Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Her response is one huge NOPE.
credit: ulyanasergeenko on instagram

“IDK about you guys but i like to use the n-word because i’m so cool, just like Kanye XD!! And sorry... only to those I offended. Hehe I don’t see color”

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I hadn't seen her response. She really doesn't sound like the quickest bunny in the forest. :( (Also, what does her half Armenian daughter have to do with it?)

Are you saying that people in other countries don't understand that that word is hateful? Genuinely curious. I just can't imagine that.

I'm not from a former UdSSR country, so I can't speak for her obviously.
And just as a disclaimer, I think with a certain amount of mastery of the English language and general education, everybody should be able to understand it's a derogatory word.

What I'm saying is that many European countries, especially Eastern and Middle European countries, historically don't have a huge amount of black population. In fact, it is close to zero. I just googled the percentage of Blacks in Poland (just as a random example for an Eastern European country with historically little immigration).
This is from Wikipedia:

There are also nationality groups of Americans (in 2002: 1,541 of whom 992 had Polish citizenship), Britons, Turks (232, including 74 Polish citizens), Hungarians (579, including 228 Polish citizens), French (2002: 1,633 including 1,068 Polish citizens), Italians (1,367 including 835 Polish citizens), Serbs, Croats, Bulgarians (1,112, including 404 Polish citizens), Romanians, Georgians, Africans, Palestinians (229 including 146 Polish citizens), other Arabs, Kurds, Bengali, Scandinavians, Chechens and Vietnamese, who constitute small ethnic communities within major cities such as Warsaw, Kraków, and Gdańsk. And various ethnic groups from the whole world like Zulus (92, including 52 Polish citizens), Kurds (91 including 62 Polish citizens), African-Americans (80, including 37 Polish citizens), Flemings (23, including 10 Polish citizens) etc.

The numbers refer to a census in 2002, they have likely gone up a bit, but still. We're talking about the absolute number of people. 80 African-Americans, 92 Zulus...
Here's another number for 2011:

At the 2011 census, 1,44% of the 39 million inhabitants of Poland declared to be descendents of another single ancestry than Polish.That number includes 418,000 who declared to be Silesians as a national-ethnic identification (362,000 as single ethnicity and 391,000 a second ethnicity) and 17,000 Kashubians (16,000 as single ethnicity).

Even in countries with a higher population of POC like Germany, there are still extremely few in comparison to the US. Of course that doesn't give anybody the right to complete ignorance. But the whole discourse, the impact of the Black Lives Matter movement, also the problematic issues of racial profiling etc., are not NEARLY as present as in the US.

In Germany, there's a sweet that has long been called Negerkuss ("******'s kiss"). The pc word today is Schokokuss ("chocolate kiss"), for obvious reasons. Still there are many people, especially older ones and those on the conservative side of the political spectrum, who don't understand what's wrong with Negerkuss, and they will just continue to use it no matter what. And for some of them (not all, of course), I really believe they genuinely don't understand it.

The word itself is just as bad as in English, and that's what they are told. But it doesn't really come through to them, partly, I believe, because the cultural importance of the word is way different. Until fairly recently, Germany wasn't a country with lots of immigration from African countries. And similar to Poland today, you would have trouble finding a POC on the street. (By the way, even today growing up black in a rural German area will likely mean you're the only POC in your whole school.) What people connect(ed) with the word is a colonial past they don't have much understanding of, and also don't really care about. That's a HUGE difference to the situation in the US.

Once again, that doesn't mean all Middle and Eastern European people should be allowed to walk around yelling the n word. But I think it's important to understand why many of them use the word more naively than an American person probably would.

We had this whole discussion only a few weeks ago:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f63/model-behavior-read-post-1-before-posting-10-a-293643-25.html
(the argument I was referring to starts from #374)

poor woman... I actually think her response is genuine and it's for a global audience, not for US people only with "US US US" in mind. I live in LA.. it's always been interesting how determined people are to subject and judge other countries based on internal issues and they get easily outraged upon learning it's actually very different and some cultures are just sensitive about different things or simply are not composed of the same elements, let alone same sequence of events, what's admirable here is embarrassing elsewhere, same for "offensive" "insensitive". Not long ago someone at work was so upset talking about the lack of racial census in, no kidding I think it was Uruguay, like 'WHERE is their black population?! they NEVER talk about their black people', I didn't even know where to start.. If you live in the US, or in any other country for that matter, it's vital to be responsible, respectful and informing yourself and learning how to stfu about sensitive issues and their history and issues derived from it, but someone overseas.. with Kazakh formation of all places (been there, they couldn't be culturally and geographically further away from the US- when I grabbed a nerve and asked someone if he by any chance spoke English, this guy (in his 20s) laughed and sang some "oh yeah baaaby!..... nyet ruski" :rolleyes::lol:).. you just have to understand they don't really have an agenda or malice or are on a mission to disrupt all the progress the US has made to overcome racial tension... when you live outside the US, you are BOMBARDED with American pop culture and you pick up a lot of things based on whatever sounds trendiest or fun to pronounce and.. who knows what they mean in the US!, it's so strong that most young people really believe they understand American culture based on these exports.. it's always a shock to come and realise you had no idea and that people don't even use some words on a daily basis.. or that things that were exported as "American humor" aren't actually that funny or even important and people laugh about things that you might just never get because you lack cultural foundation...

I get the American outrage when they see others using very American concepts/words so freely but that's the downside of aggressive international marketing.. you'll have people mumbling stuff just because.. it reached there. :meow:

So Miraslava is the one who posted it? With friends like her, do you need enemies? I know it's no laughing matter but I find this bit hilarious:

'I woke up this morning with my phone full of insulting messages....'you deserve the worst in your life' Can only imagine how confused she was if it's true.

Ulyana's just making it worse with the excuses. Just apologise, no need to mention that she listens to Kanye West.

Btw, Sore, I find it interesting that there are only two distinct groups of black people in Poland. African Americans and Zulu's. I'm fairly well travelled across Africa and actually paid attention in class. If my memory serves me correctly, the Zulu people are concentrated within the Southern African region. So what the Poles (or Wiki) are effectively saying is that they have zero Nigerians, Kenyans, Ghanaians, Somali, or Jamaicans? Very interesting.

Correction, I see they do list 'Africans' in the first paragraph, just not the amount or percentage.

I just wish the word can be retired so that nobody use it. We'll always go around circles with this debate.

Are you saying that people in other countries don't understand that that word is hateful? Genuinely curious. I just can't imagine that.

As Mulletproof said " [...] when you live outside the US, you are BOMBARDED with American pop culture and you pick up a lot of things based on whatever sounds trendiest or fun to pronounce and.. who knows what they mean in the US!".

This is for me the real problem. For example, in France the N word is both a racist word but also a word used to describe a ghostwriter.

You'll never see an french artist name one of his song with "our N" word. Most of the time they prefer to use the spanish translation of the word in their lyrics. Because that word is hateful.

I blame those two stupid women as much as i blame Kanye & Jay-Z for making that song, singing it around the world without thinking deeper than that. That word mean something hurtful in any language but to actually suggest it as something cool is bad.

They came to Paris singing that a thousand time in front of a (in majority) white crowd without no second thought.

I must say, her apology is worst than the little note but it sounds genuine. Russian doesn't have the best reputation so, it will be hard to recover from that.

Miroslava’s apology about the Ulyana story was MUCH better worded, but very PR, which was expected. In other news, Bryanboy added subtitles to a transphobic rant she did targeting him, as well as Andreja Pejic:

Yuck. Yuck yuck YUCK.

They are both vile.
The fact that she’ll wear designs by these “weird” people yet voices her disdain for them is appalling.

Oh wow. That was the most disgusting and disrespectful thing I’ve heard all day. The backlash better be strong! Shame on her.

Is "I have a half-Armenian daughter" her version of "I have a black friend"? Don't most Armenian's identify as white? Try harder next time, Ulyana.

Sigh, preserve the straight boy from these 'weird' gay deviants at all cost. Shocked that this is coming from a woman within the fashion industry.

She disabled the comments on her Ulyana apology (which wasn't disabled a few hours ago). She knows about the Bryanboy/Andreja/KimK/Paris video and is choosing not to reply but rather to silence everyone who knows she's just as disgusting as Ulyana herself. :hardhead:

I'll wait for her PR apology 3 days later with the comments disabled served with a side of the victim card :smile:

you just have to understand they don't really have an agenda or malice or are on a mission to disrupt all the progress the US has made to overcome racial tension... when you live outside the US, you are BOMBARDED with American pop culture and you pick up a lot of things based on whatever sounds trendiest or fun to pronounce and.. who knows what they mean in the US!, it's so strong that most young people really believe they understand American culture based on these exports.. it's always a shock to come and realise you had no idea and that people don't even use some words on a daily basis.. or that things that were exported as "American humor" aren't actually that funny or even important and people laugh about things that you might just never get because you lack cultural foundation...

This exactly. Since basically everything is translated into Russian most people don't bother learning English. So they might not know the meaning of the words. Also the common word for a black person in Russian is 'negr' - the non-offensive neutral version, so you can see why many don't even consider that the n-word could be bad - especially since it's in all the cool songs in the charts.

As a matter of fact, in the mid 2000s when the popularity of american hip hop in Russia was peaking it was even cool to call each other that word nad no one knew that it was derogatory. I cringe remembering this.

That being said, that was indeed stupid of Ulyana. She's not a kid in 2004, she's a grown woman in 2018, who has been in international circles long enough to know better - I guess she's just not that smart.

https://garage.vice.com/en_us/article/vbyk3m/ulyana-sergeenko-racism
Following Racist Note, Ulyana Sergeenko Speaks at Her Show: "I’m So Upset That I Spoiled It." It's Not Enough.
Ulyana Sergeenko, the Russian couturier known for her 1940s-style silhouettes and exquisite furs, unexpectedly ended up in the fashion industry’s glare this morning when her friend Miroslava Duma posted the flowers the designer sent on on Instagram stories, revealing a racist note quoting the title of a Kanye West and Jay-Z song.
Twitter, Instagram, and bloggers immediately attacked the designer for her racism. Sergeenko posted an apology on her Instagram, writing, “I am deeply sorry to everyone whom I might have offended,” denying claims that she is racist and adding, “I have certainly learned my lesson and am grateful for it.” She also wrote, “And yes, we call each other the N word sometimes when we want to believe that we are just as cool as these guys who sing it”—an admission that seems almost impossibly ignorant. How Duma, a world traveler and businesswoman, would have found the note appropriate to post in the first place reveals a stunning lack of awareness.

But in the fashion world, which is particularly attuned to racism at the moment, such a mea culpa is not enough. The diffusive end to her note didn’t help matters: “There is enough anger in the world, please, can we stop it here?” (Sergeenko's apology has since been deleted from Instagram.)

At a preview for her show this afternoon, her design partner, Frol Burimskiy, led me through the collection while Sergeenko held back and remained glued to her phone. I had requested the interview, if you can believe it, because I’d been struck by the diversity of the models in Sergeenko’s Fall 2018 show when I was here for Couture week last July, and wanted to speak to her about her casting process.
Unfortunately, Sergeenko decided to hold a presentation instead of a runway show, placing the dresses on mannequins in wings that flanked a tea parlor in which porcelain, specially designed for the occasion by a Russian manufacturer, was displayed in great opulence alongside tea cakes and sweets. Of course, this meant there were no models. As I thanked Sergeenko and Burimskiy for taking me through the collection of exquisite handmade lace and coats appliquéd with pink mink flowers, I asked Sergeenko about what had happened that morning. Tears almost welled in her eyes. “I’m so upset that I spoiled it,” she said of her show.

“With no intention,” Burimskiy chimed in. “It’s surprising. But c’est la vie.”

Unfortunately, c’est is not la vie for much of the world, and Sergeenko’s inability to acknowledge the real harm she caused is extremely troubling—that intentions don’t matter here, and the casual use of a racial slur among friends is entirely wrong. Because Sergeenko’s work is exclusively couture (and a limited run of demi-couture), she is mostly unknown to casual fashion observers outside her major market. A designer who was unfamiliar to the average reader of Teen Vogue or New York Magazine has now sealed a reputation as a racist. As couture week continues to answer for its relevance in a world that prizes social awareness and intelligence above beauty, this kind of incident stings.

credit: rachel tashjian for garage.vice

credit: journalpost
Screenshot-57.png

:rofl:

She is fired/left it already
It was her business project for masses. She speak with russians and said exactly what russian masses want to hear. Same with Kardashian or Hilton, doesn't matter how much they party together if target audience doesn't care or negative towards them

She is fired/left it already
It was her business project for masses. She speak with russians and said exactly what russian masses want to hear. Same with Kardashian or Hilton, doesn't matter how much they party together if target audience doesn't care or negative towards them

Who are you referring to, MagFan?

I'm more concerned about Miroslava's rant to be honest. Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->