Inspiration for replacing 'rock chic' with a more polished look

I think theres like a big misunderstanding about being a rock chick... ask them about music that is what defines a rock chick... not just the look HONESTLY

Well it's not rock chick, it's rock chic... so it's not about the music but the style..

^well if people wears rock band t shirt - as an example - and they don't know what are they wearing for... just cause it became chic... I think they absolutely should change of style for sure! :D I think rock and chic are too words that match not that well depending which definition we are sticking on it :D

To me, Balmain defines rock chic.
00050m.jpg

style.com

^well if people wears rock band t shirt - as an example - and they don't know what are they wearing for... just cause it became chic... I think they absolutely should change of style for sure! :D I think rock and chic are too words that match not that well depending which definition we are sticking on it :D
I don't think they should change style :blink: I mean, of course it looks annoying, but that's their business. And if they like it/think it looks good, so be it.

I don't dig the rock chic style - nevertheless I'd love to have a Pink Floyd tee (the one with The Dark Side of the Moon cover) even though I don't "do" rock chic. I love that band and I'd wear that tee to death (unless ediewho forbids it, of course :lol: :wink: )

^nah you are absolutely allowed :rolleyes:^_^...like the ones who have no idea... free world! the chic and the rock are two words that made "bang!!!" in my mind thats all:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the ones who have been rocking the look since forever will continue to rock it after the trend has passed. It's part of their style, it's part of them, it's what they naturally gravitate towards. It's theirs.

For those that were truly inspired and came to adopt that style as theirs, it's going to stick with them too. Whether or not they truly love the music(I have a feeling they do. The aesthetic is an outward manifestation of the attitude.), that's secondary IMO.

Then there are those who are just in it because it's the IN thing now and I would say please stop. Rock chic is one of those Carrie Bradshaw things. Done well, it's magnificent. But too often, it's done wrong and it's really, really awful.

Sometimes I am fed up with people's linking between a certain fashion style and a certain style of music. Sure the musicians are styled for photo shots and events, but you should see them everyday. I know musicians playing 17th century music on original instruments who look more "rocked" that rock musicians. And I know rock musicians who look like someone working in a bank.

Actually the "tough" look does not match the rock music at all - that music is very simple in it's structure compared to jazz or avantgarde.

Many of the items used in the rock chic look can be styled completely different.
I never liked the rock chic style which 90% of fashion interested girls in Denmark swear by, but I have quite a lot of stuff which could be styled rock chic - I just style it differently.

For example my biker jacket from Matthew Williamson for H&M. I wouldn't have bought it if it was black, but it is brown (so it doesn't look so rock) and I like to wear it with a 50's style dress.

My skinny jeans I don't wear with biker boots (don't own any), but with riding boots and suddenly they look much more classic.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I don't think it's the complexity of the music that counts. it's an overall attitude that you carry and an aesthetic that you connect with. but I do agree with you that there are "rock" items that can be styled differently. After all, these items were there before rock chic became popular.

^I don't think it's the complexity of the music that counts. it's an overall attitude that you carry and an aesthetic that you connect with. but I do agree with you that there are "rock" items that can be styled differently. After all, these items were there before rock chic became popular.

Obviously you are right - the complexity apparently does not count for them. It just seems a bit funny sometimes - like if you go to a very fancy equipped restaurant you expect to have something more elaborate than your mom's homemade meat loaf... :lol:

I think All Saints might be a good source of inspiration? www.allsaints.com Some of it is rock chic but there are some Rick Owens inspired pieces which might help to cross over from rock chic to a more interesting look. Check out Luxirare's blog too as she frequently dresses in black but always looks polished.

Obviously you are right - the complexity apparently does not count for them. It just seems a bit funny sometimes - like if you go to a very fancy equipped restaurant you expect to have something more elaborate than your mom's homemade meat loaf... :lol:

Haha, I get what you mean. But then again, it's the ambience and the whole set up. Or it might be just mom's meat loaf but more perfect, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->