Kanye West S/S 2012 Paris

ugh, terrible. does kanye not understand the concept of "spring/summer"?
To be fair these clothes are going to hit stores in January/February when it's still cold that's why there are furs and heavire fabrics. But then comes the other question: which stores are actually going to buy this collection?:unsure:

I'm so sick of these celebrities that sit in the front row of alot of fashion shows and think they can become a designer. Kanye stick to your music and leave the fashion to the experts.

It's not as if Kanye West's lifelong dream was to be an open heart surgeon, and now he's requesting people to operate on. He likes fashion. And made a collection. It's not hurting anyone, some people here are just so bitter and pathetic..it's..pathetic.

He has the money to pursue this dream of his and he's not remotely hurting anyone in the process. The average person is always told to follow their dreams, push themselves to be better, etc, why do we not allow celebrities the same courtesy? It's ridiculous. If he wanted to make a quick buck this would've been made for H&M or some similar company. This is proof that he wants to grow as an artist and anyone with sincerity should be encouraged!

It's not a great collection. He needs more people close to him to give him honest criticism in this process. To me this looks like exactly what it is, 8 years in the making. It's like an excited kid who thinks he only has one chance to show the world, so every idea that's ever gone through his brain in 10 years made it onto the runway. Next season he needs to start over, think of one concise idea, and nail it.

I think in time he could make something great. I hope he doesn't stop trying.

i think most people are pissed because this is Paris. Paris is like our Mecca you dont play around in Paris. You can pursue your hobbies in NY or LA fashion week but not Paris. This is a sign that Paris is burging in to celebrity culture. I actually wish he made a mens collection and put in some input from his personal style

It's not as if Kanye West's lifelong dream was to be an open heart surgeon, and now he's requesting people to operate on. He likes fashion. And made a collection. It's not hurting anyone, some people here are just so bitter and pathetic..it's..pathetic.

He has the money to pursue this dream of his and he's not remotely hurting anyone in the process. The average person is always told to follow their dreams, push themselves to be better, etc, why do we not allow celebrities the same courtesy? It's ridiculous. If he wanted to make a quick buck this would've been made for H&M or some similar company. This is proof that he wants to grow as an artist and anyone with sincerity should be encouraged!

It's not a great collection. He needs more people close to him to give him honest criticism in this process. To me this looks like exactly what it is, 8 years in the making. It's like an excited kid who thinks he only has one chance to show the world, so every idea that's ever gone through his brain in 10 years made it onto the runway. Next season he needs to start over, think of one concise idea, and nail it.

I think in time he could make something great. I hope he doesn't stop trying.

It's not about "not supporting" him to achieve his dreams. If it is his dream, just like rapping was his dream, he should approach it more seriously. It's not the rap game where you have to come out of the box rapping about how great you are. If he really wants to express himself in fashion, then DO IT WELL, just like he did when he decided to be a rapper. That's the point. What i love about the Olsens is that they decided to go step by step and make sure what their concept and their message was whereas Kanye, Beyonce, and others have really no idea what they really want to SAY in fashion. I think this is a product of being surrounded by too many stylists, too many people barking about their style to hone in and figure out what their voice really is outside of music.

I'm super against people thinking that nothing is impossible...

i think most people are pissed because this is Paris. Paris is like our Mecca you dont play around in Paris. You can pursue your hobbies in NY or LA fashion week but not Paris. This is a sign that Paris is burging in to celebrity culture. I actually wish he made a mens collection and put in some input from his personal style

I think you nailed it. Paris is the thing to look up to after you are bored by NY and Milan, a sacred place and if you want to show there you better be good otherwise we will hate you for disgracing it. That's exactly what happend here. In New York it would've been similar to the local designers but it's not up to par with Lanvin or Givenchy.
But I think the reactions would've been similar if any other American designer or celebrity would've shown at this level in Paris.

Oh my god, the worst part about this whole thing is that he'll dismiss the nay-sayers as racists, jealous haters, etc. who are trying to bring him down, blah blah blah blah :rolleyes: He truly believes he's infalliable. This is what happens when there's no one telling you "NO".

This collection reminds me of something Sean John or Southpole may have put out a decade ago, mixed with a little Tom Ford and Balenciaga. :lol:

I think you nailed it. Paris is the thing to look up to after you are bored by NY and Milan, a sacred place and if you want to show there you better be good otherwise we will hate you for disgracing it. That's exactly what happend here. In New York it would've been similar to the local designers but it's not up to par with Lanvin or Givenchy.
But I think the reactions would've been similar if any other American designer or celebrity would've shown at this level in Paris.

SO TRUE. KARMA.

And also to Fabulyss - SO TRUE. Karma to you aswell.

LOL @ the "non groundbreaking" comments. Yeah, because the Dior house and many other big fashion houses have been groundbreaking in the past 5 years.

The only true problems I had with this collection is the fact that most of the clothes were poorly made and the styling was dreadful.

^ I doubt if anyone was expecting groundbreaking. My guess is most people would be happy settling for not completely derivative.

^ I doubt if anyone was expecting groundbreaking. My guess is most people would be happy settling for not completely derivative.

Chanel and Dior are practically synonymous for the word derivative in terms of design, yet we hardly read these same reviews. The only big difference between Dior & Chanel and Kanye's is the fact Kanye's collection is very poorly made.

Besides the obvious poor craftsmanship of the collection, the actual design is an upgrade from the rest of the celebrity-turn-designer collections, yet people are reacting to it as though it was a Kimora Lee Simmons line.

But I definitely agree with everyone who said this collection would have been better received if it was shown in NY. Why he chose to show in Paris is beyond me and created an unnecessary amount of hype that probably even Lagerfeld himself could not meet. If he chooses to show in Paris again next season, I really really really really hope he hires a better team because the tailoring is beyond bad.

Having said that, is Kanye even the designer? Or is he like Nicola at Mugler and just oversees things? If he's just a "stylist" I'd be even more disappointed since I always thought he would have an eye for what looks good or not because the styling is an issue as well.

I doubt he would be getting these "Ghetto" and ~*LOL OMG Sean John*~ comments if his name wasn't on this collection.

I feel very sorry for him actually. I may be too naive but I feel like because it's Kanye West people are slashing the collection even harder than if it was an average designer. Because yes thisis a pretty average collection, sligthly tacky maybe but we've seen worse and more uninspired this season. And it's his first one, maybe we should give him time before saying that he should stick to music. I don't think people should be stuck into one box, just because they're successful in one field. Plus it's not as if he designed this himself, I mean come on...
As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait before sentence his career as a fashion designer to death.

I agree with you-- it's his first show and sure maybe he should of did a small presentation instead of a show but it's Kanye-- he always does it big.

He's clearly passionate about fashion. If you look at how he dresses, his blog, and his music videos, the collection was clearly, IMO, an expression and an extension of himself. Sort of a hip-hop version of the major trends/designers of today. He's clearly trying to express some POV but it needs some refinement. He needs to continue learning and growing-- he's next collection will be much better I think.

He's kidding right? Its a joke not actually clothing to wear? WTF?? I know celebrities don't "design" their clothing line, but this time, I think Kanye did. These clothes look like only an insane or extreme egomaniac would create. I his case, its both. I did not expect a home run, but not this, but knowing the fashion crowd, I'll bet they thought it was fabulous.

Only wearable pieces I see are page 4 the 4th. outfit, and the white shirt on page 5--13th. outfit.

ETA--
For as questionable as some of this looks, I still hope Beyonce and Tina are somewhere taking serious notes. :lol:
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only people I see wearing this are the fashion models or rock stars girlfriends in their videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->