Eurovision Song Contest 2011

I will never understand how can Israel, Georgia and Azerbaijan compete since they're not from Europe. The song is not bad, but I had other favorites. I feel sorry for Estonia. The song was quite catchy.

^Apparently small parts of Georgia and Azerbaijan are considered as Europe. But I still don't get how can Israel compete in an European contest.

I called Azer for the win! Woohoo. Had Sweden gotten a later draw, it could've been really close for the win. Where did Italy come from? So strange and fishy. And yay for Ukraine. Bosnia and Denmark did well too. Disappointed in Slovenia's result, but it's not that bad.

The only song, which I quite liked yesterday was Italia's. It smells, I would say, retro spirit - swinging vocal, jazz. Very italian song. I am really surprised that they won the second place, because usually songs like "bom bom" take high places. What can I say about the winner? I remember when I was watching the first semi-pusfinal I was sure that Azerbaijan won't go into final. The song was pretty much weak, singers' vocals were not the best that night and the whole show was nothing what you could expect from the winners. Talking about Sweden, probably most girls voted for him only because he is 'cute', otherwise I have no other reason why this song is in the top 3. Ukraine was not bad, but it is rather typical song, Alyosha's song Sweet People was way better. Denmark's song will be a hit for sure, very memorable song with easy lyrics and nice melody, although it is not my cup of tea. By the way, I think Georgia deserved a higher place, the song's energy was very strong, although it sounds like Linkin Park.

this year's final was a serious wtf for me. I at least hoped that Sweden would win... and I also thought that Russia and Estonia got higher places. Estonia totally failed:doh:
And I hated Azerbaijan's song:yuk:

^ Don't worry, it was a good song with the whole appearance and I know that some my friends voted for you. We should understand that is more a political show and small countries rarely win.

Personally, this was the worst and weakest ESC in 10 years. The show was pretty well executed and the presenters were good, but 93% of the "music" was a complete waste of my hearing ability.

Sorry, Azerbaijan, but it, Denmark, Russia and Sweden were my very worst of the evening. Europe has no taste in music.

azerbaijan winning is such a joke...it was one of the weakest entries this year

I'm so mad Aizerbaijan won :dih: Their song was so dull, so random and ordinary and I don't like the male lead singer either, he looks so ... sleezy ..

All in all I'm so shocked by the ranking! A lot of songs that were hyped and were considered as favorites totally failed. Why is Estonia so low?? I can't believe it!
I hoped Jedward to be in the top 3 at least, their song was so good.
I'm happy for Sweden though:D Although he got beat by Italy by the last points.

As a Swede, I'm disappointed that Eric didn't bring it home. We where totally expecting Finland, Denmark, & Bosnia to have our backs.

This was going to be our year!

I wanted A Friend from London to win. I loved their song. Oh well, the winning song is not too bad, I just wish the female singer had a better voice. It's way too weak for my liking.

Disappointed! Disappointed! Disappointed! Azerbaijan didn't deserve to win, imo ....its song was bad, the performance was ordinary (I fell asleep) and the singers had a soft voice and were unattractive!:doh: imo, the worst winner in a long time!:yuk:

I was hoping Sweden would make it. Not just because its singer was handsome, but also because,,,,, had a spectacular choreography, a brilliant dancer, amazing performance and the song was great! can anyone ask for more?:D

Sweden was/is the winner for me!:heart::heart::heart:

Re: the "who is Europe" - Russia, Israel, Azerbaijan etc. aren't. But this isn't the European Song Contest - it's the Eurovision Song Contest. And every television broadcasting network who is a member in that organisation can enter an act into the competition. Still, I like how it brings together so many countries and hopefully strengthens the feeling of togetherness throughout the peoples of the countries :heart:

Re: The acts.
Well. I thought that Sweden was horrible. Too bad that the song title became true. Honestly - I will be popular? :rofl: Almost as bad was the azeri? act, they were both just so... 08/15 nonsense routine pop. Actually, I disliked most of the top 10 votes - the countries didn't really show any taste in music :lol:

One exception: the Italian guy, he was my favourite! Even though I did like some of the fun and some of the passionate acts, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: the "who is Europe" - Russia, Israel, Azerbaijan etc. aren't. But this isn't the European Song Contest - it's the Eurovision Song Contest. And every television broadcasting network who is a member in that organisation can enter an act into the competition. Still, I like how it brings together so many countries and hopefully strengthens the feeling of togetherness throughout the peoples of the countries :heart:
So Australia could also enter the competition ( I think they're broadcasting the show) if they were a member of the organisation (You do mean Eurovision as the organisation, right)?

I guess that would be stretching my knowledge :wink: but yeah, I think so since there are quite a few Northern African states in it, too...

As a Swede, I'm disappointed that Eric didn't bring it home. We where totally expecting Finland, Denmark, & Bosnia to have our backs.

This was going to be our year!

I was surprised we didnt vote more for Sweden :blink: but Swedes were not that into us this year either. B) But Nordic Countries were really great this year, especially Sweden and Denmark. I just dont understand where the Italy-hype came from, I thought it was dreadful, well maybe now they'll come back next year also.

I guess that would be stretching my knowledge :wink: but yeah, I think so since there are quite a few Northern African states in it, too...
I didn't know that, I thought only European countries can compete.

actually Australia couldn't, you have to live in a certain area as well

here is an article about it on wikipedia

^ but there are associated members from Brazil etc., too (in the European Broadcasting Union). I now that you have to be from a "certain area", but still... For money they would stretch the rules, I'm sure. But you definately don't have to be a European country.

^you have to be an "active" member though, not sure if associative member is enough (don't know the exact rules there)
and no, obviously it's not just europe-wide, but for now the rules don't allow countries from that far away to participate.
i'd love some kind of worldwide contest though. but i think it's also difficult with the time-difference and interest. maybe they will change the rules some day if other countries really want to participate

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->