Janet blacklisted by MTV

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
Rumours are flying over the internet that despite a premiere of Janet's new video a week ago, MTV has yet to premiere it. Add onto that they recently did a poll on the 20 most influential female artistes and she was not on the list. Now people are petitioning MTV to play the song. Her fans are now callign it racism and sexism as Justin Timberlake's video is enjoying heavy rotation,Has anyone heard of this rumour?

janet_wi.jpg

www.tmz.com

Fans of Janet Jackson are in a fury over the alleged lack of support MTV is showing their first Icon.
Many posts on Janet's official message board are complaining that MTV has yet to premiere or even announce a date of a debut for the singer's latest video "Call On Me," which was first played on BET last Wednesday. Fans have flooded the MTV.com message boards with tons of Janet support, but, according to these fans, many posts were deleted by a moderator for "obscene, vulgar, abusive or harassing comments."
There is much speculation over why Janet has been "blacklisted" from MTV airplay, but most fingers point to her 2004 Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction," which was co-produced by MTV, who was fined by the FCC for the mishap.
Calls to MTV were not immediately returned.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^I didnt heard about this rumor and its hard to belive since she was MTVs icon?
I have seen her new video and i am so dissapointed,the song is not good but they totally killed it with the video wich is ridicilous!So maybe thats why MTV dosent air it!:lol: :innocent:

Racism?:lol:How can it be racism when she is the only one not being shown? :rolleyes:

truebluejen said:
Racism?:lol:How can it be racism when she is the only one not being shown? :rolleyes:

Maybe because Justin Timberlake who shared the stage with her at the Superbowl and ripped off her top has not been blacklisted?

Maybe she's not on MTV anymore because she sucks. :shock: like the rest of her family.

Nope, I haven't heard about it until right now :D I've never really liked Janet, she creeps me out, just like her brother.

Well that's one less subpar music video on MTV:smile:

That must be the ugliest belly button ring I've ever seen. No wonder MTV doesn't play the video if that picture has something to do with it..

maybe they don't play it because teens aren't really all that interested in seeing women over forty wearing tacky midriff shirts...

Velouria said:
maybe they don't play it because teens aren't really all that interested in seeing women over forty wearing tacky midriff shirts...

AMEN to that! I couldn`t agree more!

Nobody wants to see Janet anymore with all the Beyonces and Rihannas out there! No racism or sexism involved here - Janet is just over and out.

^ Exactly. I think MTV is trying to get the younger audience like 13 & 14 year-olds. Janet is old news, she's not as hot as she used to be. Justin, on the other hand, is still hot-- especially with the younger audiences.

Sidenote: I hate Justin Timberlake, but his new song is really awesome :woot:

Janet's video not being played on MTV is total bull__. This has nothing to do with her age because last time I checked Madonna is 47 almost 48 and was rocking a leotard and managed to be in heavy rotation on MTV (including TRL the show that is mainly geared towards the teen demographic) - it seems as if MTV wants Janet to continue to pay for the Super Bowl fiasco despite her apology. What makes it worse and is the speculation of racism & whatnot is that Justin Timberlakes new song is being played and he if I am not mistaken was the one who ripped off the material of Janet's ensemble during SB. Not to mention they pretty much altogether banned her videos/songs from her last album Damita Jo.

Regardless of age, or whether or not people like the song/video (I can name plenty of songs/video's MTV plays that I view as garbage including the new Timberlake song/video) for MTV to take away the choice of 'us' the buying public to choose Yay or Nay as to what we might enjoy is ridiculous. Also for them to treat their 1st MTV Icon as if she wasn't anything but a flash in the pan artist says a lot about MTV.

Now is it racism? Hmm...I don't know but MTV's history is one that included them not playing any videos by black artists. Which occured until a ultimatum ensued by CBS saying that they wouldn't allow the network to play any videos by white artists unless they played Michael Jackson's Billie Jean video in 83'.

Is it sexism? Well that could also be the case. Especially when Vanessa Carlton's "White Houses" video was taken out of MTV's playlist due to its content of Vanessa describing the loss of her virginity, yet many Hip Hop songs that are more suggestive such as 50 Cent's Candy Shop remained in heavy rotation.

Whatever the case, this doesn't look good for MTV.:innocent:

The Petition ~ http://www.petitiononline.com/JanMTV06/petition.html

Madonna sucks, too...but they still play her. :rolleyes: :lol: Come to think of it, a whole lot of artists (young and old) played by MTV suck. They might as well include Janet.

I don't think it's an age thing....Madonna is still hugely popular. Janet's popularity is probably on the lesser end of things right now....especially when she's got to compete against Beyonce and all the new kiddies coming in.

They probably have a gauge to see how people react to certain videos or some sort of test audience. Maybe the consumer reaction to Janet's video wasn't high enough to put her on during TRL, etc.

I remember they showcased one artist, M.I.A. and her 'Bucky Done Gun'. I loved that video/song but MTV only played it like, twice, and then threw it out. I guess if the reaction isn't high enough, the video gets tossed.

actually Janet is still extremelly popular...if we are to go with her single that made a jump from 68 to 25 based on downloads only! Ironically, the Beyonce video that they immediately took on is getting negative reviews even from her fans. Dunno about the success of Justin's video but av heard the song and its not the best av seen. I saw Janets video and I love it, I also love De javu, one cant compare them to the generic stuff being released nowadays like Madonna's sorry or stars are blind!

They have no excuse not to play it. If they play "Unfaithful" by Rhianna and other bad, awful songs they should play all bad, awful songs, including Janet's new one. It just gives me more reason to watch MTV2 and Fuse :D

Janet's hot. B) but that pic! :doh: random and orientalist...not interesting at all.

but they should play her video on general principle for all the reasons Libra_Skye18 mentioned that i'm too lazy to repeat.

I new her video was coming out, however it isn't being played on any major Entertainent channel here yet. I have yet to even here the song for that matter. I dont think she has been blacklisted at all, it sounds like a bunch of impatient fans to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->