Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

I can see Carine styling it and working with him
But then again, she can work with Tom Ford or Hedi too

That would be awesome, I also agree with many of you that Tom Ford could probably do it well.
I'm on the fence with Marc Jacobs, he's fun and a chameleon but I don't really see that working.

marc jacobs do nice things but doesnt really have a singular vision. For a house like chanel theres need to be a familiarity with each collection. Not necessarily the same collection with different colors like dior. Marc jacobs woman was changing everytime, theres a reason louis vuitton never became a fashion house under him. There probably wasnt enough demand for what he was doing unlike under Ghesquire where they are starting to be more than just bags. Im sure limited distribution of his rtw didnt mean they were not pushing to become a fashion brand, why would they have kept a cd at all.

It would be awesome that the new designer OR the team also design a REAL MEN LINE at Chanel :smile: I would looove it. I remember seeing some of these men looks from time to time and thiking ''I love this, I need to see more of this''. Don't you think?

chanel doesnt need a 360 vision. i dont think thats how big brands like chanel/louis vuitton/dior should work. It needs a seperate team/seperate vision for each department. a one trick pony cant do it all... i mean a jack of all trades 🤣 Burberry is trying to give that task to their designer and it just doesnt work if you're trying to cater to a wide variety of clients. While we see hermes, lv and dior who all have seperate teams working on each department with much success.

Edit: Why are we gatekeeping Chanel for men. Id love that.

Last edited:
no he didn't, he cleared his instagram account before the new year... i've been following him for ages and he's had zero posts since at least the last co-ed show LMAO. nothing's happening. he's stable at margiela and he's almost definitely staying there. it allows him to be lowkey but still retain a large degree of creative freedom. he's vey likely to renew his contract in october. if he's going anywhere, it'll be somewhere like givenchy, or another house in LVMH. suggesting he may go to chanel is so random; he may be obsessed with the 1920s, but not the utilitarian, sporty pragmatism that coco championed in the period.
Oh yes because it's the utilitarian, sporty pragmatism that really inspired Lagerfeld's Chanel.

12 pages and nobody has mentioned Pharrell, who used to work with Chanel, and is currently working "designer", with his own specific success.

Last edited:
Besides Hedi--

did Karl really suggest Jeremy Scott himself?

Galliano why not? Raf why not? I could mainly see Hedi, Raf or Galliano.
Raf is a possibility, and something I’d be very curious to see. Is he still working at Prada? Might be hard for him to balance his own label, Prada, and Chanel full time, but it’s still possible.
Hedi technically makes the most sense. As he’s supposedly leaving celine, and has the magical ability of turning a profit at every label he graces. But what would he do for Chanel? The same “modernizing” he did at YSL and Céline doesn’t seem like an option at Chanel. I do see it being very successful though, as Hedi’s work is very popular in Asia, Chanel’s target audience.
Galliano to me is very unlikely. Maison Margiela and MM6 are becoming very lucrative, and his work there appears to be keeping everybody happy. Especially Mr. Rosso and his net worth.
My bet is it’ll be someone unexpected, or Hedi. Let’s see if I eat my words.

After his Dior, no one at Chanel would consider Raf. If Raf goes to Chanel I will close this account and promise not to see anything fashion related in my life again.
I think Raf killed all prospects of a solo career after he single handedly burned Calvin Klein to the ground. I can't see anyone taking another chance on him after that disaster, not even with Prada.

Might be hard for him to balance his own label, Prada, and Chanel full time, but it’s still possible.
He closed his own label in 2022, so really all he has to balance is his Prada co-design stint. I don't think he's the best choice though. Raf is a little too emotional of a person in the worst possible way and that already burnt bridges with the Dior and CK team (plus destroying CK Collections division...).

At this point, Chanel needs to review everything besides the Creative Director to improve all their channels. Of course Virginie's design capacity wasn't exciting, but it really wasn't helped by the constant price hikes on top of the decreasing quality. When you aren't the most compelling creative person, it is hard to make those factors worth it, right? I'm also sure she was a much more passive person compared to Karl, who seemingly demanded a level of quality from the atelier and manufacturers whereas she seemed rather complicit to it all.

I think thanks the Virginie though, it is kind of hard to care about who's potentially next at Chanel... We get better Chanel from so many other brands now at a better price point, what is the point? If I were to say another name, maybe Jun Takahashi or Christophe Lemaire. I did propose Natacha Ramsay-Levi, purely for the previous Karl/Chloe tie in. Karl's use of lightness there really informed a lighter touch at Chanel for sure though.

He closed his own label in 2022, so really all he has to balance is his Prada co-design stint. I don't think he's the best choice though. Raf is a little too emotional of a person in the worst possible way and that already burnt bridges with the Dior and CK team (plus destroying CK Collections division...).

At this point, Chanel needs to review everything besides the Creative Director to improve all their channels. Of course Virginie's design capacity wasn't exciting, but it really wasn't helped by the constant price hikes on top of the decreasing quality. When you aren't the most compelling creative person, it is hard to make those factors worth it, right? I'm also sure she was a much more passive person compared to Karl, who seemingly demanded a level of quality from the atelier and manufacturers whereas she seemed rather complicit to it all.

I think thanks the Virginie though, it is kind of hard to care about who's potentially next at Chanel... We get better Chanel from so many other brands now at a better price point, what is the point? If I were to say another name, maybe Jun Takahashi or Christophe Lemaire. I did propose Natacha Ramsay-Levi, purely for the previous Karl/Chloe tie in. Karl's use of lightness there really informed a lighter touch at Chanel for sure though.

Natacha Ramsay-Levi was a big flop at Chloe though apart from her debut collection
Her women are too stiff and hard looking like NG's
Her stylist Max Pearmain however styled some decent work for Virginie's Chanel consistency once or twice every year

1863638-800w.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->