Devi Kroell

mmm...i used to want a devi kroell bag...in metallic python (either brown or green)...in the largest size...it's really a gigantic size, but i adore it, it's so perfect for me.....however i've given up that dream. the large python bag used to cost $1995 a couple of months ago and devi's recently increased the price to about $2450!! :angry: i was completely outraged and will not be buying this bag anytime soon. however, i definitely was considering saving up for it when the price was a bit cheaper :(

EDIT: OMG...i checked the website again, and the price has been raised AGAIN!!!! the large is now $2690 :furious: :censored:

Last edited by a moderator:
i kinda have to agree with brian on the pricing thing...i just can't bring myself to buy a bag that, as far as i'm aware, originally was like $500 not too long ago....
it's not like she's with lvmh :rolleyes: i actually saw it on vivre.com right after the holidays for about 995...the large gold one that is :shock:

btw...i've merged this thread with the other existing devi kroell thread... :magic:

meowmix said:
i kinda have to agree with brian on the pricing thing...i just can't bring myself to buy a bag that, as far as i'm aware, originally was like $500 not too long ago....

i completely agree... NOTHING can justify that kind of outlandish markup! :angry:

... i just won't do it...

that's insane and I've sent them an e-mail asking for an explanation. we'll see if they respond.

i'm guessing the REAL reason is the popularity of not only python skins, but also the bag from the celeb exposure...i've never seen anything like this though...i mean, what if they priced chloe paddingtons like this for fw 05? pure greed...
they'll prolly give some bs like the skins are rare blah blah

cla_bl_large.gif

they're making the bags in black python now :cry:
it's so gorgeous...and i've always been wanting one in black python... but i refuse to buy one at that price...there's absolutely no justification for it.

meowmix said:
i'm guessing the REAL reason is the popularity of not only python skins, but also the bag from the celeb exposure...i've never seen anything like this though...i mean, what if they priced chloe paddingtons like this for fw 05? pure greed...
they'll prolly give some bs like the skins are rare blah blah

But Chloe paddingtons might as well be thrown out after a season, the quality is sub-par and they have no longevity whats so ever. I can understand the gripe about a markup, but I don't think it is a fair comparison. When I said that the price increase didn't bother me that much I meant when thinking about what you are getting. The large Kroells used to be cheaper than a medium sized python silverado, which is, while very nice, less-classic and not even 100% python. It just seems more fair for this bag to be more expensive to me, for what you are getting.

I was surprised to see a response from devi kroell -- I thought they would simply ignore me. here you go and take it as you will:

For our classic bag, we only use one specific python species, which is
the only one that allows our special treatment of turning up the scales
to process the underside. This python species is also the one that will
allow the softest bags.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that all of a sudden, everyone else is
doing python, this exact species has become very difficult to obtain,
and even more so, as we need the widest skins available. Unlike other
designers who use many seams in order to save skin, we only utilize the
middle part of the skin, which is the nicest part and the best quality.
The concept of our bags is pure luxury: super wide skins (no other
designer offers skins this wide, it would be twice the price of our bags)
and softness (which is only achieved with the specific species we need).
We could have kept the old price with another python species, but the
quality would not be the same, and our metallization treatment nowhere
as beautiful.

The python prices increased dramatically, and especially for a bag like
ours made of 6 to 7 skins, it does affect the price.

Furthermore, when we first started, we did not have access to the best
factories. There were a few quality issues. Now we work with the best
factories, and our quality is at the same level of all big luxury
companies. This change in factories accounts for a small portion of the price
increase as well.

MJCouture said:
But Chloe paddingtons might as well be thrown out after a season, the quality is sub-par and they have no longevity whats so ever. I can understand the gripe about a markup, but I don't think it is a fair comparison. When I said that the price increase didn't bother me that much I meant when thinking about what you are getting. The large Kroells used to be cheaper than a medium sized python silverado, which is, while very nice, less-classic and not even 100% python. It just seems more fair for this bag to be more expensive to me, for what you are getting.

well you could compare the hefty markup to that of any IT bag right now...i was only making a comparison with an IT bag...that regardless of the quality, if they were going to use popularity as the only justification for such a ridiculous price increase then ANYONE could do that, regardless of the quality. my comparison was not of the quality but of the pricing strategy and i certainly wouldn't be one to disagree about the quality of the paddingtons if you've followed the thread on them
either way, we've gotten our response, thanks meeyowsa! i wonder if those who have seen the before and afters of these bags in person have noticed a marked change in quality...?

There were several posts on the makeupalley board last month of Devi Kroell's falling apart after a few uses. Perhaps these were the "quality issues" Devi referred to in their response. However, even knowing the bags were defective, Devi was less than accomodating to these buyers. So, they had to do a chargeback through their credit cards.

that's a shame. you'd think that a designer and manufacturer would treat their clientele better than having them to CB their purchase.

thanks for that meeyowsa... now i understand what's going on, but i still don't feel like the increase is justified...

i do still want the bag in black, however :ninja:
doubt i'd buy it, though...

meowmix said:
well you could compare the hefty markup to that of any IT bag right now...i was only making a comparison with an IT bag...that regardless of the quality, if they were going to use popularity as the only justification for such a ridiculous price increase then ANYONE could do that, regardless of the quality. my comparison was not of the quality but of the pricing strategy and i certainly wouldn't be one to disagree about the quality of the paddingtons if you've followed the thread on them
either way, we've gotten our response, thanks meeyowsa! i wonder if those who have seen the before and afters of these bags in person have noticed a marked change in quality...?

Now that I understand what you were saying, I actually agree. The price of designer bags is skyrocketing beyond justification, the DK is no exception, I was just trying to say that I thought it was slightly more reasonable than other bags because of what you get for your money. :flower:

I don't know about you guys, but I don't see any quality defects or any other issues. For me, it's really worth the price. :flower:
But, I do hope someday the price would go back down (is that possible?)

I looked at one today in the large hobo style, the snakeskin was beautiful...but i went down to Burberry and saw a light cream snakeskin bag that was much nicer in my opinion.

they dont do much for me, i think its the lack of hardware:innocent:

serenade_ingenue said:
I don't know about you guys, but I don't see any quality defects or any other issues. For me, it's really worth the price. :flower:
But, I do hope someday the price would go back down (is that possible?)

actually, vivre had them on sale last winter. doesn't make any sense to me. on a different note, they will ship to california as long as it's for personal use. go figure.

Devi Kroell classic bag....what size?

HI fellow bagaholics :P
I am very interested in getting the classic devi kroell bag in gold or bronze. My dilemma is that I cannot decide to get the medium or large size. I do love large bags but I have bgeen told it is too large to be an everyday bag. I know I can find out the sizes of the bags but it would really be helpful if I can see pics of ppl wearing the different bag sizes to see what would suit me better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnV
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->