Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

To me he peaked in 2007/2008, like many designers: Pilati, Elbaz, Nicolas, Theyskens, KL…
At least Lagerfeld was lucky enough to peak in his 70s, rather than his 40s. I guess the unique challenge of reviving Chanel sort of gave him a second lease on a creative career in a way. Especially because the 80s was the time when lots of his contemporaries (Yves Saint Laurent, Paco Rabanne, André Courrèges, etc.) started to go through their creative declines.

Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen would be a surprise design duo that could land the ship.

These women have an extensive knowledge of Chanel's archive from purchasing pieces firsthand over the past 30 years and collecting archival couture. They're also knowledgeable enough about American sportswear and Japanese fashion that would allow them to infuse different themes and perspectives into each collection.

^ Daphne Guinness would die lol. Never forget her ‘if I see a celebrity wearing it, I don’t want it’, live from Chanel’s front row.

Marc might be a meme now, but saying he peaked in 2001 is absolutely wild.
.. and can I insist: it barely lasted 3 years 🦦. It’s been downhill since then and never would’ve thought he’d enter a Jocelyn Wildenstein period but here we are….

Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen would be a surprise design duo that could land the ship.

These women have an extensive knowledge of Chanel's archive from purchasing pieces firsthand over the past 30 years and collecting archival couture. They're also knowledgeable enough about American sportswear and Japanese fashion that would allow them to infuse different themes and perspectives into each collection.
I thought the job was as designer not curator.

Obviously a lot of great conversations have already been had in this thread, but I'd like to point out this interesting part of Chanel's statement: "A new creative organisation will be announced in due course." I don't think I've ever seen a new creative director being described as an "organisation", and I'm sure they already know the future, which makes me think they aren't going for one person. Maybe a permanent studio team? Or perhaps different designers for ready-to-wear and couture? I have a feeling they won't try to replicate the "star designer" formula of Karl and others, for better or for worse. The state of luxury fashion is becoming dire and changes will happen. I think they'll want to keep Chanel stable in the way that Hermes is.

If it were up to me?

Nadege Vanhee.

Without a second thought.

But it will most likely be Hedi Slimane. The other name I've heard whispered is Pier Paolo.

I wouldn't count Galliano out of the running either.

I asked someone I know who is quite close to MJ, and her response was, "He's more interested in his nails."

where on earth are these galliano predictions coming from? seriously, i would like to know. he is not going to chanel. ever.
He just cleared his Instagram account. Something is happening.

But why do you think he could not ever go to Chanel?

He just cleared his Instagram account. Something is happening.
no he didn't, he cleared his instagram account before the new year... i've been following him for ages and he's had zero posts since at least the last co-ed show LMAO. nothing's happening. he's stable at margiela and he's almost definitely staying there. it allows him to be lowkey but still retain a large degree of creative freedom. he's vey likely to renew his contract in october. if he's going anywhere, it'll be somewhere like givenchy, or another house in LVMH. suggesting he may go to chanel is so random; he may be obsessed with the 1920s, but not the utilitarian, sporty pragmatism that coco championed in the period.

Not the directing style but Chalamet feels very Hedi-coded in this recent Bleu Ad

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->