John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

No, that’s what makes their official account unique ✨.. they multitask genocide with harassing celebrities and keeping up with trending topics lol.
Well, there's no time like the present!! They'll be even busier in this case.

and who will be the next margiela creative director?

The fact that it’s remotely possible now is unthinkable a decade ago…

Feels weird if he’s back at Dior, is there any more to say?

I dont remember his name but I think the head designer of MM6 should take over The mainline and the studio should continue to run the MM6 line but I’m sure Rosso will put who ever Wintour wants at the helm of the house.
all of us, except twitter.com/israel lmao
Count me out. I’m not part of the « all of us »…And for fashion issues related I have to say.

Even though I take the news of him going back to Dior with a grain of salt, there are still non-competition agreements…And MGC is still the CD.
What saddens me the most in a way is to think that the response from his last couture show may actually influence the way he approach fashion in the future.

I hoped we have moved on from that. I think he has explored everything he could at Dior. What would be the added value? He did minimalism, maximalism, every decade in the sun and more interpretations of the 1947 silhouette one human could imagine.

I’m a believer in fashion and that incline for nostalgia is more depressing than ever. I lived the 2000’s and the 2010’s. It will never be as good as the first time so why trying over and over again to chase that?

I guess that’s why I like the non TFS popular designers right now. For better or worse, their work feels now.
Looking so much backward is such a sign of defeat! What’s next, Citizen K will become a IT magazine again?

^ I agree with you to some extent re: nostalgia, but if we weren't swimming in an ocean of mediocrity like we currently are, people wouldn't be so eager to see some kind of return to good old fashion theatrics.

There's only one JG, so one drama-filled show a season led by a couturier won't kill anyone. The average joes and janes will still be around anyway.

^ I agree with you to some extent re: nostalgia, but if we weren't swimming in an ocean of mediocrity like we currently are, people wouldn't be so eager to see some kind of return to good old fashion theatrics.

There's only one JG, so one drama-filled show a season led by a couturier won't kill anyone. The average joes and janes will still be around anyway.
At his own house then…
I wouldn’t mind LVMH giving him back the keys of his own house.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind designers having extended careers, my favorite designer of all time is Karl after all, but for me, Galliano at Dior is a sign of defeat in 2024…Even more considering that the house is doing good financially. I really don’t see the point. What could he say now that he didn’t in 15 years? He was already doing old Dior by him at Margiela…

Why he would back to Dior, thats a book that has been read.
Maybe he could return to his own house and make it a couture house
it has more sense he want to recover his name.
After all Rezo Rosso and Galliano has a big match in creative, quality
there is more stressful work in LVMH wich make him sick and drunk,
with all those big numbers and those hungry euros men
competing with amazing numbers and bad quality,
making ugly cheap bags to sell them expensive: that does not match with Galliano rules.

Last edited:
What is more mediocre than Galliano going back to Dior? Serious question. It's the crowning of the mediocre, nostalgia-bait, self aggrandizing, masturbatory moment the fashion industry is having at the moment. And it's gonna work. I can hear the loud chorus of "yas queen" coming from ig, tik tok, etc.

But as long as he don't put his hands on Chanel, it's fine. Chanel should be a house for forward thinking vision.

I love Galliano, but going back to Dior could be his biggest mistake ever. I just hope he goes back to his own brand only, so he could be free to create whatever the hell he wants (without having to chase another designer DNA).

Full article in English:
Galliano to exit Margiela in autumn, Fendi seen as next destination

John Galliano has decided to exit Maison Margiela in autumn, bringing to an end his 10-year tenure at the Paris-based house.

According to well-informed sources, Galliano has made up his mine not to renew his contract at the house of Margiela, despite repeated requests by the brand’s owner Renzo Rosso that the British designer re-sign for several more years.

Speculation has been rife that Galliano was about to make a major career change ever since he deleted all his posts from his Instagram account a few months ago. It has 1.6 million followers.

Galliano would also leave on a high, since his spellbinding January 2024 haute couture collection for Maison Margiela held underneath the Pont Alexandre III. It blended Balzac, Victor Hugo, burlesque beauty and Paris lower depths, in what was widely regarded as the most important couture statement of this decade.

A spokesperson for OTB said Monday: “As you know – and it is normal in our industry - there are always a lot of rumors when creative talents are concerned. We never comment on them. All we can say is that relations between John Galliano, Maison Margiela and our group chairman Renzo Rosso, are very good.”

There have been multiple rumors about Galliano’s possible next position, with Dior and Chanel as possibilities. Though recent reports from insiders suggest that he may be on his way to Fendi.

The Rome-based house has two creative-directors – Kim Jones and Silvia Fendi for women and men respectively. While Jones has been a stellar performer at his day job at Dior Men, reviews have been mixed about his designs for Fendi, which he joined in September 2020. Fendi also appointed a new CEO Pierre-Emmanuel Angeloglou this May, often presaging a change in creative direction at a brand.

A spokesman for LVMH, the giant French luxury conglomerate that owns Fendi, declined to comment.

Gibraltar-born John Carlos Antonio Galliano Guillén joined Margiela in October 2014, some three and a half years after he was fired for a drunken rant outside a Paris café. Galliano was convicted of antisemitism, though reporters who attended the two defamation trials will recall that according to several bi-lingual witnesses sitting at the café during the incident he never specifically referred to Jewish people in the argument, or in a video that was leaked on social media.

Though the echoes of the video suggest that Galliano is unlikely ever to join Chanel, given that the brand is owned by the Wertheimers, a highly discreet Jewish family.

Moreover, Dior’s women’s wear designer Maria Grazia Chiuri has had a remarkably successful run at the avenue Montaigne brand. Scoring double digit sales increases; creating acclaimed feminist collections and shows; most recently a brilliant Mary Stuart posh punk show in Scotland, that was the cruise collection of the season. Suggesting that her position is highly secure at Dior, where Galliano was the couturier for an epic 14 years.

Unlike at Dior, where Galliano took extended bows in elaborate outfits, he has never taken a bow at Margiela, respecting a tradition by its founder. However, of late he has been more forthcoming for interviews, notably giving an on-camera interview for System magazine this spring.

Dismissed without compensation by Dior, and after a brief one-season interlude at Oscar de la Renta, Galliano signed in October 2014 with Margiela, a division of OTB, the holding company of Italian fashion billionaire Renzo Rosso.

Initially, there were doubts that Galliano’s theatrical and surrealist aesthetic would dovetail with Margiela, fashion’s most famous conceptual house. However, John’s rich imagination built an impressive body of work, driving rapid growth. OTB scored a 12% rise in revenues in 2023 to €1.8 billion, as revenues at Maison Margiela rose 23% in 2023. OTB does not break out turnover by brand, though annual sales at Maison Margiela are believed to be in excess of €400 million.

Galliano is understood to have been well-paid for his services at Margiela, though still less than half the annual salary and bonuses he earned while at Dior, some €10 million annually.

Another executive within the company noted that there have been multiple rumors about Galliano leaving, amid confusion about the direction of a possible next step. “Last week it was Chanel, this week Dior. It’s hard to keep track,” the source sniffed.

A spokeswoman for Margiela told FashionNetwork.com: “There is no official statement or anything.”

However, it is also noticeable that Maison Margiela is not listed on the next official Paris Fashion Week schedule controlled by the Federation de la Haute Couture et de la Mode, which manages the French catwalk seasons. It will however stage an “event,” during the upcoming season – scheduled from September 23 to October 1 – though the exact location and contents for the moment remain obscure.
Fashion Network

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
212vacio
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->