High-Waisted Trousers

As You Like It

Proponent of Plaid
Reaction score
Well, it seems high-waist trousers are the coming thing, and I am thinking of becoming an early-adopter, as I see this style as being a lot easier to swing at work, where flashes of navel can get a girl called to the office for Serious Words.

My concern is: they look great on a willowy catwalk model, but how do they work for the rest of us? Also, those of you who have them, how well do they work with your existing tops? Do you have to have a lot of your old tops altered, or can you just tuck in or let them overlap?

I'm 5'5" and wear a size 4...but I have short legs and a long torso. I am thinking the look would be okay for my figure, but I'd like to hear what other folks have experienced before I run out and buy fabric.

I have a high waisted skirt.
It's a tight pencil skirt with a very very high waist. It actually comes up past my waist. I am also 5'5", about a size 4/6 and I think with some heels it looks great. I attached a rough drawing.
I wear it as shown
over a tight black t shirt and a short shirt cardigan/shrug.

Attachments

• skirt.jpg
    skirt.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 198
Maybe you should think first about the shape. I think an A-skirt would be perfect, or a fish tail, but not a very long one. Try this link here, it might be useful: Suzanna and Trinny's What Not Wear - it's a tv show hosted by two fashion journalists. At the website, they collect some important tips on what to wear and what not wear, based on your body type.

Nemova

a high waisted trouser can actually make your legs look longer and make you look taller...that's if you wear them with heels...i happen to know that you don't wear heels..as you like it...so i would not go for the exaggerated hi waist if i wre you, but for somewhere in the middle...i've always preferred the higher waist, myself... :flower:

Ye, heels are a must for those styles.

I love high-waisted pants! I can't find them anywhere right now :( but I can't wait to get a high waisted skirt or pants. I found one high waisted skirt at H&M but I think I was wearing it more high-waisted then it was meant to be :lol:

Oh God, I went completely off-topic. :blush: It's trousers, not skirts, you're talking about.. anyway, I keep my suggestion. I don't have anything high waisted cause I think it's a bit uncomfortable, but maybe if I got a pair of classy high-waisted trousers I would change my mind. B)

Nemova

as ugly or unhabitual they might seem, high waist trousers are actually better for shorter people (like me) cause they elongate the lower body half.
i just dont like anything above my navel though... somehow bothering me when i sit and stuff.
but the CHLOE ones ARE really wellmade :blush:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 9:44 am
a high waisted trouser can actually make your legs look longer and make you look taller...that's if you wear them with heels...i happen to know that you don't wear heels..as you like it...so i would not go for the exaggerated hi waist if i wre you, but for somewhere in the middle...i've always preferred the higher waist, myself... :flower:
you took the word right out of my mouth, but one thing is for sure...they don't look that great on pot bellies (not saying that you have one), so maybe a slimmer or a waist cincher. I love the cinchers, get a painless one that creates a womanly waistline. I have a small waist and wide hips but I still wear them and the high waisted skirts. Love them so much!

I welcome high-waisted trousers with open arms. I have enjoyed wearing the hipster jeans, blah,blah, blah, but it would be nice for a change. I liked the one Janet Jackson wore sometime ago. I really like them, especially if they have some shape to them :wink: i'll be getting a few of those.

I remember years ago, high-waisted trousers were the "norm" just like the hipsters are now. Fashion never really changes - its a merry-go-round. :innocent:

i've been trying to say that to girls. short girls esp with short legs should NEVER wear low waisted pants. (i'm thinking of britney spears, she has thicker and shorter legs and she wears too much low waisted pants. a mid waisted jean would look so much better on her and accentuate what she has) they make themselves look shorter. try a mid waist or teh high waist. it elongates your legs esp with heels like everyone said.

Originally posted by TheSweetest+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:00 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheSweetest @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:00 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 9:44 am
you took the word right out of my mouth, but one thing is for sure...they don't look that great on pot bellies (not saying that you have one), so maybe a slimmer or a waist cincher. I love the cinchers, get a painless one that creates a womanly waistline. I have a small waist and wide hips but I still wear them and the high waisted skirts. Love them so much! [/b][/quote]
Well, one of my few good figure points is that I have a flat stomach. I've a few doubts about the flattering nature of high-waist trousers though because I don't have a lot of curve between my waist and hips. I have pretty regular proportions by measure, but this is because I have a high, round butt.

I think I am going to buy a length of inexpensive fabric and experiment a bit. Then, if it is unflattering, I will know without being out much.

I think I could make the look work, because, as I said, I have a long torso already and not very long legs, but I am overall pretty fit. I look awful in pencil skirts because of the lack of hip/waist definition, and I am not a fashion slave enough to wear a waist cincher on a regular basis. One of the basic requirements of my work clothing is that it can be worn while bicycling or can survive being folded up and carried to work in my backpack and changed into in the Ladies' toilets. I don't think I could bike in a waist cincher, and don't fancy weaseling into one in a restroom stall.

Do you think I should go with a fitted waist and hip, then looser legs, like the ladies' trousers of the 1930s (like Marlene Dietrich) or do an overall slimmer look? I have very muscular legs from my bicycling addiction, so I don't like tight-fitting pants, but I can and do wear slimmer cut trousers sometimes, that have 1.5-2" ease all the way down.

i opt for the looser option for you :wink:
and try and look for the CHLOE ones. they are very simple :innocent:

i would make sure they fit through the hips and then gently loosen up...if you go too wide...you will wind up looking short and dumpy..esp if you wear your docs...it's nice when the hem of the pant just flops a bit when you cross your leg...there's something very flattering about the movement of the fabric down there...

hope that made sense to you... :flower:

High waists pants are not for me :sick:
I love low rise pants, though not to the point where it's like,"hey look at me I got a brazilian bikini wax just to wear these pants". I like them because I can actually sit comfortably. I am short, about 5'3, but I don't believe the low waisted pants look bad on me. I guess that' just because my body is proportionate. Anyways, with the style of clothing I wear, it would just look weird to wear high wasted pants(and you'd probably shoot me if you saw my outfits, too lol).

I have a high waisted suit, the pants go to about the navel & it has a short cropped matching jacket. But, I always wear it with high heels (4 inch). Also, me being 5 foot 4, I agree with Leyla that they make shorter people look taller. :flower:

I think High waisted trousers are really cute, especially if you do it with the whole man-tailored look. I can see how some people would get it way wrong and look like they are being swallowed by their jeans. As long as your boobs dont rest on your belt you should be fine,

I am making it my mission to find some sailor-inspired high waisted trousers, or even shorts ( a la Nicole Richie in the Candids thread ).... Does anyone know who those shorts are by? Maybe I'll just crop a pair of high waisted pin stripes...?!

IMO the high waisted trouser is so well polished and chic - much more so than any pelvic-bone revealing hipster pant. I can't wait to find some!

I LOVE THIS trend!
I want a pair, like today!
Ever since I saw them in SATC, when Carrie had jury duty and she was kissing Jack on the steps of that building... oh I so love them!

cate_blanchett8.jpg
i like those trousers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sfan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->