Karl Lagerfeld For H&m

It was rude of him to say that, but HM has really big sizes! I wear a S in regular sizes, and I can't wear their smallest size. So I can understand him a bit, but it was still not nice of him :yuk:

Kristina said:
It was rude of him to say that, but HM has really big sizes! I wear a S in regular sizes, and I can't wear their smallest size. So I can understand him a bit, but it was still not nice of him :yuk:
that is so not true, i'm 5'4" and 97 lbs, and i wear an italian size 34...H&M size XS or size "4" (their smallest size) is tight on me...in fact H&M clothes run really small...i think its funny that i have to wear a size 6 for H&M!:ninja:

What's funny is that H&M basically wrote him to their balls.

He has no say in it. They are paying him so HE works for THEM. They're probably thinking "Let the former fatso b*tch and whine, we're making money off his name!" :lol:

Heroin_Chic said:
And the question is: does the "average size 44 woman" care to wear Lagerfeld? I think not.

Women who care about Designer Fashion mostly don`t care to take care of themselves to fit into the clothes.

I understand your reasoning but that is so rude. To think that women who don't conform to the ideal standard of beauty don't care about fashion is atrocious. maybe if designers got it into their thick heads that people come in all sizes, more 'bigger' women would care. And people can be a size 42 or 44 and not be 'big'.

To interpret some of the things people have said,
"how can anyone complain about KL's anti-fat bias when 'thin is in' is the mantra for the entire fashion world?"
its like your saying just because he's designing amazing clothes and they are high fashion that its ok for him to be demeaning and its ok for him to 'put down' overweight people...

ok...i found the original thread and merged them...
nice and tidy...

Being a very slim male, I was happy when I heard KL would design for H&M. I hoped to find some things that fit me, for a reasonable price.

But when I saw the collection I was very disappointed. Still too big for me! It was interesting to read that KL didn't want it to be that large.

If he used rude language, I don't like that too. But basically, I don't see anything wrong if he wants to design for a certain group of people. There are still so many other designers or brands one can buy then.

If it is valid to claim that a store does not make sizes small enough, then it's valid to complain they don't make them large enough.

I think it depends on the style of the garment. I'm normally a small on top, but for T-shirts and things at H&M I have to wear a Medium (breast issues). As for bottoms, I fit a size 8 in pant, but a size 6 in skirt (because my waist is tiny, but my butt is huge).

I don't get all the insisting that thin is healthier, therefore people should be thinner. It is healthier to live in the country than in a city because of smog, that doesn't mean I'm going to move out to the country. It's personal choices, if someone is enjoying their lifestyle, and happy with who they are, then so be it. And they deserve to enjoy clothing as well (as long as it is economical to make those sizes. At some point there are too few customers above (or below) a certain size point than justifies including those in the collection).

How popular was the line in Toronto? From the photos it seems very conservative, and slim-cut. I don't know that that style is very popular here. Anyone know?

Assembler, the line was not popular in Toronto at all!!! Most of the stuff went on sale (about 60% off)! I bought some pieces on sale for myself.
I think only the small pieces like ties, rings, and sunglasses were the first to go. The other pieces were not selling in the Eaton Centre location, that's why they were moved to other locations in Toronto after one week or so.

tweedy said:
Assembler, the line was not popular in Toronto at all!!! Most of the stuff went on sale (about 60% off)! I bought some pieces on sale for myself.
I think only the small pieces like ties, rings, and sunglasses were the first to go. The other pieces were not selling in the Eaton Centre location, that's why they were moved to other locations in Toronto after one week or so.

Yeah I didn't think so. Didn't look like it suited the style sensibilities of most Torontonians, though I'm sure that there were still people who liked this style.

I think the farther north you go, the less black on black seems to be interesting. :rolleyes: We have so little colour for most of the year, I think people would feel more depressed by it. That might be why it worked well in more southern climates than northern climates (or not, I don't know where it did, and where it didn't do well.... Anyone have a summary?)

That would be an interesting topic: comparing the style sensibilities of different fashion concious countries/cities (I include fashion concious, because then it really shows what people LIKE to wear, and not just what is available there, but I don't mean just fashion capitols). I'll search for a topic on that.

GERMAN fashion guru Karl Lagerfeld sparked outrage by claiming British women are too fat to wear his clothes.

He threw a tantrum when High Street chain H&M made his designs bigger to fit the average British woman - who is size 16.

The 66-year-old said they had been designed for 'slim, slender people.'

Directors of H&M have demanded an apology from the designer for offending their customers.

Lagerfeld, who runs fashion house Chanel, signed a deal to provide affordable clothing for H&M and his range has proved a success.

But he has vowed to never work with the Swedish chain store again after it dared to increase his sizes.

He said: 'What I really didn't like was that certain fashion sizes were made bigger. What I created was fashion for slim, slender people.'

I don't know what kind of paper the Daily Record is, but judging by the article's tone, it sounds like a tabloid. It seems strange to me that they don't quote KL's actual "rude" statement. He possibly said something along the lines of "They told me they wanted to make larger sizes for Great Britain because the average size there is 16. I refused because the clothes wouldn't have looked nice in large sizes - I make fashion for slim, slender people". And then the reporter played on words to make it look like Karl insulted both English women and overweight people. I mean, I have no idea if that's what happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if this had been blown out of proportion by reporters and angry H&M executives.

Now, the only statement quoted in the article is "I make fashion for thin, slender people". I don't find it that shoking, since he's only talking about himself and his designs. I'm pretty sure every designer has a "type" of women/men that inspires him, and it wouldn't be realistic to expect every type of clothes to look good on every type of body. It's not only about being thin or fat, but also about having an androgyne silhouette or not, having big breasts or not, looking young or old etc...IMO designers should feel free to make designs the way they like - it makes the clothes more personal and unique. After all, there's enough designers out so that everyone can find clothes that fits them.

Of course, it's a bit shallow and childish to cling to this skinny standard of beauty - but you can't control what you perceive as beautiful. And KL has openly admitted to being a futile person, anyway.

I remember people in germany went crazy for the Lagerfeld stuff at H&M. It was all gone in a couple of days! It was on every news mag on TV and in every magazine!
Maybe because he's German....I don't know. Personally I wasn't too impressed by the stuff...so when I finally made it to the next H&M, the good stuff was already gone anyways :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->