Dior : The Madhouse

PrinceOfCats

Naturellement pulpeuse
Reaction score
Okay...do you think Galliano is any cop? Why is it he can produce such wonderful clothes and then utter trash like DiorSurf? Is this simply a clever business move to pedal trash to the St Tropez crowd while making proper clothes for the real Dior clientele? Is he devaluing the house of Dior? Does Galliano even design some of the total trash seen on his shelves?

I like to think of his talent as having a bipolar quality to it :smile:

He definately has talent, his earlier collections attest to that. However, I think that over the years he's gone a bit overboard. After all, if he can get away with making over-the-top outfits and still make money, he'll do it. As for the insanity thing, all great artists are a touch crazy. :wink:

Honestly I think that Galliano is enormously talented but his ideas for Dior are a little crazy

Originally posted by Nader@Jun 18th, 2004 - 1:33 pm
I like to think of his talent as having a bipolar quality to it :smile:
Interesting way to put it, but I kind of agree with you.

I feel that Galliano has an immense amount of talent and imagination. I guess it comes down to every designer has a bad collection every now and then. For me anyway Galliano is usually good, there's always something I like about his collections, but sometimes (like this fall) he puts out a collection that I don't like or that I feel is kind of beneath him but this is because I expect a certain quality from him, most of the time he delivers, sometimes not so much.....he's only human.

So yeah, I agree with you Nader

Is he devaluing the house of Dior?

Of course not...With what women want today, do you think what Christian Dior designed would sell nearly as well today?...Galliano is good at making a spectacle and then creating something completely wearable and approachable to the consumer...What I do not understand is what makes one of his collections good and one of his collections bad (they all seem to look pretty unwearable to me :flower: ) Case in point:

00010f.jpg

A "horrible and unwearable collection"...

100099393.jpg

....and how is this any better?

Bottom Line: I love what Galliano does, the fashion industry needs designers like him to surprise and intrigue...At the end of the day, Dior sells-period :flower:

too trashy for my cat,
he started up talented but ended as the damaged star of the LVMH circus group, basically he makes me sad :ninja:

I enjoy John Galliano. He is what inspired my interest in fashion from the beggining. Of course sometimes he makes me shake my head (Dior Surf) But his shows unbelievable and you can't deny his incredible talent and ability to execute hsi visions. And you musn't forget his technical ability. Some of his pieces just leave you clueless as to how they were cut.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 18th, 2004 - 3:51 pm
too trashy for my cat,
he started up talented but ended as the damaged star of the LVMH circus group, basically he makes me sad :ninja:
Agreed absolutely , Lena :heart: :heart: :heart:

He's ENORMOUSLY talented , but has let his ' imagination ' run away with him .

Let's NOT forget that LVMH , with DIOR , has gone for the VERSACE , GUCCI , Roberto Cavalli market , and Galliano has run with this over - enthusiastically , as indeed he has NO other choice of doing , as he is the servant of his masters .

Drugs have SOME part to play in this , but I feel that this aspect is kept in check , if only because his years in the wilderness would serve to remind him of what unemployment would entail .

Don't forget also , that as to wearability , Dior is the premiere house for showing completely unwearable ' camp ' clothes which are watered down considerably for what actually goes into the boutiques .

I only wish that his menswear for his eponymous label were given the same treatment !!! But perhaps a few seasons of only moderate showroom sales would see to this .

Galliano really IS self - indulgent , but I feel that it's with the tacit support pf Bernard Arnault , whose backside Galliano is supposed to be at least half-way up !!!

THIS may cast SOME light :-

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/st...1094714,00.html

KIT :innocent:

I remeber reading about his fathers' death just before the f/w 03 couture, but reading about how he hid it so that the show went on mad me sad. Anyway though, I always find it interesting in articles like this how it puts a more human face on these famous designers, you know what I mean? Galliano could be seen as this flamboyant showman, but then you read an article like this and it kind of balances out the famous Galliano with the real Galliano.
I love the way he described that homeless collection he did (a personal favorite). In a strange way, I can see where he's coming from, if not in seeing the beauty of the homeless themselves, then being able to take something not typically beautiful and finding beauty in it.

Well, I'm tired so I can't even remember everything I was gonna say.......I'm out for now.

I think Galliano is immensely talented...but I don't think he's utilizing any of it.

Originally posted by blumarine@Jun 19th, 2004 - 2:33 am
There's no ALL OF THE ABOVE option? :wink:
haha.

i think people are too hard on him. besides...i think his collections grow on everyone after awhile.

if there wasn't that initial shock [mostly of disgust] then you would forget about it. galliano is good at keeping people's attention

Originally posted by loserunit+Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:24 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loserunit @ Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:24 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blumarine@Jun 19th, 2004 - 2:33 am
haha.

i think people are too hard on him. besides...i think his collections grow on everyone after awhile.

if there wasn't that initial shock [mostly of disgust] then you would forget about it. galliano is good at keeping people's attention [/b][/quote]
ditto....

he's talented.
hes trashy
he is shocking.
but that what makes him great...

Originally posted by loserunit+Jun 19th, 2004 - 3:24 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loserunit @ Jun 19th, 2004 - 3:24 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blumarine@Jun 19th, 2004 - 2:33 am
haha.

if there wasn't that initial shock [mostly of disgust] then you would forget about it. galliano is good at keeping people's attention [/b][/quote]
exactly :flower:

If any of the people who voted him a talentless monkey admit to it and say why I promise to protect them from the hordes of Galliano fans :P

Well, the crazyness is what makes Galliano so great. Who would want any plain old fool as a "fashion" designer? You might as well settle for Target or Kmart couture :rolleyes:

We seem to have very diverse poll results... :wink:

His "spectacles" are very interesting, creative and intelligently designed. But the tackiness has got to end. He realizes that America is a label country, but his prostitution of logos (Dior Surf :doh:) is starting to make some consumers think of it as a "trend" and shy from it.

Just my humble opinion. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->