Karl Lagerfeld For H&m

Originally posted by Ms. Diorella@Nov 14 2004, 12:09 AM
I'd love to know what he got paid for it, and how much h&m have actually made out of this whole thing! :brows:
[snapback]430307[/snapback]​

Karl is smart and filthy rich so he must have had a great deal on this as well. I don't know how much H&M will earn, they spent huge amounts on marketing but the PR, free publicity and word-of-mouth is huge, it's a marketing stunt. Even if they loose money on the collection (doubtful), the marketing effect will last for a long, long time and will increase profits on the long run. Thumbs up for their excellent execution of this collection (from a marketing point-of-view).

Somebody talked about the huge exposure for Karl, but I think Karl was responsible for the huge exposure of H&M. He's is on top of his game and huge in fashion, he's what Michael Jordan was for Air Max, or Michael Jackson for Pepsi in the 80s.

Future: they will go high profile for sure.

Marc Jacobs could be one of them but I doubt if he's as loved as Karl is.

D&G is very possible, their clothes are already trashy and low class :wink:. (sorry fans, but they are too Beckham for me).

John Galliano could be another marketing dream as well. But I'm scared it will be: J'Adore H&M tshirts and cheap looking.

Tom Ford could do it very well, this could be his kind of thing but it would be a strange 'come back'.

JPG is not popular enough at this moment. Vivienne Westwood: same.

Stelle Mc Cartney: too young and negative image.

Hedi Slimane: not well known among the masses.

Armani, has so many lines he won't be bothered.

And then I thought : VALENTINO, however I don't think he would ever consider this.

Who, who, who? A new discussion has been born :wink:.

i thought it was AWFUL. i didn't buy a single thing. i couldn't have been more disappointed.

UGLY

I would love love love if Marc Jacobs did it. That would be the ultimate best thing for me!

Originally posted by Alura@Nov 13 2004, 05:54 PM
Karl is smart and filthy rich
[snapback]430344[/snapback]​

exactly...so he's probably not really in it for the money...let's face it...he doesn't need it...but it's a great opportunity to get global recognition and reach a customer that would otherwise never have heard of or cared about karl lagerfeld...

i don't think the vast majority of h&m shoppers know who the designer of chanel is...some of them may even think that coco chanel is still alive...

this was discussed on earlier threads and articles posted...karl talked about it himself...
it's part of why he agreed to be in the ads...E_G_O_...it's what drives these types of personalities...
:flower:

speaking of which..i do think galliano would love to do something like this...he's such a ham...
and i think it would also do well...though not as well as the other two...

personally...i would love to see phoebe philo do it...i like her aesthetic, but not her price point... :P :lol:

He already has.....Marc by Marc Jacobs... :ninja: :ninja:

Originally posted by Miss Zara@Nov 13 2004, 06:13 PM
I would love love love if Marc Jacobs did it. That would be the ultimate best thing for me!
[snapback]430367[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Theory@Nov 13 2004, 09:07 PM
He already has.....Marc by Marc Jacobs... :ninja: :ninja:
[snapback]430508[/snapback]​

oh....c'mon theory...marc by marc is HUGELY overpriced...and is nowhere near the h&m prices...you can't even compare...

it's about 3-5 times as expensive...a blazer is over $400... :wacko:

:lol: :wink:

This is true Soft, but the designs are very similar to some things H&M puts out....that Marc line is complete crap.......its a fitting comparison albeit not a valid one with respect to pricepoints....

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 13 2004, 09:16 PM
oh....c'mon theory...marc by marc is HUGELY overpriced...and is nowhere near the h&m prices...you can't even compare...

it's about 3-5 times as expensive...a blazer is over $400... :wacko:
:lol: :wink:
[snapback]430524[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Theory@Nov 13 2004, 09:26 PM
This is true Soft, but the designs are very similar to some things H&M puts out....that Marc line is complete crap.......its a fitting comparison albeit not a valid one with respect to pricepoints....
[snapback]430533[/snapback]​

ok...some stuff looks almost exactly the same...but that's because h&m knock off marc by marc more than any other designer out there...

that's what he's been referring to in interviews...saying he might as well be working for them at the rate they can knock off his designs...the turn around time for copycat designs is so rapid now...that the immitators can get stuff in stores almost before the designers do themselves...

so the designers have begun to try to cash in on this phenomenon themselves...
if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, i guess... :P :innocent:

:lol: ...works out well for the consumer...so i say keep it coming... :woot:

:flower:

I got up the other morning and thought about how i was not going to get my hands in an H&M store with the line, and nearly got on a plane and went to NY.

This morning I called my friend on the Island (Long Island that is) (at like 8-30) thinking that she would be on her way out and could pick me up something. but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO she was gone and when i called her again she was back. Damn it all.

I guess the store on 5th ( ithink thats were it was) in NYC was nuts. There were people crawling over people and the only thing left was the teeshirt (which i kinda thought would be funny to have) and ties.

How much was the Men's bag, sunglasses and the Karl tee??? If ANYONE has extras of the bag or sunglasses, i'm DEFINATLY interested!

PS: As for the next HM designer, i wouldn't doubt it being Ford. He has "retired" and this would be the ultimate, hey look at me! I could only imagine the lines and waiting for your own "Gucci/YSL by HM" . If they raised the quality and made it worth the price. I wouldn't doubt they could make TONS.

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 13 2004, 02:51 PM
and marc jacobs has been dropping hints about h&m for more than a year now...he's mentioned them in interviews with wwd and there has been speculation that he would launch a mass market line, but perhaps it will be a collaboration...
[snapback]430245[/snapback]​
i heard about that line! isn't it going to be called mj or something like that??

perhaps he'll be doing it with h&m :o

Originally posted by Alura@Nov 13 2004, 05:06 PM
John Galliano could be another marketing dream as well. But I'm scared it will be: J'Adore H&M tshirts and cheap looking.
oh my god :rofl:

Originally posted by hilfiger10025@Nov 13 2004, 10:48 PM
I got up the other morning and thought about how i was not going to get my hands in an H&M store with the line, and nearly got on a plane and went to NY.

This morning I called my friend on the Island (Long Island that is) (at like 8-30) thinking that she would be on her way out and could pick me up something. but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO she was gone and when i called her again she was back. Damn it all.

I guess the store on 5th ( ithink thats were it was) in NYC was nuts. There were people crawling over people and the only thing left was the teeshirt (which i kinda thought would be funny to have) and ties.

How much was the Men's bag, sunglasses and the Karl tee??? If ANYONE has extras of the bag or sunglasses, i'm DEFINATLY interested!

PS: As for the next HM designer, i wouldn't doubt it being Ford. He has "retired" and this would be the ultimate, hey look at me! I could only imagine the lines and waiting for your own "Gucci/YSL by HM" . If they raised the quality and made it worth the price. I wouldn't doubt they could make TONS.
[snapback]430556[/snapback]​

mens bag was $70 and the sunglasses were $25. Both are hugely available in Boston. Everything is still available in just about every size here in Boston. If you're willing to buy a plane ticket here, you'll be able to get everythign you want.

-Albert

I'm officially not going to buy anything from this H&M collection. Everything is being bought. I mean EVERYTHING. So I disagree with whoever said that H&M shoppers don't know who Karl Lagerfield is. I think most females that care about their looks and are interested in fashion (which most females are) know who he is, therefore are taking this opportunity to own something that is designed by him.

I couldn't get to a store but I would have loved to buy a piece just as a keepsake; yeah I know it's mass produced and everyone would have it, but i'd just buy something to stash away and then sneak it out 10 years later when no one can tell!
(the commercial for the launch was rather funny though!) :P

i was watching on tv that is sold out in Germany as soon as it was released!

Bought the sunnies, blue jeans, and black cardi with white detail around the zipper.

Tellingly for Newcastle, none of the suits, coats or shirts have sold - just the t-shirts!

Originally posted by twilight fairy@Nov 14 2004, 02:59 AM
So I disagree with whoever said that H&M shoppers don't know who Karl Lagerfield is.
[snapback]430836[/snapback]​

if you read the articles...you sill see that many of the people who are buying stuff are buying in huge quantities and that many of them do not regularly shop h&m...
i am basing this on facts...not simply my personal opinion... :flower:

I went into my nearest city (Manchester UK) purely becasue I was interested in what exactly he'd produced for H+M.
Like a lot of others here, I was incredabely disappointed in what he'd designed.
But unlike most places that have been mentioned, there were no masses of people (addmittedly I went on the 2nd day and not the first) and harldy anybody seemed particually interested in the collection.
There were a few people looking around, but mostly empty.
I guess it depends a lot on the style of the people in the city. manchester has a very individual style and the collection in my eyes was nothing special. Plain shirts and jackets with what I thought were pretty hideous dresses.
I wasn't a fan of the guy before, but even so, was very disappointed.

maskedmannequin, I have to disagree, the collection is well cut and well designed when you put it in the H&M perspective and the limited amount of costs. It's true the items don't look very good when they are hanging there but once they are on they have a nice cut and combine very well with eachother. Although some items look more like M&S lingerie, such as the silk 'hot pants'. If you are not a fan of the Chanel or Dior Homme looks than I can understand your point, the collection is very much based on what Lagerfeld is known for and therefor safe to please his following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LolaC888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->