I'm not a plastic bag - Anya Hindmarch

here's another laugh out loud picture.

image and story from the evening standard via treehugger.com

I'm Not an Ethical Plastic Bag

A few months ago Treehugger reported on the £5 ethical designer carrier bag, made by high fashionista Anya Hindmarch. It came with all the best intentions: launched by Sainsbury's supermarket, profits going to an environmental group, made of unbleached cotton. First it went on sale at a boutique, Keira Knightly was photographed with one, it was distributed as a goodie at chic Oscar parties and it sold out immediately, with bags then being flogged on ebay for over £225. On Wednesday another 20,000 were released at 450 supermarkets across the country. Women stood in line from 2 a.m. onwards to get their hands on this must-have accessory which was all gone by 9 a.m. It is questionable whether everyone in the queue was a keen environmentalist, eager to recycle, but hey--one step at a time. An Anya Hindmarch spokeswoman said she was "completely overwhelmed" by the response and that she hoped "that we have achieved our aim, which was to use our influence in a positive way - to make people think about what they're doing and be more responsible." There is one little problem. Yesterday the Evening Standard revealed that the so-called green carriers were made in China, using cheap labour. And the bag was neither organic nor fair trade. Never mind the air miles. Handbags at dawn: today Sainsbury's denies any duplicity, insisting that it had never claimed that the bag was Fairtrade or organic. It says that it was made in a factory that pays double the minimum wage and complies with Chinese labour law. Hindmarch says that it was shipped by sea. This is an embarrassment for the supermarket which has been making extravagant claims about its green credentials. Activists said that it was bordering on hypocritical and that the whole high-profile episode tarnished Sainsbury's image. Coming to the U.S. on June 20--get in line?

Attachments

• anya.jpg
    anya.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 9
/\ OH SNAP!:shifty: and all those greenies that help the environment, are also promoting cheap third world country labor....just like the GAP's RED campaign. funny thing is, almost all of it says 'made in china' on the tags.......

and on a side note, i went into my local lassens today (our health-food store) and picked up a drawstring hemp co. laundry bag that i am going to use as a shoulder bag with some minor DIY tweaking here and there. 100% hemp with an organic cotton drawstring, made of nepalese hemp of which my purchase helps support the cottage industry in nepal. The tag was printed on 100% tree free paper :15% hemp 85% sugar cane.

all for only $11.99 (on sale) from the NORTH AMERICAN HEMP COMPANY: 1-877-hemp4life

For those who are interested, they are also available now for pre-order on ronherman.com

i think im getting it!! much prefer it over the anya hindmarch bag!

has anyone ordered it yet? is her site safe?

ok i changed my mind already :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...I do not understand the appeal of the Anya Hindmarch bag...:unsure: Why does every one want one?

leyla m. said:
i think im getting it!! much prefer it over the anya hindmarch bag!

has anyone ordered it yet? is her site safe?

ok i changed my mind already :lol:
noooo! buy it!

Oh man, I have mixed feelings about this, this bag`s message is rather immflamatory and self righteous, but whatever it takes to get the bourgeoisie in action....

Inducing guilt in non-enviro friendly peers and creating a elite sphere of "greenness" will certainly be effective, if not exactly ethical...I just wish that we would go for strategies that were a little more respectable....

The means does not always justify the end.....but I guess we don`t have enough time in this case to fight about the "how" and focus more on the "what".

:Pha really?

lucy92 said:
here's another laugh out loud picture.

image and story from the evening standard via treehugger.com

I'm Not an Ethical Plastic Bag

.....There is one little problem. Yesterday the Evening Standard revealed that the so-called green carriers were made in China, using cheap labour. And the bag was neither organic nor fair trade. Never mind the air miles. Handbags at dawn: today Sainsbury's denies any duplicity, insisting that it had never claimed that the bag was Fairtrade or organic. It says that it was made in a factory that pays double the minimum wage and complies with Chinese labour law. Hindmarch says that it was shipped by sea. This is an embarrassment for the supermarket which has been making extravagant claims about its green credentials. Activists said that it was bordering on hypocritical and that the whole high-profile episode tarnished Sainsbury's image. Coming to the U.S. on June 20--get in line?

Would it be an idea to make a 'I'm not an Anya Hindmarch bag' bag ?

joiedemode said:
Um...I do not understand the appeal of the Anya Hindmarch bag...:unsure: Why does every one want one?

Celebrities carry them, that's why.

I understand the reason for wanting one, but putting it in a plastic bag? I swear common sense is nonexistent in some vapid minds.

I think if stores started charging for use of their bags, people would use less or none at all - for example, IKEA is charing 5 cents a bag. Now this is virtually nothing, but it does wake you up. Something as low as 5 cents made me not want to get the bag, and I took my items from my cart, to my car with no problem at all. If I shop at a store and I get a small item/clothing I will usually forfeit the bag as I can shove it in my purse.

I've been meaning to get a nice canvas tote for grocery shopping and go at it european style before all of this hype started, I've just been really distracted with my relationship. :(

If anyone has heard, San Francisco has banned plastic bags. :flower:
http://commongroundmag.com/2007/05/sfbansplasticbags0705.html

Talking about these eco-friendly bags in a plastic bag. I had a similar episode. I was at a line in a supermarket and a woman who was in front of me was buying one of such bag. The cashier put the bag into a plastic bag. And the woman was going, "Why are you putting my bag into a plastic bag? That really defeats the purpose of the bag, right?", turned around to me and laughed.

And she wasn't even buying the AH bag. But well, same logic.

people are putting the anya hindmarch bags into plastic at the stores because they know they will resell it and can't have it accidentally soiled by their other purchases.

i think its silly to pay 200$ on ebay for a scrap of canvas thats made in china.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chanel49
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->