans can get rid of Trump...Unlike what’s going on in others countries.

readings and RedSmokeRise like this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

You'd think they'd be more concerned about that rather than rushing off to strike up a deal with a cowboy (in the metaphorical sense!). Then again, their silence when everyone was shouting and screaming at Macron Antoinette spoke volumes.

I'm not at all surprised that Virgil is keeping mum. He has already shown his true colours a while ago, why would he protect the interests of others. Racism is only his talking point when it affects him personally. I don't think his fanbase will be compromised because of this. MCG or Rihanna's could be because they're been positioned as role models and fed into that.
    And that's also the reason why Nicolas' post seems earnest to me. He's not hopping on a bandwagon, he's already proven that he cares about the trans cause.

Lola701 likes this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Studio 54 co-founder Ian Schrager says Michael Kors is lying about his disco memories

By Ian Mohr

October 8, 2019 | 6:37pm

A Studio 54 feud has erupted in 2019.

Studio 54 co-founder Ian Schrager has slammed fashion designer Michael Kors for reminiscing about the legendary 1970s disco in a new Interview Magazine story. Schrager’s accused Kors of being a disco poseur.

For its 50th anniversary issue, Interview Magazine had “fashion royalty” Kors and former Vogue editor Andre Leon Talley “reminisce about their wild nights at Studio 54, the inspiration for Kors’ latest collection.”

Recalls Kors of the club: “Everyone was having sex in the balcony. The most shocking thing, when you think about it, is that… A lot of people were so high on quaaludes that you would see them fall down the stairs and go directly onto the dance floor, and not even consider that they had just fallen down two flights of steps. People were rubber.”

But when Interview promoted the story on Instagram this week, Schrager posted a fiery comment that said: “I don’t believe Michael Kors was ever at Studio 54. I certainly don’t remember him as he made no impression.

“This is nothing more than an obvious exploitation by a garment center person to sell some clothes that has nothing to do with Studio or what it was about.” Ouch.

The comment ended with “Ian Schrager” but came from the verified account of Schrager’s Public Hotels brand. Schrager — who co-founded the club with Steve Rubell and participated in a revealing documentary, “Studio 54,” last year — no longer owns the brand. MGM acquired the Studio 54 name and trademark in the US in 1997 to launch a Las Vegas version of the club, while Kors struck a deal to license the name and logo with MGM Resorts International and licensing company Venturesome. Additional recent Studio 54 brand collaborations have included a Sirius XM channel, and an exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum scheduled for next year.

Kors claims in the piece, “Instead of going to my high school prom, I went to Studio 54. When I walked in, I thought, ‘I’m Dorothy and this is Oz.’” He added of using the club as inspiration for his latest line: “I always loved the logo. I have the invitation from opening night.” (Kors’ new clothes indeed include logoed gear such as a “Studio 54 Glitter Print Cashmere Sleeveless T-Shirt” for $690, and a “Studio 54 Cotton Long-Sleeve T-Shirt” for $490.)

Kors countered he never met Schrager — he was a high school and college kid at the time. The designer told us, when reached for comment: “I started going to Studio 54 during the summer of 1977 as a suburban Long Island kid and continued to go when I moved into Manhattan late that summer as a student at FIT. My friends and I were young students, not celebrities. We were never in a VIP room and did not meet Ian or Steve. From my experience, the most amazing thing about Studio 54 was the mix of people, from struggling students out to have a great time to the rich and famous. My collection celebrates that magical moment that I have so many fabulous memories of.”

A rep for Schrager did not immediately comment.

Page Six

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Harper's Bazaar Australia defends 'racist' cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16:39, Nov 05 2019

Harper's Bazaar Australia is defending the cover of its December issue after a backlash from angry fans over its choice of models.

The cover features four young, thin, white models and one young, thin, light-skinned indigenous model under the tagline "A celebration of Australian beauty".

Hundreds of followers of the Harper's Bazaar Instagram account commented on the post, with some labelling the lack of diversity "appalling" and "racist".
    "Where are the aboriginal models? This is appalling @diet_prada please repost this it's f...ing gross #racist #fashion," one follower wrote.

A New Zealand follower wrote that she was tired of the "same old white privileged tone deaf narrative".

"The fact that your entire staff and everyone on this shoot failed to point out, notice or acknowledge how uncomfortably inaccurate this portrayal of 'Australian beauty' is in 2019 blows my mind. It's scary how tone deaf this cover is in a time when women around the world are literally celebrating diversity in all its beautiful colours, shapes and sizes."

Another questioned where all the models were who weren't white: "How lovely, the pristine white girls on the white sands. Honestly this is 2019 where is the diversity?"

In a short statement to Stuff, Bauer Media and Harper's Bazaar acknowledged the importance of diversity and reflecting the many ethnicities that form Australia's identity.

"The December cover features some of the country's most talented models including Charlee Fraser, who is a proud Aboriginal woman," the statement said.

The issue was a conservation and sustainability special. The aim of the cover story was to celebrate the Australian environment and the fragile beauty of the Whitsundays where it was shot, they said.

"Harper's Bazaar is strongly committed to diversity and will continue to look for ways to enhance the way it tells stories that portray and resonate with people of different ethnicities, shapes, sizes and abilities."

They showed diversity, they said, in recent features including Asian model Qian Li, LGBTQ musician Troye Sivan, Muslim designer Anjilla Seddequi and body diversity campaigner Ashley Graham.

Stuff New Zealand/Harper's Bazaar Australia Digital Edition

5. theBlueRider

theBlueRider Member

One of those models isn't even Australian.

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Really? Which one....

7. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Also a terribly timed cover with Gemma having the poor sense to attend the Melbourne Cup later that week as a guest of Bumble when literally every other Australian celebrity avoided it (this year it was especially controversial as there was a big expose a couple weeks ago about the abuse of racehorses in slaughterhouses.) She was definitely getting a lot of backlash in her comments for appearing on that cover pretending to care about the environment and animals while at the same time taking a sponsored role no one else wanted for the $$.

8. Will Ross

Will Ross Member

Does anyone find it weird Carlos tells people he 1st assisted joe for 6 years but in reality it was way less than that? Also word is he’s already out at helmut lang.

4125FF3E-18EC-4002-9CC0-9D2DA3929CCD.jpeg

Benn98 likes this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sarah Christie, fashion editor, via The Mail:

I was there when an animal rights activist shoved a pie in Anna Wintour's face. It was outside the Chloe show in Paris in 2005.

I was with colleagues when we became aware of a commotion and there was Anna, all alone and dripping in cream pie. As a lowly fashion editor, I was terrified of her. We all stood there staring, rooted to the spot, until Marie Claire's executive fashion director Elizabeth Walker marched forward pulling a packet of wet wipes (in a Prada tissue case) from her Gucci handbag. Not a word was said as she helped Anna clean herself up, but two days later Elizabeth received a bouquet of flowers with a note from Anna to say thank you.

What an unfortunate turn of phrase! :ermm:

dsamg, Littleathquakes, Nomar and 3 others like this.
  10. perfect blue

perfect blue Active Member

Not sure where to post this as I am still kind of new to TFS.

Apparently the Belgian fashion designer Josephus Thimister died this morning of suicide.

Rest in peace

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Redemption: Versace to Sponsor Beijing-Endorsed Film Festival

Top Chinese actors are expected to be dressed by the brand at the award ceremony, which clashes with the Taipei Golden Horse film festival.

By Tianwei Zhang on November 13, 2019

DAMAGE CONTROL: Versace is trying to improve its relationship with Beijing by sponsoring the 28th edition of the Chinese government-endorsed Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers film festival, three months after Versace lost brand ambassador Yang Mi and ignited Chinese ire over sovereignty by mislabeling Hong Kong and the disputed region of Taiwan as separate countries.

The Italian fashion brand will be the only appointed clothing brand for this year’s festival, which is the Chinese equivalent of the Golden Globe Awards. The event will take place in Xiamen, which is located on the other side of Taiwan strait, from Nov. 19 to Nov. 23. Many of China’s top actors are expected to be dressed by the brand for the red carpet and award ceremony.

“Versace will accompany the film festival and filmmakers with its uniquely thought-out and colorful fashion,” the brand said.

The sponsorship was revealed at a time when the Chinese authorities are boycotting the Taipei Golden Horse film festival, which will be held on Nov. 23 in Taipei, after Fu Yue, who won the best documentary award last year, expressed her pro-independence political views on stage. The award is considered one of the highest honors for filmmakers in Asia, but no films from mainland China participated this year and no one will be attending from mainland China.

Fashion brands that ran afoul of China’s political viewpoints have been coming up with creative ways to amend the relationship. Dior played “Me and Beloved Country,” a classic patriotic song, at the Shanghai repeat show after party. Givenchy gave out 70 limited-edition red T-shirts to its followers for free. The T-shirt was specially designed and signed by Clare Waight Keller and numbered from one to 70, celebrating the 70th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China on Oct. 1.

Coach invited four Chinese celebrities to praise their motherland in front of the local press at the second edition of the China International Import Expo, while Dolce & Gabbana showcased a dozen pictures of the management traveling through Beijing, Shanghai and Xi’an and meeting with local government officials.

It’s still early to tell if these measures have helped the brands win back Chinese consumers, but the government’s attitude toward them has softened, from accusing them of having “ignited the Chinese people’s righteous indignation,” and having “made their brands’ prospects in the Chinese market bleak,” to including them in top-level diplomatic and entertainment functions.

WWD

12. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

You dirty bird! LOL It took me a whole 3 seconds to realize what you had bolded.

Nymphaea likes this.
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist. :rofl:
    I find it incredible that Sarah could be so utterly clueless, not realising that her words could be easily misconstrued. Not even sure why a Brit would use 'cream pie' instead of 'cream tart' to begin with - the former is not common over here. The word, I mean. Lol.

14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Francois-Henri Pinault talks social responsibility in WWD, or rather, cherry-picked social responsibilities. It stinks. It stinks that the woman who bore his child 'out of wedlock' had to seek financial support through a court of law and that his team subsequently counter-argued said support rate, all the while the 'legitimate' child with his ' feminist actress' wife lives in the lap of luxury. This man get's to position himself as some sort of moral compass? :sick:

Anyway, what I'm getting from this is 'we'll take a stand on anything which doesn't affect our bottom line' - see China/Honk Kong unrest:

TAKING A STAND: Companies have a responsibility to take a public stance on topics such as gender inequality, Kering chairman and chief executive officer François-Henri Pinault told the annual Women’s Forum meeting in Paris on Wednesday.

The luxury boss credited his wife, Mexican actress Salma Hayek, for sensitizing him to the issue of violence against women by introducing him to playwright Eve Ensler, the author of “The Vagina Monologues,” at the beginning of their relationship.

The couple have been vocal champions of women’s issues through their work with the Kering Foundation, which aims to combat violence against women, and the Women in Motion initiative, a precursor of the #MeToo movement. Launched in Cannes in 2015, the program hopes to shed light on women’s contribution to film.

“Companies in the 21st century, we need to have a sense of purpose that goes much beyond our business goals as part of the strategy of the company, as part of the culture of the company, and we shouldn’t be afraid as companies, as leaders, to take bold public positions on certain very important societal topics,” Pinault told presenter Star Jones at the forum.

For example, he noted that Gucci recently took a position against child marriage through its Chime for Change initiative by partnering with Pakistani director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy on an animated short film, “Sitara,” about a young girl whose dream of being a pilot is crushed when she is forced into child marriage.

Last year, Gucci donated $500,000 to the March for Our Lives rally, a student-led demonstration in support of legislation to prevent gun violence in the U.S., he added.

“So let’s not be afraid of doing that. That’s the right thing to do. We have to be sincere when we do that. Let’s do that for our own people, but also for the community. It’s just a matter of endorsing our responsibilities toward all the communities we’re interacting with,” Pinault argued.

Kering has also taken steps to redress its missteps. Following allegations that models were mistreated at a casting for one of its brands, the group — which owns labels including Saint Laurent, Bottega Veneta and Balenciaga — set up a charter with rival LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton to guarantee the well-being of models.

Meanwhile, Gucci has launched a series of initiatives to achieve cultural diversity and awareness throughout its organization and activities globally, following accusations that a Gucci balaclava-style sweater evoked blackface.

Pinault said senior executives at all of its brands follow compulsory training programs on how to detect signs of domestic violence, and its programs extend to all corners of the globe.

“We have a very specific and operational program on sexual harassment on campuses in America, for instance. We’ve been working on traditional, harmful sexual practices like excision in Western Europe, in France in particular,” he said. “Domestic violence in China is a very big deal for us.”

While Kering was one of the first companies to address gender discrimination in the film industry, Pinault said it was only the beginning.

“There’s still a lot to be done. Let’s say the wall of silence has been broken, thanks to #MeToo. Let’s hope that this will end the impunity that was almost the rule in that field, but more importantly, let’s hope that this will end up in laws in different countries, but that are enforced,” he said. “I hope that we will come to that.”

WWD

15. Lola701

^^
    It’s all pointless or pure PR to do or prevent damage control. Pinault is the fashion exec I have the least respect for...

Why would he do against domestic violence in China? Nothing! Because nobody wants to mess up their relationship with the Chinese government.

It’s all pure business and marketing. Addressing things through films or donations doesn’t mean anything. I’m even surprised that they didn’t launched a program to raise awareness about mental health after the recent Gucci show.

Benn98 likes this.
  16. Will Ross

Will Ross Member

Who copied who, seems weird someone like Bruno who has been around much longer would reference Tyler especially since Tyler is about as surface level as they come in regards to talent and depth.

6EBA24FC-C464-464B-88A4-520CEDF74E2D.jpeg 8326AF2D-1F81-4D30-96E8-1354016A8BE8.jpeg

Phuel likes this.
  17. Lola701

^^
    The Jacquemus Lookbook was released in January 2019 and Tyler photos were released later for JWA.

Phuel and Will Ross like this.
  18. Will Ross

Will Ross Member

Figured, another sad sign of the times and the laziness/pure plagerism/lack of depth of the new “it” photogs. So sick of it.

Benn98 likes this.
  19. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

(I like Tyler’s version better LOL Much much much more striking and charming than Bruno's.)

In this industry, everyone’s guilty of stealing from someone. Sometimes some talents do it better than the OG versions… These days, not so much. Tyler was in the right place at the right time where PC gimmicks/tokenism/identity politics trumps genuine talent and original creativity. I’m not mad at him for snatching those opportunities (by association with Beyonce): He’s simply a product of these shallow hyped days.

I always got the impression Tyler's entire repository of “creative” concepts came from watching Eryka’s video “On and On” by Paul Hunter and Janet’s “Got ’Til It’s Gone” by Mark Romanek. Whereas the social and political references by those creatives were never the selling point-- these days, someone like Tyler has to make the social politics the selling point for the lack of creativity.

tapenerd, Lola701 and Will Ross like this.
  20. Will Ross

Will Ross Member

I’m just wondering when relying on identity/social gimmicks will run out for him and the others that all work with the same Instagram filter click bait feel. They aren’t even deep or at times accurate with the identity/social politics they rely so heavy on. Not to mention they’re knowledge of photography (lighting, retouching, conceptualizing, the works) is so baseline it’s insulting to the art form itself.