Gucci S/S 2016 Milan

that's not really surprising, a factor here might also be the HUGE 50% off handbag sale they had in may/june, where they sold off old Frida styles. people were buying like crazy, believe me, I bought three bags at once myself, something I never did at Gucci before. it's not normal to get 50% off for handsbags at a major designer house, and everything sold out pretty fast....

the numbers might look completely different next year....

Totally! It was kinda crazy. They haven't had a huge sale like that since Tom's departure. They kinda did the same with Stefano's last collection.

You're right about the figures and let's not forget that between Michele's appointment and this show, they had Frida's spring summer and pre-fall collections.
The pre-fall collection will counts in the figures.
Even if fashion people are totally sold on Alessandro's vision, in stores they are still selling Frida's designs.

But i've heard that some stores are starting to get the resort collection.

raf's had his for years imo
Really? Ok he made Dior fresher but that's it. Their sunglasses are quite successful i have to say.

Seeing how Gucci executives wants to get rid of Frida's vision, i wonder how long it will take for them to give to Alessandro the total control of the house. I'm really curious to see what he can do with perfumes and cosmetics.

So unflattering. this would be ok for another brand but Gucci is supposed to be expensive looking and sexy, but that's just me.

Overall a nice collection with some really amazing pieces. The whole concept of a treasure map gave me this idea of going on a adventure and meeting all these interesting people with their cool outfits. It was just so endearing. :flower:

This new Gucci is so exciting and although I was originally doubtful about his vision for the house, I'm now really loving it.

I personally loved the collection, it was so joyous.

me too.
A lot of pieces are perfect.
Alessandro Michele's collection is a Happening, everybody speak/write about it.
Sure the buyers will order it. And customers will buy it.

Separately I do see some nice pieces. But I cant get over how they're sometimes too designed or too fancy to be worn together. Every look is a visual pounce that at first look you'll go "who is gonna wear this out?"..but once you got over it, you'll find the good pieces. The window display will be something indeed.

Also I'm still a bit confused over who he is dressing. From the models chosen, it says youthful innocence, but the garishnessof certain looks speaks of an older kind of opulence. And then some designs are kind of sweetly innoccent, but the colors are look at me loud. Some can be considered borderline sexy, with high slits and exposed skin but he puts childlike ribbons and bows on them. I understand juxtapositions, but to me these are new matches that I dont quite get. So who is she, this Gucci woman?

I admire his commitment to his vision though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is Gucci stylist? I need to say its amazing work. But design of clothes is amazing too. Well done this season. Everything worked in the right way this time.

I'm pretty sure Alessandro styles the shows himself. Joe McKenna and Jane How have worked on the ad campaigns.

that's not really surprising, a factor here might also be the HUGE 50% off handbag sale they had in may/june, where they sold off old Frida styles. people were buying like crazy, believe me, I bought three bags at once myself, something I never did at Gucci before. it's not normal to get 50% off for handsbags at a major designer house, and everything sold out pretty fast....

the numbers might look completely different next year....

To add to this, the sales figures do not reflect Michelle's new direction. We won't really have any concrete numbers to judge his performance on until early winter.

At maximum, there were 3 pieces that I would wear separately. It's disappointing because he has the ability to pull off this new Gucci look in an aesthetically pleasing way. I will say, he has a great hand at accessories though. That's probably what will really generate sales at his reign.

I'm sorry but this collection is ugly. The only decent piece is the first look, everything else is terrible looking. Gucci is no longer a favorite of mine.

I don't like this collection,many outfits are like out of dreams only,can't be worn in real.

Who is Gucci stylist? I need to say its amazing work. But design of clothes is amazing too. Well done this season. Everything worked in the right way this time.

Alessandro styles the shows himself as well.

Have we seen his clothes on real people except those paid or sponsored celebrities at events? Anybody snapped on street style wearing his pieces? I like the accessories like belts and some of the men's shoes but I dont find anything else very desirable. His Gucci bags that they are pushing is so clunky and looked heavy for a sling bag.

i would wear everything in this collection...i mean EVERYTHING..even the glasses:wub::wub::wub:

Felt like all over the place. Although there were some really nice pieces individually. I would just not want to see Gucci become the colorful Saint Laurent.

Also, why are some of their bags looking like Anya Hindmarch ripoffs? Gucci and Marc Jacobs especially this season.

I truly cannot fathom how or why almost every single reviewer and journalist refuses to mention the glaring similarities between this apparently "revolutionary" new direction Gucci has taken under Michele's leadership and a plethora of other, better established designers. I mean god forbid Marc Jacobs ever references Rei Kawakubo (and acknowledges doing so) he gets raked over the coals, but Michele pretty much cherry picks references from Jacobs, Prada, Marni, Miu Miu, Anna Sui, Valentino and a host of others and it goes unremarked upon.

THAT'S what pisses me off the most about this new direction the house has taken. I'm over the fact that it's a bit of a needle scratch within the overall legacy of the house, but the fact that it's been praised to the high heavens for ushering in a new era by essentially just mashing up a bunch of other people's existing aesthetics really bugs the s*** out of me, especially when very few other designers would get that sort of free pass.

Clearly whomever mixed that particular batch of kool-aid made it very, very strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am equally surprised by the thumbs up Michele is getting for producing this, even by the justification that his 70"s is different from real 70"s clothes due to the details etc. But this is high fashion! surely when it got reproduced, it has the choice to use ultra luxe fabrics and immaculate detailing, so what is the point of justifying even?
I however agree that this pretty much looks like it came off a movie set.

nothing to hate about his aesthetics, since some of the clothes are actually quite pretty, but to apply double standards to his ripping off a certain era and hate slimane for doing the same, is nonsensical.

This new Gucci looks very 2004-2007 TeenVogue. Maybe for that reason i always think of Marc Jacobs when i see a new show. Pretty sure that a 21 years old Olsen twins will love this!

i am equally surprised by the thumbs up Michele is getting for producing this, even by the justification that his 70"s is different from real 70"s clothes due to the details etc. But this is high fashion! surely when it got reproduced, it has the choice to use ultra luxe fabrics and immaculate detailing, so what is the point of justifying even?
I however agree that this pretty much looks like it came off a movie set.

nothing to hate about his aesthetics, since some of the clothes are actually quite pretty, but to apply double standards to his ripping off a certain era and hate slimane for doing the same, is nonsensical.

I think that people just love the fact that the brand is moving on after 10 years of boredom. People are over-praising it because, suddenly, they have separate themselves from Tom Ford and at the same time, Michele aknowledge his years.

This looks vintage for sure but there, vintage seems to be a point of inspiration. The spirit and some of the prints are very 70's but it's also very baroque with a little bit of everything mixed.

Hedi is not doing that much in terms of creativity. He is not adding anything else than good styling and right attitude.

And remember, Hedi came after two very strong creatives, with the pressure of his great past.

Alessandro will at some points have to do something else because for me, the real problem with Gucci is their relationship with the past.
Tom allowed himself to be creative and to play with his heritage and influences. We can say that Gucci by him had a 70's spirit but it wasn't that much about it.

By doing something so specific and always turning into the 70's, i don't think it makes justice to the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->