Is John Galliano Wrong for Dior?

^ Only if hell froze over :P

I agree that history is repeating itself though. But in a good way. Raf is doing a fine job of honoring the Dior silhouette while updating it for 2014 with an identifiable touch of Raf. Thus creating a modern Dior identity again. Just like Galliano managed to do in the first ten years of his tenure. Not only design-wise but image-wise as well, with ads that fit the spirit of the times and celebrity and model representatives that are in tune with the Zeitgeist. It may feel less revolutionary then when Galliano was doing it around the turn of the millenium, but I blame that on the fact that fashion shock is completely non-existent nowadays with digital saturation and all that.

I'm not the OP but I would take he's alluding to the fact that people now complain that Dior under Raf is not Dior anymore. Just like what people were saying when Galliano was in charge.

yes! someone understands me!

Anyways I really loved what Galliano did (well until around 2007) and I love what Raf is doing but one thing that's missing is the marketing. Dior under Galliano sold a lifestyle, it was the Dior prostitute look and it worked. Raf needs to clear his marketing up because at the moment it's way too broad.

^Yeah, it's not like this is the only time a designer who takes over after another is critiqued - I imagine that's pretty much the rule rather than exception. I feel pretty sure Bohan wasn't exactly lauded at first either (or was he ever)...I guess Tom Ford had enough of a PR crowd behind him to be fairly unanimously well received - except by people with excellent memory who could spot the "inspiration" from the archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->