How will you dress when you're older?

While I'd like to dress like Susan Sarandon, I'll probably end up looking more like my mum... :rolleyes:

I love wearing heels & hope to do so as long as possible :P

I suppose my style has become a bit more ... dignified, I guess. I think the way I'm dressing now is fairly sustainable ... I guess it all remains to be seen :wink:

I would give an answer but I might change my mind when I get there. I pay attention to what people wear and can pull off for ideas but it's too soon to think about that.

I think i'll probably dress like a major old man. Kind of country squire. Maybe?

Gwenyth Paltrow comes to mind...slim fitting dark jeans or pants, repetto ballet flats, blouses or plain loose tees, and a lot of great blazers & jackets.

I was thinking about starting a thread like this.

Except, I wanted to call it "At what age will the fashion thing end for you?"

At what point is wearing sweaters with candy canes as buttons okay? When is wearing shirts with the dangling kitty "Hang In There" an okay thing to wear in public? When do we let go? Technically, I don't think we give up (if we haven't tried in the first place).

Teachers pull this all the time: the themed sweaters for the holiday season. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna dress fiercer than I ever have when I'm like 40/50 :D

I'll probably have an office job, so lots of suits. Skinny pants, fitted skirts, though. Anything wide or baggy makes me look really short (I'm 5'3). Baleciaga-esque type stuff. Maybe I'll be able to afford Balenciaga, here's hoping!

when i'm a mom..

284eaa.jpg

thesartorialist

^ yes please. Probably pretty similarly to how I dress now. A lot of the elements of my wardrobe are sort of old ladyish anyways. I will continue wearing the bold jewelry I do now, as I think that looks even more fantastic on an older person. Plus I will have my Kelly bag by then to wear with everything:smile:

I´m 41 so I´m oficialy older, and this is how I want to look: I don´t like frilly, never did, but now I stay away from anything that is too complicated or adorned.
I like things to be simple, almost plain, with a great cut and good feel.

I like things that are unique, not in a Isabella Blow kind of way, but still I don´t like the bag everybody has, so I try to steer away from anything that´s too trendy.

I like my clothes to be timeless, and that requires a good eye on cut. To be timeless you have to change a little bit every now and then.

I like things to be a little bit worn out but never shabby. I like garments to have a history, great clothes and great bags can be worn for a long time.

I NEVER try to look younger, and when people try to compliment me saying "You look younger" I say: Thanks, I know you meant that as a compliment, but I´m very proud of my age.

"You look great" is a compliment, but "you look younger than your age" is not.

To be alive is great, to have lived is GLORIOUS. Nobody, not even God can take that away from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ :clap:Love your post.

We are just about the same age, and you express well what I am doing too. I've been going for the simpler as well ... simple yet beautifully made, subtly detailed. I go bolder with the accessories ... without trying (just by getting what I really want) my stuff is different from everyone else's, but I generally do avoid jumping on the bandwagon du jour.

Glad that you liked it fashionista.

I live in South America and here we are in the middle of a botox/plastic-surgery tsunami, everybody wants to look younger and younger.

But it´s still difficult to find forty somethings that are well dressed and who have great style. It´s like a disease, everybody longs for the "juicy couture-midriff baring- permatan- etc " look.

So I rebell by sticking to classic and simple. I pride myself in my rebellion. And sometimes I´ve been told: "But why do you dress so severe? You still can wear....(fill here)

And I think to myself, Why in heavens would I want to wear something because I "still can"?

I don´t dress to "fool" anybody. I dress to express myself, to be comfortable, to live my life. I try that my clothes express my tastes, my loves and my dreams in the best possible way.

Of course I like approval, but I only get a kick out of it when it´s the approval of somebody I like and respect. The rest of the world who prefer young and tanned over elegant and classy: I don´t dress for them.

i'm not sure how i'll dress, but i've often thought that big dramatic prints might be on the list. and long dresses. i think you're allowed a certain eccentricity when you're older that can be very charming. right now, i could easily transition into the "high school arts teacher" that someone else mentioned.

^ I too am horrified by the hot mess that is Botox/silicone/injections/permatan ... I have to believe the pendulum is going to swing back the other way. At the very least those who haven't had any interventions are going to become quite unique :wink:

When I picture myself older I think Chanel suits, Chanel bags, high heels, ponytails, less make up and expensive jewellry.

I loved your post too newprincesita, I really want to feel that confident and not to mention proud when I'm at your age.

Probably just like my mom. She has great style. She does a lot of Ralph Lauren.

Im only 18 and Im actually looking quite forward to dress a bit more mature when im older. There are certain things in whick I woulndnt feel very comfortable today; things that are sort od ladylike...My grandma (ok thats a bit very old) dresses so extremely well, a lot of nice trousers, dresses, coats, cashmerepulloverrs ect. She has the most gorgeous jury. I have a real babyface and if I put on a lot of make-up or jury I look really fake and wierd. looking quite forward to change that when I get older, as I think older people dont tend to look overloaded with accessorize...well of course you shouldnt put on too much. well thats basically what im looking forward to wear; to be more ladylike and mature, have a lot of very good quality clothing and shoes and nice jury, which I have collected over the years!

newprincesita your posts are wonderful..:flower:

here are a few woman who i think look as though they're aging gracefully and dressing wonderfully, whatever their ages..they just look comfortable in their own skin...that's what i hope age brings more of..:heart:

thesartorialist, elle, celebutopia

Attachments

• 98862_lm_122_133lo.jpg
    98862_lm_122_133lo.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 3
  • CKLH.jpg
    CKLH.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DV2.jpg
    DV2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 1
  • martwo.jpg