Goyard bags / luggage

Media today makes info. trends, etc, all right at our finger tips..Such has here....Many people know or think they know about "it" bags, companies, etc. are...When a "Nicole Richie" or like carries a bag legions of girls/boys flock to get one copy or not. Goyard has been around for a very long time...it's not going any where any time soon.

^No, but you must acknowledge as far as art in the age of mechanical reproduction is concerned, something like Goyard has less value than, say, Hermes. While many high end products are knocked off, they are often of inferior quality and look much cheaper and noticeably different than the original. With Goyard, since they are made of common, easily made material, and are of such incredibly simple design, the knock offs are so close to the original that the original has no aura at all. Of all the bags I have seen knocked off, nothing makes me not want to carry one more than the Goyard fakes, because they are SO close to the original. Its the first time, in my view, that fakes have really had an impact on the original. I can tell instantly with pretty much every other bag I have seen knocked off, but not at all with Goyard.

^No, but you must acknowledge as far as art in the age of mechanical reproduction is concerned, something like Goyard has less value than, say, Hermes. While many high end products are knocked off, they are often of inferior quality and look much cheaper and noticeably different than the original. With Goyard, since they are made of common, easily made material, and are of such incredibly simple design, the knock offs are so close to the original that the original has no aura at all. Of all the bags I have seen knocked off, nothing makes me not want to carry one more than the Goyard fakes, because they are SO close to the original. Its the first time, in my view, that fakes have really had an impact on the original. I can tell instantly with pretty much every other bag I have seen knocked off, but not at all with Goyard.

Yes, I've seen the copies on Madison.....IMO a copy is just that a copy good or bad....Also not to mention the child labor etc, that can come into play with the faux industry.......To me the intrinsic value of any of these bags is what matters most...Otherwise I would never spend 1,065 on a Goyard St Louis or around 10,000.00 on an Hermes 40cm Birkin. It's like having an authentic diamond or gem stone...You know if it's real or not...and to me that is the only thing that really matters is that I know mine is authentic. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yeah, totally.... Despite the problems with the paint on my goyard, I still love it. Although I would never personally buy a copy of something, I would never hold it against someone :smile:

Just to clarify, I was not arguing for fakes. I do not own nor would I own a knock off of anything, my only point was that the fakes have devalued this bag extensivley greater in my view than any other before.

"Value" is very subjective. I still see Goyard as a prestigious brand.. maybe because I've only seen 2 people carrying the bags in my life. Their not common at all here, especially since they've stopped selling it at Holt Renfrew.
People say Coach and D&B are high end brands..it's all relative.

Just to clarify, I was not arguing for fakes. I do not own nor would I own a knock off of anything, my only point was that the fakes have devalued this bag extensivley greater in my view than any other before.

I knew your point...and it was a very valid good one!! :smile: In today's market where anything can be copied it's up to us to decide. I think we all here love authentic items and the history of Goyard and the like.

maybe I have been living under a rock or something but sightings of Goyard's St. Louis tote here in their birth place - Paris are pretty few and far between. However, having read about poor marcj's crappy Goyard experience and having checked out the totes in real life I have decided to go with an Hermes bag over the Goyard. Yes it's a tonne of money more but at least, it'll to the distance without rubbing away!

I'm still hoping that marc's bag is in fact cursed (no offense) and that it isn't a measure of the brand's overall quality standards.

^I am sure what happend to marcj's ag was a complete fluke. How they handled it, however, is inexcusable.

haha i really think it is cursed..... but it was just a bad paint job- apparently they got a new painter or something. It will get fixed, eventually.

^Will they repaint your bag for free? Mine definitely needs a touch-up, but I won't know how badly until I know how much it will cost me. :P

hi, i have sort of a newb question..
but i tried calling goyard @ barneys new york, but i couldnt get through.
i was just wondering if anyone knew the price of a standard goyard billfold wallet? ballpark??
thanks to anyone who can help.

I thought they became it bags a few years ago when all the people in the front row had the dark green totes, but since then they had died down - looks like I was wrong. I agree there are so many fakes in New York but there are many of them which are pretty bad fakes.

Regarding quality, I've had my wallet for about 3-5 years and although I have used it quite lightly (I have several wallets so change it around) I've had no problems with it. It's the long wallet, (I think the continental?) in the dark pink, bought in Paris for around AU$1000 or maybe a touch more (but again, this was a few years back).

What is the name of this style? It looks like St Louis but...taller. It is not on the web site.

Source of photo: Splash News (posted a few pages back)

^It's just the largest St. Louis they make....It's like 14.5" T X 21.5" W...I actually have it in orange....It's a great mail bag!!! Will hold a ton!! :smile:

Oh okay thank you! Yes I want one :smile: Do you recommend white or black? Those are the two I am undecided with...

^You're welcome!! :smile: I have to say I find the white lot's of fun!! Good thing about Goyard's white is the whole effect of white into gray --contrast.

53mes6.jpg

does anyone know the name of the style that erin wasson is carrying here?
looks like a makeup bag or something...
style.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->