Is John Galliano Wrong for Dior?

birdofparadise said:
I think Tott's got it. Time to let the old labels go. Fashion would have lost so much if YSL did work out for Dior.

i agree, when we talk of Dior, LVMH, Gucci etc, we talk about stock market, shareholders, executives.. these are not fashion houses, these are huge fat dinosaurs, this is not what fashion should be all about..
bring back the small fashion houses, get designers to create for their own brands, let the old names die out together with those fat company shareholders ..boooom

attack attack attack (ooops) :ninja:

modernism is sooo relative...

Modernism is about something new whatever spin one puts on it - it's in the etymology of the word itself...

Calling Dior a modernist is like calling Jake & Dinos Chapman modernists.

@bird: I don't recall anyone referring to his personality for being fit for Dior in this discussion actually. Plus I think that John has found the elegance back for RTW after a few seasons. I don't believe it has aver been gone for couture...

Luna said:
I think John Galliano is wrong alltogether...

but then again.. to each his own. :wink:

I agree..lol

I dont like him for Dior, maybe for Haute Couture but not for ready-to-wear. I'm sorry, too much for me.

Obviously, this discussion is supported by people who like and dislike Christian Dior. And I gotta say, it's very interesting to see the arguments the people take. Quite a few of you seem to be defending the monetary side of fashion and others, the artstic merit. I'm all for the romanticism. In my opinion, LVMH among other corporation have become obsessive about the bottom line. How much money do you need?! Where is the love, damn it? Besides, defend Galliano's "real" comeback all you want, I still think it's wrong to describe him and his work as "modern". Neither his collections for Dior or his own label represent moderninity or wearability in the way "unprofitable" Lanvin or Chloe do (which just seems to be right). Wishing to convince others that Dior is good fashion by stating that the company is rolling in it, is a cheap argument considering the discussion is about taste.

plumage19 said:
Obviously, this discussion is supported by people who like and dislike Christian Dior. And I gotta say, it's very interesting to see the arguments the people take. Quite a few of you seem to be defending the monetary side of fashion and others, the artstic merit. I'm all for the romanticism. In my opinion, LVMH among other corporation have become obsessive about the bottom line. How much money do you need?! Where is the love, damn it? Besides, defend Galliano's "real" comeback all you want, I still think it's wrong to describe him and his work as "modern". Neither his collections for Dior or his own label represent moderninity or wearability in the way "unprofitable" Lanvin or Chloe do (which just seems to be right). Wishing to convince others that Dior is good fashion by stating that the company is rolling in it, is a cheap argument considering the discussion is about taste.

You do have a point about the only defense people have been using is that Galliano has been raking in the money. I do think Galliano is a artistic genius, his clothes are structurally perfection, even when he's bad he's still better than most. I hated his F/W 04 collection but I appreaciated all the effort put into those Poiret collars and embroidery and such. I think Galliano is quite talented, I think he is very capable of creating "normal" clothes (look at McQueen) but he chooses not to so he can create attention, the women who see a snip of a Dior show think to themselves I want a piece of that, so they buy a fragrance, makeup, bags.

I think the F/W 04 HC and RTW collections were his last hurrah, he maxed out his knack for exaggeration.

Mr-Dale said:
@bird: I don't recall anyone referring to his personality for being fit for Dior in this discussion actually. Plus I think that John has found the elegance back for RTW after a few seasons. I don't believe it has aver been gone for couture...

I feel the process of creation, of art, of design is connected to aesthetic largely fueled by the personality. The house, at this point, is as much about John as it is about Christian. To ask the question if he is right for Dior and to question his designs for the house is then, in an indirect way, to point to his personality and the decisions he's made because of it. Perhaps it is difficult for me to not see design and aesthetic as more organic, more medulla, especially at the level we're discussing.

plumage19 said:
Besides, defend Galliano's "real" comeback all you want, I still think it's wrong to describe him and his work as "modern". Neither his collections for Dior or his own label represent moderninity or wearability in the way "unprofitable" Lanvin or Chloe do (which just seems to be right). Wishing to convince others that Dior is good fashion by stating that the company is rolling in it, is a cheap argument considering the discussion is about taste.

bravo :flower:

it boggles my mind that those with such a strong artistic sensibility could be so smart at being the center of a huge business :blink: in gallinos defense...he succeeds in both. how he does it--i'm not sure i'll be lucky enough to ever know.

wahhhhhhhhhh everyone stop now

those who don't not like the type of clothes galliano makes will say "wrong"
those who like the type of clothes galliano makes will say " right"
it's like i hate marc jacob but she loves marc jacob. i don't think marc is not for LV. She thinks Marc is perfect for LV (just example)

that's all. Beauty of gallaino's clothes is in the eye of beholder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly Ghost, that's why I think both his latest collection were very modern as opposed to Lena and Plumage :P
Thsese kind of discussions are basically a deadend...that's why we have already had many Galliano discussion that just stopped at one point....But the fierceness in how everyone believes in his/her own opinions is what I love seeing in these type of discussions, bravo to everyone!

Ghost said:
those who don't not like the type of clothes galliano makes will say "wrong"
those who like the type of clothes galliano makes will say " right"
Sorry, that's BS. I love looking at what Galliano has to offer. I just don't think it's right for Dior.

well house of Dior should not be staying like the past forever, it needs some changes too. other fashion houses follow the tradition doesn't mean Dior have to. If Dior has to, the president of dior or LVMH will fire Galliano. maybe they think galliano is needed for some changes in this house. Maybe Galliano thinks he has changed House of Dior to the direction of somewhere interesting, modern to stand grand among other houses by letting the people know through runway shows, so he has toned down now because everyone has known that dior is not an antique shop anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see all of your points, but just think: If only classic stuff was produced, Dior would become the Hollywood label of Chanel.
I love Dior.

I just received post from Dior, some glossy advertising for their F/W 2005 / 2006 resort collection accessories... what can I say, everything just looks horrendous! As much as I dislike Galliano, but the accessories designers are even worse than him... along with Haute Joallierie designer Victoire de Castellane. The sort of designs they produce are rarely ever about a good shape (shoes, bags, jewellry) but about cheap decoration... even the floral designs on Dior bags and clothes look everything else but elaborate :sick:

^ the quality of some dior stuff is just :yuk:
i remember seeing the gambler bag...it looked awful, fluffy and the dice were...:yuk:

but some of the stuff i do like..

Oh...

There are some aspects which I dislike on Dior, but anyway Dior is great brand, has wonderful image... Something could be better... I would need to wonder about it... Oh it drives me mad! I love Dior! :shock: :wacko: :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->